Channels Exclusively on Flex and other packs but NOT available on AT Packages

They are listed as being part of the FlexPack.
I like Dish too, but come on, you don't have to defend them every time they do something stupid.
I am a Dish shareholder, and certainly wish the company well and hope it grows. But that doesn't stop me from complaining when they do something as blatantly stupid as putting some of the first new channels they have launched lately exclusively in their "economy" package and making them unavailable in higher tiers.
Same thing with BBC World Service, it is in DirecTv and all the big cable operators highest tier packages and in HD too. They could have used the space they were using for Aljazeera America HD for BBC World Service HD.

I agree about BBCWN and have said that from the day they had it in the Sling package. But the others only if part of an add on package. If that is what you mean I agree, but once again we don't know yet what their plan is. I don't want them in the Top package I have, so I will be critical if they add them and I then have to pay for them. You are mistaking me not criticizing for something they have done wrong, so far for me they have not. YET.

I agree about BBCWN and have said that from the day they had it in the Sling package. But the others only if part of an add on package. If that is what you mean I agree, but once again we don't know yet what their plan is. I don't want them in the Top package I have, so I will be critical if they add them and I then have to pay for them. You are mistaking me not criticizing for something they have done wrong, so far for me they have not. YET.

They won't increase the price of your AT package just because they add those, right now. They'll increase the package price $5 in Q1 next year anyway, so they might as well add something in them.
The list of channels in the FlexPack list the MTV Suite in there so seems their "confined" to it for what ever reason.
Just because Dirt doesn't have them listed doesn't mean anything. The customer service department at Dish are usually the last to know anything anyway.

Reactions: Jim S. and Troch77
It has been the theme by most that the escalation of prices has to stop. Adding channels no one wants has to stop. The suite theme channels are no different than adding more sports or other theme channels like cartoons that people don't want to pay for. I don't want them unless they are an add on that we have control over paying for or not.
Your assertion that these channels won't make my cost go up when increases come, well there is nothing I can possibly say to that except really? DISH is getting those for free and passing them on for free? Your thinking is what got us to this point, it was what we wanted till costs got out of hand but now realize all the channels that cost not much but added together do cost alot especially when the major percentage of people don't watch them. Having it all in one package just isn't cost feasible for many anymore. I see the Flex package as proof of that.
In the end there is no sense in coming to any conclusions YET as to what will be taking place.

They are listed as being part of the FlexPack.
I like Dish too, but come on, you don't have to defend them every time they do something stupid.
I am a Dish shareholder, and certainly wish the company well and hope it grows. But that doesn't stop me from complaining when they do something as blatantly stupid as putting some of the first new channels they have launched lately exclusively in their "economy" package and making them unavailable in higher tiers.
Same thing with BBC World Service, it is in DirecTv and all the big cable operators highest tier packages and in HD too. They could have used the space they were using for Aljazeera America HD for BBC World Service HD.
I take back any previous negative comments I've made to you in the past.

Samsung Galaxy S6 Active

Reactions: bobvick and Tampa8
It has been the theme by most that the escalation of prices has to stop. Adding channels no one wants has to stop. The suite theme channels are no different than adding more sports or other theme channels like cartoons that people don't want to pay for. I don't want them unless they are an add on that we have control over paying for or not.
Your assertion that these channels won't make my cost go up when increases come, well there is nothing I can possibly say to that except really? DISH is getting those for free and passing them on for free? Your thinking is what got us to this point, it was what we wanted till costs got out of hand but now realize all the channels that cost not much but added together do cost alot especially when the major percentage of people don't watch them. Having it all in one package just isn't cost feasible for many anymore. I see the Flex package as proof of that.
In the end there is no sense in coming to any conclusions YET as to what will be taking place.
You need to remove Blinders.
You are not getting his Valid point.
I understand exactly what he means.

And he never once said anything about Dish adding channels for free.

A pack that has never existed certainly didn't pay for anything in the Flex pack.

The America Top customers money paid for those, so with that in mind there is absolutely no excuse for any bottom of the barrel pack to have exclusive channels not available in the Top packages. Period.
Unless you are looking for a money grab...

Samsung Galaxy S6 Active

You need to remove Blinders.
You are not getting his Valid point.
I understand exactly what he means.

And he never once said anything about Dish adding channels for free.

A pack that has never existed certainly didn't pay for anything in the Flex pack.

The America Top customers money paid for those, so with that in mind there is absolutely no excuse for any bottom of the barrel pack to have exclusive channels not available in the Top packages. Period.
Unless you are looking for a money grab...

Samsung Galaxy S6 Active
But we don't know that yet is the first most important thing. But second, even if true and it has not happened before, good, glad to see the change from adding everything and making the package not affordable. And when he said it wouldn't add to the cost of the package, either that means DISH is eating the cost or they are getting it for free.
I hope DISH didn't add that suite and it has to go into the Top package. Hopefully they only added them to get a deal done but with add ons in mind.

Last edited:
Reactions: MikeD-C05
I don't think you have anything to worry about, they're not going to add those to the AT packages if they were, they'd have added them by now.

That being said, you just watch, your AT package will go up $5 per month in January or February of 2017, and you (probably) won't get a single new SD or HD channel between now and then. It happens every year with every provider. You can mark my word.

So it won't make a dimes worth of difference whether or not they put that MTV Suite in the AT packages or not.

I think that is the point that you are missing that I am trying to make.

If they put a price freeze on and said "OK, we are not adding anything else to the AT packages, AND we will FREEZE the price at 2016 levels." I would be all for it.

But, they are NOT going to do that, and the price is going to continue to rise, and they are (more than likely) not going to add anything to them.

So your line of thinking, that their adding channels to the AT packages is what is making them go up, is a moot point. The price is going up any way you look at it. Just like it will on DirecTV, Charter, Comcast, FiOS, Prism, and any other MVPD.

Reactions: Jim S. and Troch77
But not as much as keeping to add channels almost no one watches. Cost of living alone will raise the cost, new contracts will raise the cost. I'm hoping it does not go up $5 again.

But not as much as keeping to add channels almost no one watches. Cost of living alone will raise the cost, new contracts will raise the cost. I'm hoping it does not go up $5 again.
I can wait until the Flex pack is over $50.
You know that package isn't going to remain price stable.
And the fact that Charlie has so many packs he can raise $1 on,
Well that's going to be interesting to say the least.

I bet this all flips back around and the AT packs will still be the actual value leader.

Samsung Galaxy S6 Active

They will. The price of cable/satellite programming has risen much faster than inflation.
In 2007, AT200 was $47.99, adjusted for inflation, it should be about $56 regular price. Instead it is $79.99.

It seems that the OP is finding the AT250 has been and still diminishing in value. This is also true of AEP. While I would LOVE for Dish to keep the value of AEP high and true to its name (a few channels have always not been included), and add all the Flex pack only channels, after all, considering the cost, AEP subs deserve it, I doubt it will happen as it would cost Dish money to so and only add them of the content providers demanded it.

What we are seeing is a business in flux. They are having to adapt, and the Flex Pack is about appealing to the cord cutters and the cord nevers who find the current channel package prices on all MVPD's to be too much money. The Flex pack aint for those of us who still prefer the traditional experience with robust DVR's, etc.

Reactions: Tampa8
All the Flex pack addons are over priced for the number and quality of channel that you get. Plus the locals used to be $5 as an add on and now they are $10,because the locals keep jacking up the price on every contract negotiation. That's double the old price for channels that are free OTA. I only get the locals, to get the tv guide for them. If Dish would add the tv guide for the locals, I would subscribe to the Flex pack without any addons.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts