Status
Please reply by conversation.

Jim "Spot" Beam

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Dec 5, 2005
Southern Ohio
I want my minibud bad!

My Boston Market closed about a year ago. Leaving a large dish taunting me from the roof.

A visit to Lowe's today brought to my attention the dish was in the dumpster all alone. I took only the dish, arms and lnb. I'll rig a pole here.

Channel Master 1.2 dish, small throat mount, splitting unit for Gilat LN139200 Low Noise Block Down Converter receive and Gilat AN-3422-02 ODU Transmitter.

Can I take this KU transmit stuff off and exchange with a C-band lnb and use the feedhorn and mounts getting both C and KU from the minibud or just plain C?

I want my minibud bad!

My Boston Market closed about a year ago. Leaving a large dish taunting me from the roof.

A visit to Lowe's today brought to my attention the dish was in the dumpster all alone. I took only the dish, arms and lnb. I'll rig a pole here.

Channel Master 1.2 dish, small throat mount, splitting unit for Gilat LN139200 Low Noise Block Down Converter receive and Gilat AN-3422-02 ODU Transmitter.

Can I take this KU transmit stuff off and exchange with a C-band lnb and use the feedhorn and mounts getting both C and KU from the minibud or just plain C?

thats a big dish. you should tell us what you can do with it. i know itll do lots of ku. and i know it can minibud at that size. god bless your efforts ad keep us pic dated (updated with pics).

crackt out,.

Gilat TX/RX Pix

Finally got the picture off my phone.

Hope this isn't too large but shouldn't from a phone.

I think the TX, RX and even the splitter will remove. Can I tack some type of C-band lnb block on here and use the throat and mount already with the dish?

I have a few of those C-band blocks lying around (unless those have too large a degree for a minibud). I would think I could just transfer it over to the new small throat feedhorn.

I picked up one of those C-2 and one of those Devo hat doo-hickey things a while back too with a mount for the 1 M Fortec Star dish. I'll have to rig something due to the difference in mounting at the end of the dish arms.

Attachments

• Photo0032.jpg
    Photo0032.jpg
    99.4 KB · Views: 234
I have a Andrew Type 120... which is basically as far as I understand, a Channel Master 1.2m dish. I took off the top half of the LNB clamp, and haha yeah.. used good ol duct tape to put the C-Band LNB on... put the normal scalar ring on, and put it as far back along the lnb arms as she would go... Im watching it right now on The CW @ 97W with a 70% quality on a Coolsat 6000....

Now, I have mounted my Chapparall Corotor II on there with the same setup... and yes, KU and C work... to various degrees...

There is nothing wrong with experimenting... Bust out that roll of duct tape...

have fun.

edit... as you see in my avatar... thats the Andrews 120 w/ WSI LNB

Jim, that looks like a C-120 Ku feedhorn. The entire Tx/Rx assembly and waveguides (the "splitter") should come off, leaving you with just the feedhorn. You can add a C-120 LNB to that for Ku. For C-Band, I know Andrews/CM manufactured a C-Band feedhorn for that dish and their 6 footer. The feedhorn was a "Devo-hat" design, and included a holder that would fit to the original feed support poles that was designed for the new feedhorn.

Can you post a picture of the entire dish, with close ups of the feed supports?

Oh, and congrats on that great find! Was the NPRM (roof mount) in the dumpster with the dish? That part is very valuable as well...

I follow

Jim, that looks like a C-120 Ku feedhorn. The entire Tx/Rx assembly and waveguides (the "splitter") should come off, leaving you with just the feedhorn. You can add a C-120 LNB to that for Ku. For C-Band, I know Andrews/CM manufactured a C-Band feedhorn for that dish and their 6 footer. The feedhorn was a "Devo-hat" design, and included a holder that would fit to the original feed support poles that was designed for the new feedhorn.

Can you post a picture of the entire dish, with close ups of the feed supports?

Oh, and congrats on that great find! Was the NPRM (roof mount) in the dumpster with the dish? That part is very valuable as well...

Valuable yes, and enormous! Two giant I-beams bolted through at least 20 cinder blocks. The NCAA picks were in an hour and I barely talked my wife into letting me go back and get the dish. (I have another NPRM from a 1 meter found last year it isnt as large.)

NPRM vs NCAA vs Me RIP. I remembered my Sun Tzu "Art of War," this was a quick guerrilla action so I took the NCAA and home happiness. 3 1/2 inch pipe is cheaper than a divorce.

Go Louisville Cards!

Attachments

• Photo0033.jpg
    Photo0033.jpg
    296.3 KB · Views: 233
The C-Band CM/Andrews feed I have is probably for the newer model of that dish. It has bolt holes on all three sides (left, right, and bottom). The feed in your picture has them only on the left and right, with the bottom having the tube fit directly into the assembly. On many CM dishes, all three tubes fit into the assembly, as is the case on my 1 meter CM. There are many variations of the CM/Andrews dishes, and their design has changed somewhat over the years.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)