Changes coming to the Protection Plan

I doubt Dish is going to go out of business because their offerings in HI aren't as robust as the offerings available to conus customers. In my opinion, even if Direct / ATT being able to offer lower pricing, if that happens, would still not drive me to swap providers. I can't stand ATT customer service, and the equipment I've used from both ATT and Direct, is severely lacking when compared to the Hopper systems. Not to mention all the spectrum dish has and now talk of over the top content. I think Dish will be around a little longer than you think.

Posted Via The FREE SatelliteGuys Reader App!

Only time and At&t changes to Direct TV will tell. However just as DISH can get along just fine without Distants, they can too with losing a few subscribers in HI. They practically gave up the NY Market when they dropped or did not pick up the RSN's - and are still in business.
At the moment DISH is equipped or nearly so in the U.S. for the future because of spectrum purchases and established online programing set to get more robust this year. There are already rumors (for what that is worth) that At&t's is more interested in more moves in Latin America where they see growth potential. The other thing, over all these years I have had DISH and been on the forums, do know how many predicted DISH was doomed? You and they continue to underestimate Charlie, just as the Networks and some posters did when they lost the Distants. Again when they decided to carry no RSN's from the NYC market.
Those and other events should be a lesson that Charlie is generally one step ahead. He is one of two providers at this time actually gaining subscribers and has continued to make a profit, yet being one of or the lowest cost provider.

What do you mean? If I try to sign up with Comcast TV service, the first HD receiver is $10, and any additional HD outlet is $10 as well. An HD DVR is $17. How is that better?
I never said cable was better. I was just saying satellite plays dirty too with the fees.

LOL. Have you ever looked at the list of fees the cable companies have? All of the pay TV providers are very similar when it comes to fees. What you need to do is look at the product you have and the final price.

So what some are saying is that the cable companies provide a better service because they won't charge for a service, BUT, I pay more for my programming and have inferior equipment. That sounds like a great deal.

Do any DirecTV subscribers here know if they charge a fee for tech visits? I'm not familiar with how their service works compared to Dish.

Of course I have looked at cable company fees. I haven't had pay tv for about a year and a half because they're all crooks.

Crooks doesn't fit. They're all expensive fits. Some give more for your money fits. Since DISH has been my provider near their begining my answer pertains to them. I know exactly what my costs are or will be, and with 0ne exception of a promotion billed incorrectly I get the correct bill. I have many choices of packages, and of course the choice of leaving anytime as I have not been in contract for a very long time. Receivers have been fixed (twice) for free, was charged a very reasonable price to go to HD years ago, and have been given discounts along the way. Rarely, virtually never do I lose the signal certainly not for more than a couple of minutes or so. (A little longer when I am in Florida)
I mention all that because crooks is not even remotely a word I would use for my service from DISH. And from all I can tell, not remotely a word I would use if I had Direct TV. I won't vouch for some of the Cable companies... :oldlaugh

If you've been a long time customer and are good at asking for what you want then you can sweet talk a CSR person into a free upgrade. Basically the majority of upgrades are free but the customer is to pay the technician visit fee. Now, Dish has the ability to waive that fee if they'd like but a retailer can not afford that. We still get people that will pay us the $95 because they prefer us over Dish directly though.

The only thing is, Dish has in two of the three upgrades actually contacted me, either by a mailer or by phone offering the upgrade and the other was done through DIRT, so I've never had to sweet talk anyone, it was usually offered.

The only thing is, Dish has in two of the three upgrades actually contacted me, either by a mailer or by phone offering the upgrade and the other was done through DIRT, so I've never had to sweet talk anyone, it was usually offered.

It's tough to beat that then.

Seems like they will give most a new part/receiver if it goes out along with a free technician visit even without the warranty on the account. It looks like a money grab to me. They are getting what they can because they know that many people will pay the fee and figure it don't hurt to try.

Dish Network ... the only service I'm aware of where you pay a rental/lease fee for the equipment PLUS have to pay extra when that equipment fails. Even Comcast doesn't try to charge you when their rented cable box fails, they just give you a new one.

Dish Network ... the only service I'm aware of where you pay a rental/lease fee for the equipment PLUS have to pay extra when that equipment fails. Even Comcast doesn't try to charge you when their rented cable box fails, they just give you a new one.

You don't pay a rental/lease fee. You pay an access fee to have programming to extra TVs. Every pay TV provider I know charges a fee for access to additional outlets. The only time they don't charge is when you have the tuner built into your TV like with cable and QAM.

What's funny is that Dish still manages to be cheaper than most cable companies when comparing similar setups. I bet I could start a pay TV company and come up with a package that doesn't charge for anything extra. I'll just have a package that has 150 channels for $100 that includes HD channels, DVR and up to 4 set top boxes. Maybe that sounds like a great deal but it would still be more or the same than Dish or DirecTV, you just aren't seeing the additional fees since they're built in.

Comcast doesn't charge you for failed equipment, that is correct. That is included in their higher monthly programming rates. You pay for everyone else's failed equipment whether you want to or not. And as said before, it isn't a rental/lease fee, it's a programming outlet fee. Everyone charges similar or higher fees, except the government mandated CableCARD.

Years ago when I worked service in cable we had 2 codes for billing. 1 was billable to cable co & the other was billable to customer. It was at our discretion which got used. If the service issue was non customer related like a bad box, weathered drop, connectors, etc I made it billable to cable company. However I worked with guys that made every truck roll billable to customer regardless of what the issue was.

Imo if the protection plan is on someones account & they have a service issue for a failed piece of equipment whether it be a receiver, lnb, node or whatever the service call should be included with the protection plan without additional fees. On the same token if a customer caused the service issue they should be billed accordingly regardless if they have the protection plan or not.

So after reading this thread and finding out that the Protection Plan is going up from $7 to $8, I was thinking of removing it.

What I was wondering, is can I add it anytime I need it?

For example, let's say I removed it today but something happened literally tomorrow where I need a tech to come out here so can I add it back tomorrow and the cost would be:

$8 times 6 months = $48
Technician visit fee = $10

Total cost to me = $58

Does that sound right? Did I miss anything?

So after reading this thread and finding out that the Protection Plan is going up from $7 to $8, I was thinking of removing it.

What I was wondering, is can I add it anytime I need it?

For example, let's say I removed it today but something happened literally tomorrow where I need a tech to come out here so can I add it back tomorrow and the cost would be:

$8 times 6 months = $48
Technician visit fee = $10

Total cost to me = $58

Does that sound right? Did I miss anything?

That's basically right.

Reactions: Tecmo SB Guy
Has anyone cracked how Dish determines what type of customer you when looking at what types of options they provide you for upgrades? I would think if they use something having the protection plan might play a role. But I could be wrong.

Has anyone cracked how Dish determines what type of customer you when looking at what types of options they provide you for upgrades? I would think if they use something having the protection plan might play a role. But I could be wrong.

Nope. Sometimes I'm not even sure if Dish knows.

Dish is the only company I know that bends over backwards everytime a customer complains, this fee change means nothing cause all you have to do is play CSR phone tag and you will get one that lets you waive the cost to nothing to get a tech to show up at their house because they refused to trouble shoot something that was likely simple to fix to start with. As a tech I can tell you it is truly frustrating to also show up for a upgrade when it was originally a service call to start with but they built the upgrade so they would just re-up contract and get not only the svc free but also new equipment when they didn't need it to start with. Instead of being paid twice as the tech should be they only get paid once for twice as much work (not every problem is solved by replacing receiver).

You complain about something to them you get it free everytime and they wonder why they are losing money and then trying to force techs to sell over priced junk to people on the visit to maintain a certain level of pay. I say they should stick to their guns and charge everyone every time for everything that needs to be done after the first 90days after initial install or tell them to go find another provider. Call that bluff and I'm sure 95% of all customers would give in.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)