Channels that are included in Locals Only core package - Updated June 2022

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

pattykay

formerly crodrules
Original poster
Jun 14, 2014
North Central Ohio
Other than the local channels, obviously. In other words, this is a listing of all of the "free" channels on Dish that are included in every package subscription. I posted this listing awhile back, when I first subscribed to Locals Only. However, there have been major changes to the channel lineup since then. So, I thought it would be best to start a new thread with the current updated list.

While the monthly free preview channels are also included, I am omitting those channels from this list since I maintain a separate list for those channels in another thread.

(Note: "ViP" designation on certain channels below also applies to older SD-only receivers)

71 QVC (SD and HD)
72 VALU
73 QVC3
74 HSN (SD and HD)
81 ICTV
82 FETV
83 JTV
85 EPIC
86 MALL
87 SMART
88 SHPLC
94 RENEW
95 DEAL
100 Dish Home (ViP) / Multi-Channel View (Hopper interface)
101 Dish 101 (ViP only)
102 Dish Studio (SD and HD)
103 PREVW (SD feed)
103 Hopper How To (HD feed) (Hopper interface only)
104 VALU
123 MALL
134 SHPHQ
137 QVC (SD and HD)
198 Dish Scape 2 (streaming only) (Hopper interface only)
199 Dish Scape 1 (HD only)
210 CSPAN
213 Weather Channel Interactive (ViP) / Local Now (Hopper interface streaming app)
218 BINGE
220 MALL
221 SPREE (Hopper interface shopping app)
221 EXTRA
222 SHPLC
223 RENEW
224 EPIC
225 SALE
226 HSN2
227 JTV
228 YOUTV
229 GEMS
230 ICTV
244 SHPHQ
255 QVC2
257 SBN
258 TBNI
259 INSP (SD and HD)
261 EWTN
262 CTN
263 DYSTR
264 IMPCT
274 SHPLC
275 YOUTV
276 SMART
277 RENEW
278 DEAL
279 CGTNN
282 VALU
286 NASA
287 HSN (SD and HD)
288 EXTRA
316 LEARN (HBO Max info channel) (HD only)
349 Dish Studio (SD and HD)
480 Adult Guard Support (simulcasts video from Dish 101)
500 ONPPV

611-11 TVPI (Hopper interface) (Polish-language channel requires 118 satellite) (Also on channel 9893 for ViP)

800 RWBYD (SD and HD) (Republic Wireless By Dish info channel)
823 BABY1

Vix TV (Spanish-language) streaming channels
Require internet-connected Hopper/Joey/Wally​
870-01 LIMAX​
870-10 CCLUB​
870-11 CINER​
870-12 CINOR​
870-13 MOOVI​
870-25 NC247​
870-26 AQUIA​
870-27 CRONI​
870-28 N+MED​
870-30 NVROM​
870-31 NVORO​
870-32 NVFAM​
870-33 VILNO​
870-34 TRIUN​
870-35 GALAN​
870-36 RCTV​
870-37 AMIGA​
870-38 LAS3M​
870-39 GRAND​
870-40 MCHTA​
870-41 MCHTU​
870-47 ANGEL​
870-55 REBEL​
870-65 ROSAG​
870-66 COMOD​
870-67 LAPRO​
870-68 40Y20​
870-69 SELEC​
870-76 LUCHE​
870-77 VECIN​
870-78 JAJA​
870-79 RISAS​
870-85 COCTV​
870-90 ALEBR​
880 HITN
881 V-ME
882 SHPLC
883 VALU
884 CGTNE
4385 TBNI
9393 3ABN
9403 BYUTV
9410 LINK
9411 ENLC
9415 FSTV

Here is the older listing, for comparison purposes:

Reactions: charlesrshell
Vix TV (Spanish-language) streaming channels
Require internet-connected Hopper/Joey/Wally
Dish has been adding more of these channels every week for the last several weeks. Here are this week's changes / additions:

LIMAX has moved from 870-01 to 870-02

870-42 RITMO
870-43 PONOC
870-44 C406
870-45 AMORE
870-46 CUCEA
870-48 GABSO
870-81 HERON

134 SHPHQ
244 SHPHQ
Channels 134 and 244 have been replaced by Info slates about Dish's dispute with ShopHQ. These info slate channels remain available with a Locals Only subscription, so it is likely that ShopHQ will still be included in Locals Only if they ever reach a new carriage deal with Dish.

Let's see how many Vix TV channels get added this week. Maybe we'll get some Spanish-language shopping channels as replacements instead. :biggrin

I would always go through my guide when I had DISH and block all of the shopping channels and extra information channels that DISH had and a lot of the Spanish Speaking channels since I don't speak Spanish. I also blocked all the pay per view channels since I didn't want to pay extra when the bill came around. It made for a cleaner guide and less scrolling to get by the clutter.

I would always go through my guide when I had DISH and block all of the shopping channels and extra information channels that DISH had and a lot of the Spanish Speaking channels since I don't speak Spanish. I also blocked all the pay per view channels since I didn't want to pay extra when the bill came around. It made for a cleaner guide and less scrolling to get by the clutter.
True, but most of the channels in my "cheap" package are clutter. So, I don't mind keeping them there. We don't have uplink reports anymore, so a casual observer may be unaware of these changes that are occurring to the Dish lineup. I am happy to go through my guide and report whatever I can here. I'll take one for the team, at least until the uplink reports start working again, if they ever do.

...and are now $25 :eeek
A monthly bill of $25 per month to get your major locals in HD isn't too bad these days. I didn't realize that DISH even offered a locals-only package.

If you wanted to get the basic locals-only package from Comcast as a standalone TV service (no other Comcast services like broadband), with the major broadcast networks in HD, you're looking at over $50 per month, including a box with on-screen channel guide for one TV. Although that will also get you most or all of the SD diginets broadcast in your local area (e.g. MeTV, Cozi, Court TV, Grit, etc.). Don't get those in DISH's locals-only package. Comcast's basic service also includes some associated on-demand network content, I think, and maybe some audio-only music channels. Still, though, it's a crazy rip-off. They have zero interest in offering standalone TV service any more.

A monthly bill of $25 per month to get your major locals in HD isn't too bad these days. I didn't realize that DISH even offered a locals-only package.

If you wanted to get the basic locals-only package from Comcast as a standalone TV service (no other Comcast services like broadband), with the major broadcast networks in HD, you're looking at over $50 per month, including a box with on-screen channel guide for one TV. ...
Yes, my package is about half the price a new customer would pay for Welcome Pack, which is why I keep Locals Only. My sister had Welcome Pack, but she signed up too late to get grandfathered with no receiver fee for the first receiver. Even with a purchased Wally, that fee was $5 per month after Dish changed their fee structure for purchased equipment. (Before that change, it was $7 per month.) If she had kept her Dish service after the latest price increase went into effect, her total bill with the receiver fee, Welcome Pack, and all taxes and surcharges would have been over $50 per month.

...Although that will also get you most or all of the SD diginets broadcast in your local area (e.g. MeTV, Cozi, Court TV, Grit, etc.). Don't get those in DISH's locals-only package. ...
Yes, and unfortunately most or all of the newly-added diginets don't get added to Welcome Pack, either. It is nice that Dish carries those channels, but if they are trying to compete with a lifeline cable service, then they are doing a poor job as far as the channel selection. With all of the effort that Dish is putting into adding free streaming channels for Spanish speakers, you would think that they would also add some more for those of us who speak English.

...Comcast's basic service also includes some associated on-demand network content, I think, ...
Yes, I also get Dish's On Demand network programming.

...and maybe some audio-only music channels. ...
We used to get a bunch of those, as you can see from the list in the older thread I linked in post number 2. It was a shame to lose those. Oh well, it was a nice ride. The bad part is that we now don't even get any free preview of the audio channels that play holiday music. Have music licensing fees gone up so high that Dish cannot even afford to have any holiday spirit anymore?

So, can I drop the locals and get a reduction in this bill.

Attachments

• dishbill.png
    dishbill.png
    23 KB · Views: 154
So, can I drop the locals and get a reduction in this bill.
The last time someone successfully tried that, they had the non-grandfathered Welcome Pack price. The $12 for the locals was deducted, but the catch was that Dish added a $9 per month service fee for not having a qualifying base package. The resulting savings was therefore only $3 per month. It looks like you are already getting a $4 savings off the regularly $44.99 Welcome Pack by being grandfathered with the lower rate for existing customers. So, the answer is that it technically could be done, but you would have to give up your grandfathering, and it would still result in a $1 increase to your bill each month. It is probably better not to test that theory.

Dish has effectively phased out the value of having the Welcome Pack. The only reason now is to get locals if you have no other possibility of managing it.

Reactions: pattykay
Dish has effectively phased out the value of having the Welcome Pack. The only reason now is to get locals if you have no other possibility of managing it.
Yes, which is why I am so glad that I was able to get Locals Only at only half the price of Welcome Pack.

Also, a slight correction to my earlier response to this quote from NashGuy:
...Although that will also get you most or all of the SD diginets broadcast in your local area (e.g. MeTV, Cozi, Court TV, Grit, etc.). Don't get those in DISH's locals-only package. ...
I am fortunate that I actually do get Court TV in my Locals Only package, since it airs on one of the main channels in the Cleveland market (WDLI) that elected must-carry. So, Dish does carry a standard-def feed of Court TV here, but other markets are not so lucky.

Dish now offers a locals only package that's cheaper than the Welcome Pack?
They have offered it for awhile now. News of the package first leaked out here around the end of 2020, when Dish decided to raise the price from $12 to $15 per month for those who get Locals without a base package. (The package had quietly been made available before that, as a "lifeline" relief effort during the height of the pandemic. Locals as an add-on to any other base package remained, and still remain to this day, $12.) In November 2021, Dish jacked up the price again to $25, this time without announcing the increase on their price chart the way they had done the previous year.

Reactions: charlesrshell
They have offered it for awhile now. News of the package first leaked out here around the end of 2020, when Dish decided to raise the price from $12 to $15 per month for those who get Locals without a base package. (The package had quietly been made available before that, as a "lifeline" relief effort during the height of the pandemic. Locals as an add-on to any other base package remained, and still remain to this day, $12.) In November 2021, Dish jacked up the price again to $25, this time without announcing the increase on their price chart the way they had done the previous year.
So I can get just locals for $25 a month? I'm paying $48 per month for the Welcome Pack right now I had to get transferred to a US customer service rep to get that because the ones based in Costa Rica or Mexico kept telling me Welcome Pack wasn't available anymore.

• Sad
Reactions: TheKrell
So I can get just locals for $25 a month? I'm paying $48 per month for the Welcome Pack right now I had to get transferred to a US customer service rep to get that because the ones based in Costa Rica or Mexico kept telling me Welcome Pack wasn't available anymore.
There may be restrictions on availability of Locals Only. For instance, Dish may only offer this option in markets where they are legally required to do so. It is also possible that Dish may require you to own all of the equipment on your account, like they do for my pay-as-you-go account. People have had mixed results trying to get Locals Only. Some people had success when word of this package first leaked out. Others more recently have said it is a no-go.

All I can say is that it does not hurt to call Dish and ask. Don't be afraid to speak to more than one CSR if necessary, if you don't get the answer you want the first time. For a US agent (without needing to be transferred) call the Loyalty Department directly at 1-888-496-1260. That is what I did, and it worked for me. Good luck!