Changing HD/DVR box from one TV to another

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
Status
Please reply by conversation.

KillBilly

Original poster
Jan 26, 2012
United States
I have a question for anyone that may have the knowledge to answer. I just had Directv installed in my home about a week ago. Naturally, the HD/DVR was set up in our living room with the intentions of purchasing an HD television for that room while regular boxes were placed in each of the bedrooms. Well, I had a change in plans and purchased an HD television for my bedroom instead and don't have plans to upgrade the living room TV to HD at this time. How would I go about moving the HD/DVR box to the bedroom and placing the regular box on the television that originally had the HD/DVR box? Is it as simple as just unplugging them and swapping them out or is there anything else I need to do in order to keep this from being a major screw up? Thanks in advance for any and all responses.

:welcome to Satelliteguys!

If you have one cable going into the back of the dvr, then you can simply swap it with the regular box. If it has two lines, you can still exchange them but you will have only one tuner available on the dvr.

Hello KillBilly,

When you move a piece of equipment to another location you have a possibility of encountering some problem or other but most tend to be minor. The way I understand DirecTV seems to be installing SWM in the majority of their installations. SWM is Single Wire Multiswitch. If you do not have a SWM you will need to run a second cable to the bedroom with the HDDVR. If you do not run a second cable the as raoul5788 states you must set it up for one tuner only. When you change the receiver(s) and or HDDVR's around you should go to the DirecTV website and go to your account if you have set it up or set it up as it is useful for information as well as other features on the website. Log in and go to My Account (actually your account) then Account Overview and finally MY Equipment to see what equipment you have and where it is located. You can update this if you move your equipment around or if you get new equipment or have replaced a defective piece of equipment with another piece of equipment. You could also do this by telephoning DirecTV and informing them of the equipment switching. I hope that everything goes well when you switch your equipment.

Thanks for both of the replies. Going to pick up the TV in the morning and then try my hand and doing this...LOL!! Both replies sound helpful, but we will see if I can pull it off...LOL

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts