Channel 84 - Olympics ?

Status
Please reply by conversation.
For those who have both the OTA and the feed from Directv, which one looks better?

I also have the waivers and no 84. Also on hold with D* for 30 min. I also get 321 on VOOM but had to call and plead with them and they turned it on . This sure is a pain. What is the best way to get Directtv. Last night I was on hold for over 60min and gave up. Anyone have a better number than 1800DIRECTV???? or a menu sequence that get's you through to someone real?

I am receiving it here..I "live" in Dallas....Guide info sucks though...It shows the same thing...Olympic coverage over and over...Going to make it hard to record

Since I could not get the DTV channel 84 for the opening cer. I watched it on OTA channel. The picture was great but the commentary was the worst I have ever watched. Flipped to the analog signal and the announcers were much better and they had graphics on the screen. I woke up this morning and I had channel 84 (I live in Boston). NBC was just running the Opening Cer. over and over again. Where is the games in HD? I give NBC a D- for HD coverage. Like to hear anyone elses thoughts.

I wish the HD channel would be live too. I have this 24 hour delay crap.

peano said:
Exact same situation for me. I called DirecTV and the CSR said I could only get 84 if I had locals (which I can't get obviously and that is why I have the Distant Nets). Something is fubar here.

I get the distant nets, and had them turn on the locals this morning, and still no 84.

It is the same thing as my NBC Chicago OTA station, so i do not even know why i wasted my time calling about it.

Now that the games are in full swing, they are still showing a loop of the damn opening ceramonies. This THE WORST job of providing HD coverage. Show the things that happened today, they are already delayed a few hours, i do not want to see things that are 30 hours old that i have watched on NBC, Bravo, CNBC, etc already.

Sony is sponsering the HD, that is why the commercial keeps showing up. This is truly terrible HD coverage and timing done by NBC. I was looking foreward to watching olympics in HD, not day old coverage that i have seen before.

On another note I went and got a new directv view HD 36 inch set today that fit into the armoire in the living room, it looks awesome, even SD channels. I am reall impressed with the quality of direct view sets than projection screens. At least the SD broadcasts look good on it. A 16:9 would not fit in the Armoire so I went with the 4:3 36 inch, fits in with about 1/2 an inch on all sides. Quite tight (and so damn heavy).

It was really an excuse for me to go to ABT today and play with all the TV's :)

The twit I spoke to at DirecTV (after being put on a long hold) said I was not eligible. She had no clue and couldn'te xplain why I could get CBS in HD but not NBC. She tried to lie her way out of it and said I'd need a waver (which would take 45 days to review. I laughed at the fumbling twit and hung up. Woke up Sunday and it was on. Sad that they can't even figure out things! P.S. The tape delay is pathetic.

Directv has not been on the ball with anything for some time. From botching up that HDTV promo to knowing nothing at all about this station................

The tape delay is really stupid. How many times have you guys flipped on the damn opening ceramonies today in hopes it was something else???

This will be the "most watched" O/C in a long time.........

I thought it was going to be a sweet channel with a ton of HD coverage, but it is the same as my local OTA NBC and is at least 30 hours old.

Directv has proved to me in the past couple weeks that they are total morons with a large portion of idiots operating the phones.

What are "distant nets" that were spoken about? Are other HD networks (ABC, Fox....) being offered on DirecTV?

Not sure where anyone got the idea about the live coverage. The D* guide lists this as "HD Coverage of the 2004 Summer Games." No mention of live coverage at all. I am not sure about the 14 NBC O&O markets but in my non O&O market the NBC affiliate is showing the same content as channel 84, and this differs from it's analog counterpart which is currently showing live coverage. If I am not mistaken it was widely known that this coverage was delayed ...

To SpySat: D* does offer CBS HD on 80 & 81, but most areas require a waiver from any station that has rights for your DMA

I knew about the delay. I just wish they would show live coverage in HD. This would really bring HD to the map.

Neutron said:
I knew about the delay. I just wish they would show live coverage in HD. This would really bring HD to the map.
I agree, it would be nice if my local affiliate had the live feed. Is anyone in an O&O getting a live HD feed via OTA? We are not in Denver ....

From my understanding NBC got approval to show something different on their HD feed than their SD feed. The SD feed has live coverage. The HD feed is just like channel 84, 24-hour delayed that is an 8 hour loop back to back.

Not sure where anyone got the idea about the live coverage. The D* guide lists this as "HD Coverage of the 2004 Summer Games." No mention of live coverage at all. I am not sure about the 14 NBC O&O markets but in my non O&O market the NBC affiliate is showing the same content as channel 84, and this differs from it's analog counterpart which is currently showing live coverage. If I am not mistaken it was widely known that this coverage was delayed ...

The coverage is not live on your local non Digital NBC. It all has a delay of a couple hours except for very few situations. I am not sure where you go the idea that the coverage was live.

No one here thought that it was going to be live, the schedule for NBC HD On MSN has been up for a long time, and none of it was said to have been live. It showed today having the opening ceramonies in HD all day many weeks ago.

If you think the coverage is Live, i will be wiling to place some bets as to who is going to win the medals in each event!!!

Just a quick note, everything running on Channel 84 seems to be running a day behind. They had the Opening Ceremonies on Saturday instead of Friday. This is NOT DirecTV's fault, the over-the-air NBC-HD was running a day behind also. It's an NBC-HD issue.

Lumpius, read my post above. I said that channel 84 is on a 24-hour delay.

The regular non HD programming is delayed in order for the events to fit in prime time. They will not show the live coverage all night and have paid prgramming on during prime time.

It is annoying because you hear who won before the event is aired, on the computer or news or something.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)