Charlie speaks..... Finally!!!

What I want to know is what other 25 channels is DIrectv going to launch between now and January in hd ?

According to a post at DBSTalk, there's a D* insider that says tomorrow 20 more light up, anything from more national to PPV's to game only RSN's. Looking at the D* channel line up at http://www.directv.com/see/pdf/chnllineup.pdf ones that they list but not up yet are CMT, MTV, Nick/Nick at Nite and Spike.

IMO, E* began its decline when they began implementing bogus charges for everything just like the Cable companies do. They went away from their business model that made them a growing company. They also forgot about what made their customers happy, which was more and better TV for less. Now they're more like less and worst TV for more.

I can't argue you Randall! E* customer service has gone down hill big time. Couple that up with higher prices and less HD than the competition, spells I am outta here come next spring when my NHL CI Subscription Ends.

Basically that gives Charlie 6 months to right the ship and make the long term subscribers feel they are getting the best total value for their $$$'s.

I find it interesting that you hear next to nothing from E* while subscribers leave in droves, D* takes the HD programming lead, and reception from one of their satellites (129) continues to get worse but the moment the stock price falls $0.01 Charlie leaps out of his chair and starts vowing to turn things around.

I understand that he is in this business to make money but maybe if he had been listening to some of his critics for the past 12 months it wouldn't have come to this.

Personally, I could care less if E* adds anymore not so HD channels. If the new channels are like some that already exist, like History, TBS, A&E and TNT (to name a few) they can keep them until they stop distorting the picture and have sufficient HD content. I have more channels now that I can watch. I can wait.

For me personally, I don't care if a channel is 24/7 HD, I care that I can find on the various HD channels the programming I want to see. For example, FX is not HD 24/7, but they offer great HD programming like nip/tuck. With so many different HD channels, it is not too hard to find good programs on quite a few of them at any time. USA has great stuff, FX has great stuff, MGM has great stuff, Smithsionian has great stuff, History has great stuff, and they are adding to it constantly as I see it. There really is a very substantial total amount of HD stuff on the air right now.

It is FAR better to have the ability to tune it in - than to make up some story because you DON'T have the ability to tune it in.

Talk to the programmers about this gripe. Those guys are upconverting SD content and passing it off as HD. Doesn't matter which company delivers that to your home, it is still not true HD.

I didn't say it was E*'s fault, did I? That's why I said E* could wait to add similar-type channels with little or no hd content. Just because a provider adds a new channel and calls it HD doesn't mean that a programmer will provide hd content anytime soon. Once it's there, there is no real incentive to add hd content, especially when people don't have the option to drop a single channel that doesn't meet their expectation for hd. Why should they when the majority of hd viewers think they are watching hd now, when it's not. People screamed they wanted more hd channels. Well, they got what they wished for.

I find it interesting that you hear next to nothing from E* while subscribers leave in droves, D* takes the HD programming lead, and reception from one of their satellites (129) continues to get worse but the moment the stock price falls $0.01 Charlie leaps out of his chair and starts vowing to turn things around.

I understand that he is in this business to make money but maybe if he had been listening to some of his critics for the past 12 months it wouldn't have come to this.

Firstly, I don't think that subscribers are leaving in "droves", some maybe, but not the masses. Secondly, I am currently not experiencing any problems with programming on 129. It may be an old-dying bird, but it hasn't died yet. Who are his critics, people typing in these threads? :rolleyes:

For me personally, I don't care if a channel is 24/7 HD, I care that I can find on the various HD channels the programming I want to see. For example, FX is not HD 24/7, but they offer great HD programming like nip/tuck. With so many different HD channels, it is not too hard to find good programs on quite a few of them at any time. USA has great stuff, FX has great stuff, MGM has great stuff, Smithsionian has great stuff, History has great stuff, and they are adding to it constantly as I see it. There really is a very substantial total amount of HD stuff on the air right now.

It is FAR better to have the ability to tune it in - than to make up some story because you DON'T have the ability to tune it in.

There's a very simple solution. If you aren't happy with the provider you currently have, switch to another. End of story.

I didn't say it was E*'s fault, did I? That's why I said E* could wait to add similar-type channels with little or no hd content. Just because a provider adds a new channel and calls it HD doesn't mean that a programmer will provide hd content anytime soon. Once it's there, there is no real incentive to add hd content, especially when people don't have the option to drop a single channel that doesn't meet their expectation for hd. Why should they when the majority of hd viewers think they are watching hd now, when it's not. People screamed they wanted more hd channels. Well, they got what they wished for.

I don't think it has to do with them making a decision to wait to add more channels, I think its is a fact that they CAN'T add many or any new HD channels right now.

I am currently not experiencing any problems with programming on 129.

Oh, ok. I guess there's nothing wrong with 129 then. :p

Overall I know what you're saying richie, it's not a crisis for E* yet. My main point is that I've never seen Charlie, "perk up" to any issue before his stock price dropped.

Just an observation.

Based upon what I have read on these forums, others have said that E* could add several more HD channels right now if they wanted to; but only E* knows what they can or cannot do or will do at this point. I'm not gonna lose sleep over it.

They are going to focus on HD locals??? How crappy. They send up three birds and they are focusing on HD locals? Screw it... I guess I will drop them soon. I have cable and Dish and with the exception of NatGeo, Starz, and Voom channels, my cable provider (Bright House) is getting pretty near what Dish has now as far as the HD I watch. It is getting to be all the same. When I got Dish it had way more HD than BHN and a better DVR. Now it still has a better DVR, but not much more HD. There is no point in me paying for a second provider anymore. They want to focus on HD locals, fine, count me out. I don't get my locals through Dish anyway. I gave an OTA antenna on each of my main HD TVs and my cable subscription gives me all the HD locals too.

Are they just going to give up on being the national HD leader? Because if they are, I'll go elsewhere. I think Voom was before its time but I think it is now time for a new provider to come out with an HD only satellite lineup to feed the HD needs as a secondary provider for those that want and can afford it, with ALL the HD channels offered nationally. I'd keep cable, and ditch Dish, going with them at almost any price.

The next best thing is to shell out for DirecTV and ditch Dish. Looks like it is going to be a while before Dish catches up. Focusing on HD locals with their new sats. Please!!!

Direct only has about 5-6 National Channels in HD that Dish does not have.

You are flat out wrong. Counting premium channels Starz and HBO mutifeeds alone, DirecTV has over 5-6 National HD channels Dish does not offer. Then you get into the basic cable HD channels that I think you are referring to like Sci Fi, Fox Business Network, Smithsonian... etc.. it is well over 5-6.

Sorry, but you are just wrong. If all Dish is going to do is focus on HD locals with three new sats, see ya dish!

You are flat out wrong. Counting premium channels Starz and HBO mutifeeds alone, DirecTV has over 5-6 National HD channels Dish does not offer. Then you get into the basic cable HD channels that I think you are referring to like Sci Fi, Fox Business Network, Smithsonian... etc.. it is well over 5-6.

Sorry, but you are just wrong. If all Dish is going to do is focus on HD locals with three new sats, see ya dish!

Sci-Fi, USA, FX, MGM, Smithsonian, HBO-West, Starz-West, Starz Comedy, Starz Edge, The Movie Channel, Showtime Too, Showtime West, CNN and The Weather Channel, that's 14. You can kick it to 16 if you include FBN and CBNC, which while aren't really showing HD content they are sending out a 16:9 HD signal and using that extra screen space for more data then you get on the SD channels. Either way, D* has more then 5-6 national HD channels then E*.

I'm very suprised Wall Street reacted as fast as they did. I fully expected this dive after 4th quarter churn numbers came out. The fact that they reacted so quickly is forcing Charlie's hand. Let's see what ace he's got up his sleeve this time. He always seems to pull something out.

Sci-Fi, USA, FX, MGM, Smithsonian, HBO-West, Starz-West, Starz Comedy, Starz Edge, The Movie Channel, Showtime Too, Showtime West, CNN and The Weather Channel, that's 14. You can kick it to 16 if you include FBN and CBNC, which while aren't really showing HD content they are sending out a 16:9 HD signal and using that extra screen space for more data then you get on the SD channels. Either way, D* has more then 5-6 national HD channels then E*.

Thanks for taking the time to put together this list. I can't figure out where this guy came up with the 5-6 number. I think the first wave of new channels put DirecTV 5-6 beyond Dish. With each new wave they are blowing them away.

This announcement is really making me consider ditching Dish. I cannot be alone. I am glad I didn't sign a contract. When I recently inquired about adding a second 622 they were hell bent on me signing a contract, like never before. I think they are doing that now because they know they are not the HD leader and know they are going to lose subscribers. They aren't going to rope me in. I'll switch to DirecTV soon as my secondary provider now that I know I'll be waiting for a long time for new HD nationals. I really think their focus on adding HD locals next year is the wrong approach. I want national HD.

True, I am not the only one out there and my needs aren't at the center. But I for one don't really care about HD locals on Dish. I get them OTA and on cable. I subscribed to Dish secondary to get more HD than my cable company offered. Dish has been a real downer lately.

There are problems that have been causing E* customers to leave for alot longer than 6 months. It is true that many customers just switch back and forth between providers when their contracts end but I think this could be reduced, along with retaining longtime customers if just a few simple things were fixed. These are the problems I see with echostar that if fixed would greatly increase customer count and/or happiness. These are ranked in order of importance.

#1 - Train your CSRs to do something other than read a script. If they had the knowledge to solve a problem we wouldnt play CSR roulette would we. And can't a CSR inform the customer a dual tuner needs to be plugged in to the phone so the tech doesnt loose 30 minutes explainin this on the install????? If a cust calls in a simply feels they are being helped rather than feel they know more than the CSR it would help SOOOOOOO much!

#2 - Offer better deals to existing customers for HD upgrades ,etc. The current DIU deals have come a ways with this but you cant tell me a HD customer paying over $100 a month is not making alot of money for E*. Let them upgrade if they want without raking them. This customer is likely to stay rather than the new customer you just handed free equipment to.

#3 - Upgrade computer systems/scheduling system!! How hard is it to call to say a appointment is rescheduled? Many people are so pissed off before a tech ever installs the system they go to another provider.

#4 - Update Web Pricing/ Simplify price structure!!! The price packages need simplifying. Look how much better the info is presented even in this form under E* pricing. Get rid of the damn individual pricing for each fee, just build them in to the package like they did with DVR advantage. Then just add $10 or so on up each package.

It would help so much if they built in the phone fee. They wouldnt have to say anything about it and if the cust plugged it in they save $5. How many customers are going to complain about a $5 savings compared to the ever present "Im not paying the phone fee!"????

#5 Fix the 129 bird!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Ok, Ok, I realize this isnt 100% percent thier fault. With the bird dying and the launch failures I can see why this is a issue. But in many ways its E*'s own fault for not planning ahead. When they had more HD than D* they did NOTHING. D* played catch up and now will pass E* for some time because of a lack of planning.

I mean clearly customers want HD content and soon all most all content will be HD in a few years. The service is growing so why not grow your system? This is clearly where TV is headed. But no they put HD on the worst bird you can at 129. Too small, not powerful, limited bandwidth. Use old technology to power your new and high tech HD service? How ironic is this?

Also how much money and time has been lost with the 1000.2 design, 2 dish 500 /300 installs, and more dish 1000 repoints and service calls than one can count? All because of a lack of planning.

#6 - Dont load DNS tech up with 90 points a day. Treat techs with respect and they might stick around, rather than quit after 6 months. Doing so would give better installs, lower trouble calls, and form better customer relations, not to mention giving time to educate the customer.

Im sure there are more but these are the big problems I see right now and were the most complained about to me and other techs.

It is unfortunate that the 2 launch accidents this year BOTH impacted DISH more than any other provider it seems, and it couldn't have happened at a more inopportune time as I see it.

If they had been able to get even 1 of those sats up, they would be having no issues in getting many more new channels lit up. The other side of that is that it seems to have Charlie scrambling right now, unexpectedly I am sure.

DirecTV certainly made many promises that it knew if could keep ONLY when and IF they got their new sats up and running, Charlie did likewise. But when the hands were dealt out, D10 got launched, AMC-14 and E13 are on hold until ? (who knows?).

If D10 had not launched, and thus DirecTV still couldn't add HD content - I would bet the farm that the DISH contingent would be all over it - just as they were in the 'good old days'.

I tottally disagree - Mr. Ergen has been spewing BS for years, and now he is running out of options. Put up or shut up I say.

Don't let the door hit your backside on the way. Locals is where Direct is gaining on Dish. Glad you can afford multiple providers, multiple boxes and multiple remotes. Must be nice.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)