channel logo question

Status
Please reply by conversation.

jalexand69

Active SatelliteGuys Member
Original poster
Jul 21, 2005
Memphis, TN
I've had Directv since April 2002; I currently have a Hughes GCEBOA receiver.

I was wondering if anyone with this receiver had received any channel logo updates recently. In particular, LOGO and TV One (and others) do not have a logo in the program guide. In addition, AMC, TNT, and TBS have old logos. I heard once that phone line must be plugged in, which mine is not.

I like this receiver because of its advanced audio outputs into my Dolby receiver. (Since I don't record many programs, I am not interested in a DVR at this time...might homebrew one someday though!)

I appreciate any information that might be provided. j c

Phone line have nothing to do with software/firmware updates, it all depends if the manufacturer releases an update to DirecTV to put into the programming stream from the satellite and IF it is still in there. Some items are removed after time.

Phone lines have nothing to do with software/firmware updates, it all depends if the manufacturer releases an update to DirecTV to put into the programming stream from the satellite and IF the update is still in there. Some items are removed from the stream after a time.

Charper1: I take it then that an update to a Hughes SD receiver is unlikely? A few months back when DirectvActive was in development, I emailed customer support about whether units, such as mine, would be supported. At the time, the representative told me non-D10s *might* be supported but had no information. I took her answer to mean that legacy receivers (non-D10s) would not receive any updates for either interactive or other features. At least I receive the new channels in excellent video/audio.

Do you or anyone else know if we'll ultimately have to swap out receivers in the future? I understand if MPEG-4 compression is used for SD that my current receiver will not work, but I'm hoping to use this receiver until I go HD...I just don't want to be forced to update my receiver when what I have works fine for me. j c

Ultimately I see everything being converted to MPEG4, but that will easily be after 2007 at best; this is my guess as know one really knows. Until you want to upgrade to HD I wouldn't worry about the DirecTV interactive, because you aren't missing anything, and in many cases you could be giving up a better receiver just to get one that has the interactive and to me its not worth it.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts