Charlie Chat Recap 9/10/7

Charlie Ergen publicly announced at the CES show last May that DISH would relaunch its entire service( all locals/sd/hd/national hd ,sd channels and internationals all on one 18" sat dish) in mpeg 4 by early next year. That was supposed to happen with the launch of two new sats in December. That has been delayed due to problems at the launch sites. Now they say that the new sats will launch early next year so that means probably by spring or late summer for a relaunch of DISH in mpeg4.
CES was in January, and that's a public show. Charlie made his remarks at Team Summit in Dallas, and that's a private gathering of Dish employees and invited guests.

wase4711; said:
what CEO actually knows EVERYTHING about everything going on at his company???????

CEO's should know everything about everything even if it's an occupational liability come trial time. (Don't misread, not saying Charlie going to trial - just a general observation.) :)

Without going back to refresh my memory, I think Charlie used the magic "100" number. As in, "Dish will have over 100 national channels in the near future, maybe we'll have to wait until we get our 2 new satellites up in 2008..."

Regarding the "all in MPeg 4" discussion, after stating all HD was in MPeg 4 Charlie asked one of his staff if that conversion had been completed yet. The staffer's response was not shown--must have been a nod or shrug, Charlie didn't change his comment.

Charlie was also pretty clear they are not going to all MPeg 4 at this time, and I think the reason is obvious: too many receivers to replace at one time. Dish must have about 10 million subscribers who don't do HD yet.

Charlie had a peculiar comment about MPeg 2 also: "sometimes [or perhaps he said 'in some circumstances'] it's better than MPeg 4..." which even if true (which I doubt) was an unnecessary comment since Dish is going to all MPeg 4 with their HD.

Considering that he's the CEO and not the Technical Director, I think Charlie does a heck of a job keeping track of technical details.

Regards,
Fitzie

Charlie also said that they would be able to provide upto 200 national hd channels and upto 100 dma hd locals, all existing sd locals and all international channels , all on one 18" sat dish leading into your house by one coax. From what I could gather from the audio recording I listened to on this website, DISH would maintain both the mpeg 2 service on 110/119 and the newer mpeg 4 service on yet to be announced sat locations . All new customers would be installed with the mpeg 4 service and over time they could then upgrade older mpeg 2 customers to the mpeg 4 service. But there was no rush to do this. We hypothised if you wanted the new mpeg 4 better picture quality, you could just upgrade to the new sat dish with another commitment to DISH or buy your own dish and repoint to the new sats.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)