Charlie Chat Recap 9/10/7

So.... in other words, I really wish I had Altitude HD to watch the Avalanche... I saw a year or so ago it was in Engineering mode.... err... let's see if DISH being Colorado based brings this one on board before the season starts like they did FSN-RM HD the day of the Rockies opener.

Let's hope! If not I may have to 'move' again and buy the Center Ice package.

What was Charlie talking about near the end of the program when he said ALL hd is now MPEG4? Have I missed something?

Yeah, that one had me scratching my head, too. Also, I think he said that they've completed transitioning all the mpeg 2 HD subs to mpeg 4 HD boxes, but that doesn't seem right to me, either. I'm sure there are some subs here who still have 811s and 942s, not to mention 721s.

And another thing: Charlie said that they won't be moving SD programming to mpeg 4, just HD. But didn't he say at CES that Dish will be a complete mpeg 4 service by the end of the year? What's up with that?

Yeah, that one had me scratching my head, too. Also, I think he said that they've completed transitioning all the mpeg 2 HD subs to mpeg 4 HD boxes, but that doesn't seem right to me, either. I'm sure there are some subs here who still have 811s and 942s, not to mention 721s.

And another thing: Charlie said that they won't be moving SD programming to mpeg 4, just HD. But didn't he say at CES that Dish will be a complete mpeg 4 service by the end of the year? What's up with that?
'

No; he talked about launching a separate MPEG-4 only service.

That isn't going to meet targeted schedule as the Sea Launch platform had an issue which set back Dish's schedule by a number of months.

Best,

What was Charlie talking about near the end of the program when he said ALL hd is now MPEG4? Have I missed something?
This is another example of Charlie being out of the loop. Yes, Dish has long-term plans to move entirely to MPEG4. They have more immediate plans to make all HD programming MPEG4-only but that's simply not done yet. He was wrong or at least getting ahead of things.

This is another example of Charlie being out of the loop. Yes, Dish has long-term plans to move entirely to MPEG4. They have more immediate plans to make all HD programming MPEG4-only but that's simply not done yet. He was wrong or at least getting ahead of things.
Example of hand not knowing what foot is doing ...

Example of hand not knowing what foot is doing ...
I don't hold these slip-ups against the guy either though. He's the CEO of a multi-billion (??) dollar company and simply can't keep up with everything. He probably got a Powerpoint presentation 6-12 months ago or more that said "tentatively" plan to do so and so. Hey, he may have remember the original planned date but someone forgot to tell him things fell behind schedule. They have no idea what callers are going to ask so they can't get him up to speed on everything either. The smart thing to do would be to screen the calls or just take the questions down and say "Joe from Pittsburgh was wanting to know when all of the HD channels will be in MPEG4-only" and have the right answer ready.

hall; said:
I don't hold these slip-ups against the guy either though. He's the CEO of a multi-billion (??) dollar company and simply can't keep up with everything. He probably got a Powerpoint presentation 6-12 months ago or more that said "tentatively" plan to do so and so. Hey, he may have remember the original planned date but someone forgot to tell him things fell behind schedule. They have no idea what callers are going to ask so they can't get him up to speed on everything either. The smart thing to do would be to screen the calls or just take the questions down and say "Joe from Pittsburgh was wanting to know when all of the HD channels will be in MPEG4-only" and have the right answer ready.

I thought it was either a shrewd shot across everyone's bow to convert to MPEG4 yesterday....or he gave command to "make it so" a while ago and none of his "yes" men had the guts to tell him otherwise. :)

Charlie Ergen publicly announced at the CES show last May that DISH would relaunch its entire service( all locals/sd/hd/national hd ,sd channels and internationals all on one 18" sat dish) in mpeg 4 by early next year. That was supposed to happen with the launch of two new sats in December. That has been delayed due to problems at the launch sites. Now they say that the new sats will launch early next year so that means probably by spring or late summer for a relaunch of DISH in mpeg4.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts