Channel change delay

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
In every case when I have seen this, and it always during PTAT hours, I simply do a red button reboot the next day and all is well....

Not noticing any problems with excessive delays changing channels on my HwS with S334. I'll have to check my other Hoppers when I get a chance.

Sent from my iPhone 4S using Forum Runner

I'm seeing no correlation between the delay and PTAT times. It happens to some degree almost every time I switch from say channel 140 to channel 10. Seven days a week 24 hours a day. I am still using S330 so I wonder if S334 will address this problem. I doubt it though since DIRT (Mike) made no mention of this. Speaking of Mike, Do you have any more information for us?

I'm seeing no correlation between the delay and PTAT times. It happens to some degree almost every time I switch from say channel 140 to channel 10. Seven days a week 24 hours a day. I am still using S330 so I wonder if S334 will address this problem. I doubt it though since DIRT (Mike) made no mention of this. Speaking of Mike, Do you have any more information for us?

I don't think it has anything to do with PTAT. I checked this out yesterday on my Hopper and Hopper with Sling and the long lags weren't consistent but every once in while I would get a long channel change where the info banner would come up and then black sreen for a few seconds.

I found when it was really bad, switching between a SD channel (Military Channel, please HD this) then to a HD channel helped. The delay was so long this was my only way out.

On March 3, 2014, the Military Channel morphs into the American Heroes Channel.

Makes me want the Military History Channel more than ever.

American Heroes channel sounds like a politically correct way of saying the Military History channel. I am betting that the name change will also bring changes as to what they will call American Heroes. Meaning you might not be watching anything about the military at all.

American Heroes channel sounds like a politically correct way of saying the Military History channel. I am betting that the name change will also bring changes as to what they will call American Heroes. Meaning you might not be watching anything about the military at all.

YEP. It's going to include Firefighters, Police, First Responders and such. Pretty broad. May include Boy Scout First Aid merit badges.

Example

Here is an example of what I see. Happens on our regular Hopper (without current update and this is the video from it) and the other Hopper w/Sling. Like others, happens under various conditions. In this example I was watching a recording, stopped and deleted it and the channel I was on came on in the preview window in what I would consider a normal time. 1-2 seconds. Then when I change channels to a local channel from a non-local it takes a lot longer. 6-8 seconds, or more. And this was taken Friday afternoon and not during Prime Time.

The Sling Hopper also reacts like this and it always seems to be whenever I switch to a local channel from a non-local after watching a recording or when a local is already on one of the tuners after I watch and/or delete a recording. Seems a lot of this happens after I watch then delete a recording regardless of the time of day. I've seen delays anywhere from 5 to 10+ seconds, typically in the 5-7 range for me.

This issue has to be due to the SW updates a couple of months ago. Prior to those updates I never saw this long of a delay in the hoppers. If I remember correctly, the regular Hopper was slightly slower than the Hopper w/Sling, but maybe a second or so. Attributing it to the fact the Sling Hopper has beefier hardware.

Now, I've read the other posts recommending a reboot or a switching to a non-PIP channel but that is NOT an option any longer. The Hoppers have been out to the customers for almost two years, with the devices in development for at least 1-2 years before that. So there is no excuse for Dish to keep ignoring these problems and offering the gratuitous "fluff" updates like this last one. I still have other truly problematic issues with the Hoppers for about 10 months now that others have also reported and still no fix. But we now have cool new info screens. Good grief...

Last edited by a moderator:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts