Changing channels

Aliens

SatelliteGuys Guru
Original poster
May 8, 2009
Virginia
[FONT=&amp]When I switch from channel to channel, I will first get a gray screen, then it will flash to the usual black before the channel tunes in. Try it again and I may get a 4:3 image (black, with gray bars on both sides) flash to gray (sometimes), then to black, to finally being tuned in. This started last night. I’ve tried 3 inputs on my TV and I’ve swapped the HDMI cable. This does not happen when I use my TVs coax input for OTA. I rebooted with no affect. This is puzzling. [/FONT]

Sorry, I forgot to say this is a 622. It doesn't happen OTA where it's going straight to the TV from the antenna via coax. I'm recording OTA now so I can't check to see if it's happening when OTA goes thru the 622. Satellite channels are where I've noticed this. And of course, once I posted this and went down to surf, it wasn't happening. Before I came up to check on this thread it did it once for a split second, the rest were fine. I've had the TV (Panasonic 65" GT30) for a little over a month and never had a problem or heard of a problem with this model until I encountered this last night. If it were a handshake issue, why would it show up now, and sporadic at that?

I did reboot the receiver.

I tried OTA through the 622 this morning and it did the same thing. Also, satellite channels were doing it consistently this morning.

Now this was really weird. While watching MSNBC this morning, there was a promo for Showtime, it went to 4:3 with gray bars on the side, and when that finished, the screen went to gray then back to Morning Joe. So in this instance it wasn’t a channel change, it happened during a commercial break.

This does not happen on TV2, which is SD, but it is taking longer than usual for the channels to switch.

[FONT=&amp]I’ll try a component cable later.[/FONT]

Last edited:
I resolved the problem but I wanted to post so that in case this happens in the future you’ll have this as a possible explanation. I believe there is only one mode on the GT30 where you can get the gray bars on the side, why this is is beyond me. I was watching a SD channel with black bars, and in an effort to get gray bars; I toggled through the Dish format button on the remote until I found them. With Dish this is called the gray bar mode. Once I finished the program, I forgot to switch the format to normal, so what was happening was the GT30, set to normal mode, had to convert the Dish format, gray bars, to normal mode. That was why I was seeing the flashing of gray on the screen. It was while I was watching the same SD channel last night that it occurred to me what I had done.

Thanks for you attention to this matter.

[FONT=&quot]
banghead.gif
[/FONT]

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)