Channel Master 0.9 meter dish; what H-H to use

Status
Please reply by conversation.

gariac

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Aug 7, 2008
I picked up a Channel Master SMC 0.9 meter dish a while back and am finally getting around to playing with it. It has the altaz mount. The mount (tube) is 60mm. From web surfing, it look like the polar mount is no longer made, so I guess I have to get a H-H, but the biggest diameter H-H tube I've found is 50mm.

Is there some elegant solution to using this dish with a H-H other than using what looks like big pipe clamps. I can see that kind of setup wiggling loose.

Attachments

• Manual Channel Master.pdf
    341.2 KB · Views: 318
  • ChannelMasterPolarmount.pdf
    105.1 KB · Views: 761
The DG380 Is a good piece but it is not a real heavy duty motor.
The Channel Master is a heavy dish and the DG380 may have problems turning it. The DG380 originally was intended for a 1.2 meter dish but they had some problems turning them so they dropped the weight limit, and at one point they dropped the recommended dish size down to 1 meter.

A StabHH120 is SLOW when turning, but a StabHH120 should turn this dish with ease. Mounting this dish on the HH120 should not be a problem. Check it out and see.

Here is something I missed the first time around when I went to the Sadoun website:
STAB AN01 Ring Adapters

Hopefully links are allowed. If not, the link goes to the AN01 rings that fit the 54mm shaft and take it up to 78mm. Now that is too big for me, but perhaps there are rings that take the 42mm shaft up to 60mm.

Another thing I had rattling around my mind was to go to a muffler shop and have them make me a sleeve with ID at 55mm. It might be enough to get the alt/az from the Channel Master clamp to fit. Cars are so good these days that muffler shops have dumbed down a bit over the years, but I could probably track one down that deals with classic cars. My recollection is these shops used to be geniuses with bending and "stretching" tubes.

So trying to track down a polar mount is a waste of time?

I checked out Larobpra's mount. Pretty ballsy to drill a hole thought the tube.

I guess I'll order the a STAB HH-120. So I take the old Channel Master Altaz and use it upsidedown on the HH-120 shaft, or am I missing something here? I noticed Larobpra basically made a new mount, perhaps out of think plexiglas.

The DG380 will handle a 120cm fine. We had an issue with a production lot that had a motor screw that was out of specs that caused the motor to struggle. The screw was identified and when replaced, the motor functions as intended. All shipping DG380 have this issue resolved.

I have sold the HH120 motor before. The DG380 will outperform it hands down. It has faster travel, and auto backlash adjustment over the HH120.

Code:
http://www.sadoun.com/Sat/Products/PowerTech/Sadoun-DG380_HH_Motor.htm

http://www.sadoun.com/Sat/Products/STAB/HH120-Stab-HH-Diseqc-USALS-Motor.htm
Just because it will handle a light 1.2 meter dish size does not tell the whole story. We cannot put any 1.2 meter dish on a motor without taking into account the weight factor of the dish and anything else that is attached to the dish. It would be nice if we could say a motor will handle any 1.2 meter dish regardless of its weight!!!
Here are the weight specs According to the links to Sadoun.
The Maximum dish weight for the DG380 is 31 pounds.
The Maximum dish weight for the StabHH120 Is 37.5 pounds.
The HH120 will carry more weight.

I have both of these motors, and I have been pleased with both of them but I will not put a dish heavier than about 28 pounds on the DG380. I like to leave a little wiggle room on the weight for the lnb and any other accessories, plus leave a little for unexpected snow or Ice.

Actually it's a piece of plywood. The holes were already in the tube.

I had tried to do the upside down mount thing but it was heavy and real awkward and it put the dish too low for my setup.

If you do a search of the site for "motorized primestar dish" you should come up with lots of ideas. That's how I came up with my set-up.

Last edited:
Putting specs aside.

Practical application of DG380 on GEOSATpro 1.2 M dish is working fine for me. Fast, Quite and strong in the wind.

Actually I have an old primestar dish too. Damn heavy. Doing the search on motorized primestar dish was a good idea since they take the same 60mm tube. The PVC shim was done (claimed) with 1.5 inch PVC sliced down the middle. Well, that's a start I suppose, but that white PVC is really brittle stuff. Maybe the black PVC will do a better job.

Now here is what I found funny. This is what I would expect the motorized primestar dish to look like:
[ame="http://www.flickr.com/photos/netbuilder/2203904973/"]Switches on Flickr - Photo Sharing!@@AMEPARAM@@http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2157/2203904973_70af69368e_m.jpg@@AMEPARAM@@2203904973@@AMEPARAM@@70af69368e[/ame]
But this looks upside down:
http://www.sadoun.net/forums/attach...-meter-primestar-motor-satellite-pics-003-jpg

When I found my 84e it had no mount.

I cut one off of a Dish Network dish, and it's working fine. :up

Attachments

• HYPER_MOTOR.jpg
    HYPER_MOTOR.jpg
    47.4 KB · Views: 209
Putting specs aside.

Practical application of DG380 on GEOSATpro 1.2 M dish is working fine for me. Fast, Quite and strong in the wind.

It should work fine.

Code:
http://www.superservicecenter.com/Products/154.php
The specs for the Geosat 1.2 meter dish are 27 pounds for the dish weight. This is one of the few 1.2 meter dishes that have an acceptable dish weight for the DG380. If you put the 31 pound Fortec Star 1.2 meter on the DG380, then you have the installed the maximum dish weight that the 380 is rated for. As soon as you put a lnb on the Fortec, you have gone over the maximum dish weight for the 380, and there are No allowances for any coa:mad:es), switch(es), snow or ice on the dish.

There is a correlation between dish weight and motor life, so it is a good idea to know how much weight you are stacking on your motor. Those who stay below the maximum dish weight for a given motor usually have less problems and experience longer motor life than those that have the maximum dish weight installed on the motor.

I cannot find the dish weight specs for a .9m Channel Master dish with a modified mount. After looking around a bit, I would guess that it will weigh under 31 pounds. I would suggest that Gariac weigh the dish and modified mount along with any other accessories that will be installed on the dish before he buys a motor for it. Greg

Well too late, I already ordered the HH-120. However, I bought a usb DVBS2 from Sadoun, so he shouldn't feel too dissed.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)