Channels Exclusively on Flex and other packs but NOT available on AT Packages

My guess is that eventually it's going to be flex and a bigger base packaged based on AT120 with different addon packsge of channels like Sling is doing. So soccer package gets NBCSN, BeIN, FS1/2, etc you get the picture. Also maybe a pick X number of channels for $y for those that still find the addon packages as bloated.

So in this case the basic Viacom channels are in base and the extras are in a Viacom package. Basic NBCU channels are in base and the extras are in an NBCU package. That way the companies can still bundle but if their deadweight is actually deadweight they don't get much money from them and have to take hard looks at it.

So in a way it would eventually force the consolidation that is sorely needed at this point in the industry.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

That is along the lines of what I could see happening, and could be why DISH has had so many protracted contract negotiations. I really do believe they found a way to let the programmers put their lesser watched channels into the contract with the main ones but not make everyone pay for them. Can we really imagine DISH would agree to carry those new music channels if they had to be in the full packages? I hope not.

Reactions: ChadT41
Have you contacted the owner of these channels ? It's entirely possible that they either dictated or requested Dish to offer them only in the Flex packages.

Would common sense not dictate they would want the widest distribution possible for their channels? If so, they should be in AT200 at the least, I think I remember reading it was Dish's most popular package.

Would common sense not dictate they would want the widest distribution possible for their channels? If so, they should be in AT200 at the least, I think I remember reading it was Dish's most popular package.

But to that point Dish doesn't want those channels at all. So they say "okay cool you can add those channels but they must be in an addon package only"

If so, they should be in AT200 at the least, I think I remember reading it was Dish's most popular package.
I'm skeptical that that is the most popular package. I'd lean more towards AT120 because of the lower cost. I don't believe more people have higher-priced channel packages vs lower-priced ones. There's a really good reason why Dish is offering new, low-cost packages too and I'd say it's because it's what customers want.

Reactions: KAB and MikeD-C05
I'm skeptical that that is the most popular package. I'd lean more towards AT120 because of the lower cost. I don't believe more people have higher-priced channel packages vs lower-priced ones. There's a really good reason why Dish is offering new, low-cost packages too and I'd say it's because it's what customers want.

I don't agree.
The ARPU is $90
That number doesn't come from more customers subscribing to under $90 per month accounts.

While Top 120 maybe the most popular package, That's still $65.
now add your Hopper and one room.
and your already only $3 shy of the ARPU.

Samsung Galaxy S6 Active

Reactions: Tampa8 and bobvick
I just found a reference from Dish Network that stated AT120 was the most popular. This was from 2010 though.... A news article from 2011 also states that AT120 is the most popular.

At one time it was according to DISH, but that was sometime ago and since I think I have read Top 120 was but I can't be certain. It was Top 200 at one time for sure.

But to that point Dish doesn't want those channels at all. So they say "okay cool you can add those channels but they must be in an addon package only"

They are not in an add on pack. It would make more sense if they were, but they're part of the FlexPack core, and ONLY in the FlexPack core.

They are not in an add on pack. It would make more sense if they were, but they're part of the FlexPack core, and ONLY in the FlexPack core.

An add on pack to the Top packages... Also BBCWN is an add on to Flex. It's just so hard to know what negotiations were on all this. Maybe they negotiated to not be in the full packages but insisted on being in the Flex Package then so someone would pay for them... :)

An add on pack to the Top packages... Also BBCWN is an add on.

BBC World is is an add on package. But the MTV Digital Suite is not, if it is, please show me what that add on pack is that has those channels. You can't have an AT package and the FlexPack.

BBC World is is an add on package. But the MTV Digital Suite is not, if it is, please show me what that add on pack is that has those channels. You can't have an AT package and the FlexPack.

YET. We do not know how this will shake out and what add ons will be available. What I meant was those channels not being part of the Top packages when you said they are not an add on pack they are part of the package, I meant not the Top packages.

If you want a combination of everything the TOP 200 to me is the best value unless all the channels you want are in the Top 120+. If you don't want a combination of everything previously it was the Top 120 (not +) that was the best for you but now it is the Flex system.

YET. We do not know how this will shake out and what add ons will be available. What I meant was those channels not being part of the Top packages when you said they are not an add on pack they are part of the package, I meant not the Top packages.

I didn't say anything that wasn't or isn't true. Right now they are only in the FlexPack and you can't get them in any other package. That could change ultimately, but I don't look for it to.

I didn't say anything that wasn't or isn't true. Right now they are only in the FlexPack and you can't get them in any other package. That could change ultimately, but I don't look for it to.

We currently do not have any official announcements, or information in our system that these channels have even launched, let alone that they are part of any package. We have sent questions about this up the ladder, but at this time anyone that calls about this will not receive information they are looking for until information is released.

DIRT couldn't be more clear nothing has been announced yet, no info yet, so YET is the operative word. They could be in packages, not be, be in new packages, we don't know YET.

Are they all turned on in the Flex package? I'm thinking they were but not sure.

Remember the voom channels? People had to yell and scream before they could purchase them

Reactions: stardust3
DIRT couldn't be more clear nothing has been announced yet, no info yet, so YET is the operative word. They could be in packages, not be, be in new packages, we don't know YET.

Are they all turned on in the Flex package? I'm thinking they were but not sure.

They are listed as being part of the FlexPack.
I like Dish too, but come on, you don't have to defend them every time they do something stupid.
I am a Dish shareholder, and certainly wish the company well and hope it grows. But that doesn't stop me from complaining when they do something as blatantly stupid as putting some of the first new channels they have launched lately exclusively in their "economy" package and making them unavailable in higher tiers.
Same thing with BBC World Service, it is in DirecTv and all the big cable operators highest tier packages and in HD too. They could have used the space they were using for Aljazeera America HD for BBC World Service HD.

Reactions: Jim S. and Troch77

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts