channelmaster/primestar dishes & other stuff - newbie

Status
Please reply by conversation.
Should I go to the Post office and ask price quota? BTW, it is written on the box "made in USA" IMG_20150927_175020a (Large).jpg , so should be lots of such a mechanisms at your side of the ocean. IMG_20150927_175020 (Custom).jpg

"Made in the USA" and "Sold in the USA" are two different matters! LOL!!!

I remember seeing these on the Channel Master site back in early 2000, but doubt many were sold in North America as the majority of CM dishes were sold with fixed satellite AZ/EL mounts. There was a warehouse full of stock that was disposed of when Channel Master was sold. I suspect most of these low demand products ended up in a landfill.

Does that mount allow for the additional 20+ degrees of "downtilt" needed with a typical offset focus dish?
Sorry, I maybe do not fully understand the question. This mount is for CM 1,2m dies which has 22,6* offset angle. Dish should be attached by 4 screws directly to the mount.

Sorry, I maybe do not fully understand the question. This mount is for CM 1,2m dies which has 22,6* offset angle. Dish should be attached by 4 screws directly to the mount.

Whenever I have installed an offset dish on a polar mount I have had to fabricate something to allow the dish to "decline" the additional amount required by the offset. I was unable to get enough travel (declination) with a standard unmodified polar mount to get it to track the arc.

OK, I think I understand now - you were using Polar-mount designed for PFA and installed on it Offset dish. No, this Polar-mount is already made for offset dish and existing elevation and declination adjustments have enough movements to adjust the dish.

OK, I think I understand now - you were using Polar-mount designed for PFA and installed on it Offset dish. No, this Polar-mount is already made for offset dish and existing elevation and declination adjustments have enough movements to adjust the dish.

Yes, you understand. I should have stated that the polar mounts I used were for prime focus.

The mount you pictured would be a great deal at 30, 40 or 50 Euros, wish I could find a few around here, but as Titanium mentioned, they seem to be rather rare. Seen hundreds of the AZ/EL mounts but never a polar designed for an offset. Hope you are able to get it for a fair price.

I can get it (actually already got one) for 35 EUR, and there are still some available (limited amount). Of course, if shipment cost to USA is added (could be a lot) than total price is not so attractive anymore.

In the Post office they said if package less than 5 kilos than shipment to USA will cost about 33 EUR.

I believe that rate is quoted for international economy package service?

Be careful with international economy postal service. That service level estimates between 1 - 999 days for delivery and the package is not covered with insurance or provided delivery notifications. I have had several bad experiences with missing packages using international economy postal services.

There was a warehouse full of stock that was disposed of when Channel Master was sold. I suspect most of these low demand products ended up in a landfill.
:eeek Sad when you think about it. I'd love to have an original Channel Master polar mount (new or used) for the offset 1.2m, I have two of them that are begging.

since my last post in sept i've made some (not quite glacial) progress . . . in nov i got the dish up on a 3" post next to my garage with the regular heavy mount to make sure stuff worked b4 going on. initially i was challenged to find 97 which surprised me since i figured with a 52" dish i could get some signal from well off the sweet spot (watching an old tv hooked up on the roof). spent an hour or so pointing b4 i gave up & enjoyed the holidays. i remembered my viewsat tuner i borrowed to someone because it beeps out the signal strength & got that back & tried again where i didnt need to see - just listen. that took about 15 minutes of sweeping & tipping the dish to get on the signal & another 5 to zero in, tighten up & set the skew. scanned the sat for channels & got some but have some questions about hardware & what i need to get it working properly. any help is appreciated

1. Primestar "beer can" LNBF - NJR2162F which ziggy1222 says "is a single output with a internal 13/18v switch - harder to find but not impossible, newest version" .. the label says NJR2162F, but there are 2 outputs - V & H, likely an original/old version. it doesn't seem to have an internal switch, or i dont know proper settings. scanning channels on either side finds V or H channels respectively as one might expect, but not both V & H. not really a problem, but wanna make sure i'm understanding right.

2. the multiswitches i have - zinwell SAM-4803 4x8 multiswitch, channelmaster 6904IFD 4x4 multiswitch - either are broken, need a power inverter or both. i tried both by running the H (18v) lead from the lnb thru the switch from every input (13v 18v 13v-22Hz 18v-22Hz) and there was no signal being passed thru at all. i saw the zinwell has a 24V-750mA input & i could probably find something close (it came with no P/S & i didnt know it might need one until i put google to work). is power needed for one input & one output for both? where is the proper placement if they need one?

the lame fix for now is a diseqc switch & changing ports to get to V or H channels. once i understand these switches better, i'll hopefully get a full blind scan. thanks again for your help & attention.

i saw the zinwell has a 24V-750mA input & i could probably find something close (it came with no P/S & i didnt know it might need one until i put google to work). is power needed for one input & one output for both? where is the proper placement if they need one?

zin power.jpg

The power to the Zinwell SAM-4803 goes to the red circled connector only.
It will not work without a power supply.
If you re looking to get another power supply, it would not hurt to go 1 amp or higher.
I like the Zinwell switch, I am currently running four of them.

If you have trouble finding a power supply, member wallyhts sells the switch and power supply pretty cheap and use the one you have as a spare:
http://gotcband.com/products/zinwell-sam-4803

Yeah, those early 'beer can' 2 output LNBF's require a multiswitch. (I have 2) I needed to 'fiddle' with the skew. Seems the one I have in use needs to be about 20° CCW of the skew marks on it.

The 6904IFD is passive - no power supply needed. V should connect to 13v, H to 18v. The two 22Khz labeled ports require you also turn on (program) the 22Khz On to select those ports.

thanks guys for the info.
fred555 - i was gonna check with a few people for a 24v P/S.. i was more concerned about how it's connected since i cant find any pics or manual showing this. can you comment more on wiring a generic P/S (power to center, ground/neutral to ground)? any big difference if plugged in 10' away in garage vs. 70' away in house?
FaTAir - so the 6904IFD must be faulty - got no joy with it setup as you described, 22Khz or not

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts