Charlie Chat Recap 6/9/08

I think CNBC and CNBC hd Plus was listed on there too. Which means to me that they will use one for sd and one for hd.

Yes Bob things are getting better, but some areas very slowly. However, the population is not that much less than pre katrina, and the people who didn't come back were lower income people who didn't spend $100 a month for Dish. Actually where I live there are more Dish customers than they had pre katrina because it took so long for the cable company to get there service re-established that many people went with Dish and Direct becuase they didn't have to wait for all that cable to be restrung, yep just put a dish on the roof and you where back in business instead of waiting a year in some cases for Cox cable to get there service back to your area. Also as I said earlier "D" has New Orleans HD locals, and has had them for over a year, so Charlie can't use Katrina as an excuss to screw us

Correct me if I mis-uderstood.....MSNBC in HD was in reference to the NBC family of channels, including Oxygen, that will be used to show the summer olympics???? A N D.....The WFNHD will have it's first HD only show starting in AUGUST???????? Anybody understand this differently?

I'm still quite certain that MSNBC was accidentally included instead of CNBC...

I'm still quite certain that MSNBC was accidentally included instead of CNBC...

Well not quite since CNBC is also on that slide. But MSNBC being a mistake t may well be true. I was simply commenting on why people think it is being added---because the slide indicated that.

I suppose it si possible that we re actuaklly going to see the channel. But it does sem curious.

Yes Bob things are getting better, but some areas very slowly. However, the population is not that much less than pre katrina, and the people who didn't come back were lower income people who didn't spend $100 a month for Dish. Actually where I live there are more Dish customers than they had pre katrina because it took so long for the cable company to get there service re-established that many people went with Dish and Direct becuase they didn't have to wait for all that cable to be restrung, yep just put a dish on the roof and you where back in business instead of waiting a year in some cases for Cox cable to get there service back to your area. Also as I said earlier "D" has New Orleans HD locals, and has had them for over a year, so Charlie can't use Katrina as an excuss to screw us

thats true, plus if you looked at satellitte subs ratio to people, the new orleans area has to be in the top 20. All of st. bernard parish only had satellite for the first 18 months after katrina. there wasnt any cable available. cable is now back, but most people just stayed with satellite.
when i got dish in Nov 06, the csr said new orleans hd locals would be lit up by xmas 2006! I know there can be problems, holdups, etc, but we now arent even on the list for 2008!!:mad:

The conventional wisdom for us (fed to us by the media) not in the area was that half the population left these areas, which made me state what I did. Glad to hear that that the core functionality of the area has returned.

Good luck bending his ear. You folks could use all the good news you can get your hands on....

Up here in NJ, I was pleasantly shocked to hear that WPIX HD is coming to us this week. We were one of the first to get HD locals, and I was wondering when they would upgrade the other channels (CW, PBS, etc.). One of the advantages of being in the largest US market.... Hopefully more will trickle down to the rest of you now that they've added it here...

I liked the team of Charlie and Eric, the show seemed to move a lot more smoothly and seemed more professional. With Jim and Charlie its more a folksy type chat that seems to have no rhyme or reason.

I personally would like to see Charlie and Eric in the future then Jim (no offense to Jim) but Eric just seemed to give the show more zip.

Only thing missing from the show that was needed was a visit from Leslie Harper.

Yes, Eric moved things along better, but more out of fear of saying the wrong thing on the air a few feet from Charlie. There was absolutely NO CHEMISTRY between the two of them. I rather like it when Charlie and Jim banter because that is usually when Charlie says something of real information that he probably wasn't supposed to say, and then Jim gets a little peeved at Charlie for letting the cat out of the bag, like the one time Charlie said they screen calls at the Chat, and Jim said emphatically, "No, we don't screen the calls!" Eric was a scared little bunny rabbit terrorfied of saying the wrong thing (like he should have mentioned the 3 satellites set to launch to help with HD capicity, but Ergen was allowed only a quick sentence about it) fearing for his job dare he incur the wrath of the ever mercurial Ergan (shouting to occur off-air, of course).

I'm sorry, but I do prefer the unintended and intended entertainment of Chuck and Jim who really do say some funny things about each other, and I love it when Jim tries to, awkwardly, interview the celebs who drop by (funny). Jim does a better job of directing Ergan to provide more information regarding questions, as well as Jim himself providing more information. Of course, the highlight is when Jim and Charlie go at each other on the air over a point at which they disagree (hilarious). Jim and Charlie are equals/peers, and so the lips a more loose allowing tid-bits of REAL information to come out. With all the worts, I do believe the Charlie and Jim show is better, overall.

Finally, don't you just love the Tech Forum when Dan (and in the past, Dave) has said something either in error or said something that was supposed to be secret or said something the wrong way and Mark's (or is is Marc) eyes widen and turn to flames and his jaw tightens and he blinks a mean blink of the eyes he just glares at the poor co-host for pissing him off. The most recent example was poor Dan's remarks about the forthcoming increase to 49.99 for the external HDD activation and Mark had to correct him. By the way, Mark always introduced Dave Kummer as, "my good friend, Dave Kummer." Mark has never introduced Dan as his "friend.":) Dan is somewhat nervous sitting next to the number 3 mercurial exec--you can see it so clearly when he has blown a gasket, Mark Jackson.

I'm sorry but I love those moments. They are entertaining and more informative than this last Charlie Chat. I was LOL writing this entire post.

Last edited:
Is Jim gone for good? I liked him better than Eric. Eric is more polished, but Jim really cracked me up. The show is even more boring without Jim.

No. Jim will return. IT was announced that one of Jim's parents is ill, and Jim had to tend to that.

Any idea what will happen to the bandwidth freed up by the change from MPEG2 to MPEG4? Will those channels affected stay on 110 or will they only be available on 61.5 & 129?

I thought this was the greatest Charlie Chat ever!!! This has nothing to do with the fact that I won the fishing package.
On second thought, that is exactly the reason why.
:)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts