Channel 125 Disappeared...

Plus a lot of people say they get most of the benefit of 4K via upscaling, and the additional benefit from having 4K delivered to the TV is pretty small. It is basically diminishing returns, SD -> HD was huge, because not only was that typically the analog -> digital transition for most it also changed the aspect ratio, and you can see the difference even on a bedroom TV. HD -> 4K is smaller, though 720p -> 2160p is still 9x more pixels - HDR is really a bigger deal than more pixels IMHO. 4K -> 8K will be almost nothing, while there are now 8K TVs and someday maybe 16K TVs there isn't going to be any big drive to create 8K let alone 16K content.

I'm no longer convinced we will see very much 4K content. There just isn't consumer demand for it, even though a lot of people are buying 4K TVs they aren't going out of their way to seek 4K content. I think that's the big reason we still don't have any real 4K channels yet and it is almost 2020. If I had suggested back in 2015 when Directv introduced their first 4K box that they still wouldn't have a real 4K channel by 2020 I'll bet all the people pushing 4K hype would have tarred and feathered me. I wouldn't have believed it myself!

Reactions: Jimbo and HoTat2
If they do anything 4K will it be on reverse band?

I honestly don’t think enough reverse band LNB’s are out there to put out a 4K version of Sunday Ticket.

Also what do they do for commercial customers, since genies are not allowed.

You would think a bar would want NFL ST in 4K.

They need a 4K set top box
I AGREE 1000%

Most people don't have 85 inch tvs...they have sonewhere around 42 to 55....not much of a true demand for 4k...unlike hd

Sent from my SM-G950U using the SatelliteGuys app!
I would say in the last 5 years< I would say the avg TV size would be 50-60".
42 " are getting real hard to find now.
Most now are 55 and 65 This year, it changes somewhat yearly and by brand.

I have a Sony 930e 65” and recently watched the latest season of Lucifer in 4k on Netflix and I have a 50 mbps connection and couldn’t tell a difference. I do think it makes HD look better. Would having a better 4k upscaler make a difference or is it still needing the 85” or larger screen?

Thats irrelevant when you can make a 30 dollar STB that hooks up to HDMI for people to get ATSC 3.0 signals, like the ones that are coming out in 2020 and also proves my point to satellite delivery.

Also, people buy TV’s regardless and still pay for locals on satellite. If it wasn’t an issue we wouldn’t see 80 bazillion threads pop up for every dipute.
Right, and we’ll need yet another box. :)

Plus a lot of people say they get most of the benefit of 4K via upscaling, and the additional benefit from having 4K delivered to the TV is pretty small. It is basically diminishing returns, SD -> HD was huge, because not only was that typically the analog -> digital transition for most it also changed the aspect ratio, and you can see the difference even on a bedroom TV. HD -> 4K is smaller, though 720p -> 2160p is still 9x more pixels - HDR is really a bigger deal than more pixels IMHO. 4K -> 8K will be almost nothing, while there are now 8K TVs and someday maybe 16K TVs there isn't going to be any big drive to create 8K let alone 16K content.

I'm no longer convinced we will see very much 4K content. There just isn't consumer demand for it, even though a lot of people are buying 4K TVs they aren't going out of their way to seek 4K content. I think that's the big reason we still don't have any real 4K channels yet and it is almost 2020. If I had suggested back in 2015 when Directv introduced their first 4K box that they still wouldn't have a real 4K channel by 2020 I'll bet all the people pushing 4K hype would have tarred and feathered me. I wouldn't have believed it myself!

I'm hoping for holographic TV's before anyone considers 16K...

I have a Sony 930e 65” and recently watched the latest season of Lucifer in 4k on Netflix and I have a 50 mbps connection and couldn’t tell a difference. I do think it makes HD look better. Would having a better 4k upscaler make a difference or is it still needing the 85” or larger screen?
No, you don't need an 85" TV to tell the difference ...
The processor is huge with these TVs, Sony has the best out there ...
However, not all 4k is the same ...

Most people don't have 85 inch tvs...they have sonewhere around 42 to 55....not much of a true demand for 4k...unlike hd

Sent from my SM-G950U using the SatelliteGuys app!

55 inch is the median size in the United States with 65 and above taking a good market share! I saw this at a netflix presentation at NAB as they were explaining how smart tvs increases there market share. Majority of people start with Netflix on a mobile device and after the first month they move to TV viewing of Netflix. Screensize increased when 16:9 became the standard.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions: Jimbo
I guess 4k was a DTV thing and its not going to be an AT&T TV thing? The only way you will be able to do 4k with AT&T TV is through third party 4k APPS? AT&T TV won’t get DTV’s 4k channels or rent 4k movies new release movies those will only be in 1080p?

So tell us what the difference is since most can't see it

Complicated answer, for sure.

Just like you can see the difference viewing the same HD content on two different brands of phones, there can also be a similar difference, of course, on different brands of TV's. There can even be a marked difference with the same brand using different technologies (LED vs OLED, for example).

Now, once you get into HD, and very much so with 4k, size also matters. But when I talk about size, it's not so much the size, but viewing distance. Sony, for example, when suggesting viewing distance for one of their 4k TV's will suggest a viewing distance that's about 1/4 of the viewing distance suggested for one of their HD TV's.

So, given the same content on the same TV (removing the variables I first mentioned here), if you are not close enough given the size of your TV, you will likely NOT see much of a difference between HD and 4k. So, if you have a 4k TV and are sitting too far away from it you are wasting your TV.

On my 65" LG OLED (reputed to have one of the best 4k pictures), if I'm more than 6' away from it there isn't a lot of difference in picture quality from an upscaled HD (to 4k) source vs the same source in 4k. There's a difference for sure, but at 10 or 12 feet away the difference is small. At 5' the difference is pronounced.

So, when folks talk about the difference or lack there of when viewing 4k content, who knows what they are actually doing and doing it on to formulate that opinion.

Reactions: Jimbo
I guess 4k was a DTV thing and its not going to be an AT&T TV thing? The only way you will be able to do 4k with AT&T TV is through third party 4k APPS? AT&T TV won’t get DTV’s 4k channels or rent 4k movies new release movies those will only be in 1080p?

They already said 4K channels will be available on ATT TV

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 2)