Charlie Chat Caps & Bytes

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
This is my first post due to the fact I normally just "lurk" - I seem to learn more by keeping my "mouth" shut.

Regarding the "Chat" last night. I have been in business for over 30 years and am well aware of how your customers needs and demands change. One thing that has remained constant is the knowledge of your products or services - your customers expect an answer when a question is asked. We all have our stories to tell regarding the CSR's, but someone in a higher level or more especially in an Executive position should never expose themselves to the public with no more knowledge than was displayed on this program.

The general customer base may not watch this program and the Company is probably in a less vulnerable position if they don't watch. I watched last night for the first time and was absolutely shocked by how unprepared and unprofessional they seemed. It is bound to be "different" knowing you are in front of a live camera, but being nervous is not the same thing as being uninformed of your product/services.

That's my 2 cents worth...
:welcome

You hit the nail on the head. It wasn't just nerves, they gave out blatantly false info, showing they don't follow their own product. Off the top of my head:

-Jim claimed they had 122 HD channels, and then said unlike cable, they counted full time networks only. Except that number includes Dish HD VOD and a bunch of part time RSNs. Pot. Kettle. Black.
-Jim claimed they carried MSNBC HD. This channel does not even exist.
-Charlie seems shocked to discover they don't have web scheduling.
-They didn't know you couldn't record directly to an EHD

They dooo Have MSNBC-HD it is on channel SOON!

Also what about the question where you can record directly on your EHD when did that happen? I thought you could not do that. You had to record to ur unit then transfer.
You CANNOT record directly to your external hard drive....tried it many times! It just shows how much they know about there own equipment huh!?

You hit the nail on the head. It wasn't just nerves, they gave out blatantly false info, showing they don't follow their own product. Off the top of my head:

-Jim claimed they had 122 HD channels, and then said unlike cable, they counted full time networks only. Except that number includes Dish HD VOD and a bunch of part time RSNs. Pot. Kettle. Black.
-Jim claimed they carried MSNBC HD. This channel does not even exist.
-Charlie seems shocked to discover they don't have web scheduling.
-They didn't know you couldn't record directly to an EHD

Contrast that with Mark Cuban last night. He seemed to know virtually everything about his company. He was prepared, informed, relaxed and intelligent. He was able to rattle of the programming they're currently showing, what's coming up and what they are working on for the distant future.

Is there any chance that Mark would buy Dish? :)

I have learned, over many years, to take the Charlie Chats with a pound of salt. Charlie may mean well, but he's not a tech and not an eloquent speaker. The company and it's tech has grown much faster than his knowledge base and to have him and Jim hemming and hawing through a show anymore is just absurd...

I seriously doubt that the vast majority of Dish subs even know that there is a "Charlie Chat" much less care to watch it if they did know.

There is no way these guys are that stupid - Charlie Chat is a running joke on the Satellite Forum folks who watch, document, and screencap the whole chat and then spend a week ripping it apart in utter disbelief.

Those two are probably laughing right now at the ongoing discussions about their latest "performance".

I seriously doubt that the vast majority of Dish subs even know that there is a "Charlie Chat" much less care to watch it if they did know.

There is no way these guys are that stupid - Charlie Chat is a running joke on the Satellite Forum folks who watch, document, and screencap the whole chat and then spend a week ripping it apart in utter disbelief.

Those two are probably laughing right now at the ongoing discussions about their latest "performance".

They advertise the Charlie Chats. Most Dish subscribers may not watch them, but they do know they exist.

Disappointed there's still mention of ESPN-U HD, College Football has ended, and if I were a betting man, I'd guess they'll wait until April 8th when all college basketball is over as well.

I thought this would have been a slam dunk addition considering their support of the other ESPN HD networks.

I've been a Dish sub for over 10 yrs and because I am about to switch to HD I watched the CC last night for the first time. My review in a word: YIKES.:eek: It reminded me of a Friday Night High School football radio broadcast. I watched about 5 minutes and went back to MNF.

Charlie came across as VERY VERY unprofessional almost like he didnt rehearse which just translates into not caring.
Then they have the nerve to take a call and all she wants to say is how much she loves DISH no substance whatsoever.
Do you mean to tell me that they had NO CALLS on hold with vailid questions?
Top that off with all the MSNBC coverage!
Give me a break MSNBC has the lowest ratings of all the news channels!
IMHO the only intersting thing was Mark Cuban and his discussions of HDNET.
Was it just me or did almost every DISH staff member seem baffled everytime a simple question was asked?
Pathetic.

Coming next Charlie Chat.... Charlie announces price increases with new national HD. Those with grandfathered HD Absolute will see their bills double just to get the 5-10 new national channels. ;)

Exactly what I've been saying.

Did you guys hear the caller ask "How long until dish network stops down-rezzing the HD channels?" and Charlie said, "Our HD channels are already 1080p which is the best picture and sound there is... Bla-lie, bla-cheat, bla-hum-bug..."

So before this CC debacle I was on the verge of calling Dish to upgrade to HD and take advantage of the free 612 offer. Now, I'm not so sure.

On the brighter side, the Philips DVD recorder arrived today!

Regarding the issues of New National HD and New HD Local Markets, Charlie strongly implied that those would be coming once Ciel-2 was deployed, which would be February 1st the latest, but could be as early as the final days of December.

Also, Eric Sahl was on the Chat as VP of Programming (so don't believe unconfirmed rumors).

kstuart's comment exactly reflects the substance of what was said regarding forthcoming HD programming. For what it's worth, however, I wanted to add a few comments of my own as counter-point to a few of the negative comments.

--Regarding the "Charlie Ergen is dumb" comment: a quick check of the internet shows that Charlie has a BA degree from Univ. of TN, an MBA from Wake Forest, and 5 kids. Oh, and according to Forbes, $9.5 billion. I like the fact he's got 5 kids, he can support them.

--I think Charlie's co-host owns a piece of Dish. He's not a "talking head," but he doesn't have to be. He just has money.

--Charlie was proud of the fact all the college bowl games are going to be on Dish. I can understand that: last year, the goal I set for myself was to watch every single bowl game from December 20, 2007 through the BCS championship. Needless to say, my stamina ran out before all the games were over, but I probably watched some or all of about 12 games. This year my goal is to watch some or all of the games with SEC teams in them--8 games, I believe.

--The board with 10 channels listed didn't have ESPNU, but it did have Speed and CMT, two of the channels I watch. That's a start.

--Mark Cuban was a ball of fire as a guest. The gals were good but not great, and Ms. Bartiromo is sharp as a tack. When I watch her interview people on CNBC, I can tell when she thinks they're trying to blow smoke up her nose, and she generally doesn't let them get away with it. A fine guest.

--The response on direct recording to an EHD was odd. I thought what the tech guy on the sidelines who tried to answer the question correctly actually said was that yes, it was possible to record directly from the receiver to the EHD, but no, they hadn't yet activated that feature in the receiver software. That would explain Charlie's seemingly incorrect answer, and I'm not aware of any reason that capability should not exist.

Other than the lack of news about immediate new HD, I thought the Chat was pretty entertaining. As a critic, I'd have to give it a B+. I'm already looking forward to the 2d Monday in March 2009 for the next Chat.

Merry xmas,:):):)
Fitzie

Indy HD Locals

The latest chat said Indy HD locals in early 2009. Does anyone know what sat? New 129 or maybe 61.5. I'm a HD newbie with dish. They had to disconnect my LNB to 129 due to failing orbit and set a side dish at 61.5 to get HD. Now with the new 129, I'm wondering where Indy locals might reside?

chuck
Nashville, IN
VIP 722

The latest chat said Indy HD locals in early 2009. Does anyone know what sat? New 129 or maybe 61.5. I'm a HD newbie with dish. They had to disconnect my LNB to 129 due to failing orbit and set a side dish at 61.5 to get HD. Now with the new 129, I'm wondering where Indy locals might reside?

chuck
Nashville, IN
VIP 722

Most likely they will go on 77. Hopefully by then they will let you switch to an eastern arc dish so as to avoid getting a 3rd dish.

Indy HD

Most likely they will go on 77. Hopefully by then they will let you switch to an eastern arc dish so as to avoid getting a 3rd dish.

Eastern Arc could be a problem (line of sight issue) but whatever it takes I guess.

Thanks,
chuck

I too am perplexed by last nights chat. I've been a Dish customer more then 10 years, I also have Direct. I've watched most of the chats the past several years. The shocking thing is when each question was asked I as a customer knew the answer but could not believe how the to chief's of this company would twist and turn then spew out the wrong information that 90% of customers would know. How can you possibly run a company not knowing the very basics? Like others mentioned, they were clueless on all questions, and shockingly turn it to another minion who says you can record to an external drive. Not to mention the we have MSNBC HD.

It might be a laid back non serious show but if this doesn't give you insight as to how things are done at this company then nothing will. How can a CEO and a Executive Vice President not know the very basics of their business? I liken this to the CEO of staples not knowing if they sell copy paper.

Scary.

kstuart's comment exactly reflects the substance of what was said regarding forthcoming HD programming. For what it's worth, however, I wanted to add a few comments of my own as counter-point to a few of the negative comments.

--Regarding the "Charlie Ergen is dumb" comment: a quick check of the internet shows that Charlie has a BA degree from Univ. of TN, an MBA from Wake Forest, and 5 kids. Oh, and according to Forbes, $9.5 billion. I like the fact he's got 5 kids, he can support them.

--I think Charlie's co-host owns a piece of Dish. He's not a "talking head," but he doesn't have to be. He just has money.

--Charlie was proud of the fact all the college bowl games are going to be on Dish. I can understand that: last year, the goal I set for myself was to watch every single bowl game from December 20, 2007 through the BCS championship. Needless to say, my stamina ran out before all the games were over, but I probably watched some or all of about 12 games. This year my goal is to watch some or all of the games with SEC teams in them--8 games, I believe.

--The board with 10 channels listed didn't have ESPNU, but it did have Speed and CMT, two of the channels I watch. That's a start.

--Mark Cuban was a ball of fire as a guest. The gals were good but not great, and Ms. Bartiromo is sharp as a tack. When I watch her interview people on CNBC, I can tell when she thinks they're trying to blow smoke up her nose, and she generally doesn't let them get away with it. A fine guest.

--The response on direct recording to an EHD was odd. I thought what the tech guy on the sidelines who tried to answer the question correctly actually said was that yes, it was possible to record directly from the receiver to the EHD, but no, they hadn't yet activated that feature in the receiver software. That would explain Charlie's seemingly incorrect answer, and I'm not aware of any reason that capability should not exist.

Other than the lack of news about immediate new HD, I thought the Chat was pretty entertaining. As a critic, I'd have to give it a B+. I'm already looking forward to the 2d Monday in March 2009 for the next Chat.

Merry xmas,:):):)
Fitzie

Wow, can you send the rest of us the recipe for that Kool-Aid cocktail you were drinking, and tell us whatever shade of glasses you were wearing? ;)

We can try it for the next Charlie Chat.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)