Chase Carey calls VoOm "crap"...

Status
Please reply by conversation.
OK, never said they had to be A class movies but a couple things that looking over a couple of Sean Mota's postings I find Dodgeball, Catwoman and Ocean's 12 being on Cinemax-HD before they made it to HBO.

charper1 said:
AND to be the devil's advocate you bust his chops for not adding channels based on his/their feelings, but you want them to add it based on your's / or the handfull of 700k HD subs. Remember their primary concern is running a company with 15+ million subs and pleasing the masses. Right now we HD lovers are not the masses. Right now the research shows people prefer or want their local network affiliates in HD, they want DBS to have a viable choice on that front, thus DirecTV is going that way 1st. BUT YES, I agree they should toss us a bone of 2 or 3 nation HDs, but these things are not as black and white (have or dont have) as you guys try to make it out.

As far as Im concern, I have the right to complain based on my feelings because I pay every month, and therefore its my right and those 700k HD subs! If we want it we should get it because we pay extra for it!

I didn't say we/you don't have the right to voice, but we don't rule the roost yet. I just think there is a difference in voicing and busting out on them which most guys here do.

charper1 said:
I didn't say we/you don't have the right to voice, but we don't rule the roost yet.
I'd be willing to bet that the 700K HD subs provide as much revenue as 5M Total Choice and Total Choice + subs do.

Even if HD subs hit 1M today, that still leaves 14M non-HD subs in the driver's seat. It will need to appraoch a 65 SD / 35 HD split to begin to make a difference. Maybe closer to 60/40.

Not every Nascar race is in HD on TNT HD either. So out of the entire schedule you may see some but not all. My whole point and I have to agree with some here is that it does not matter that some HD channels can't provide a perfect lineup every day 24/7. That is not the selling point. The fact is that each HD channel provides something unique that everyone of us would like. So if Mr. Carey's statement is pure coming out arrogance and annoys the hell out of me as a directv subscriber.

He should have just said look we are going for the locals HD channels and leave it at that. But to try to trash alll other channels and making seem like he is doing us a favor by not carrying them, it just FREAKING INSULTING. Like we are so clumsy or stupid to believe his CRAP that is coming out of his mouth. He is so full of it that thinks that his CD Usa CHANNEL is the best thing that ever came out in HD. Think again Mr. Clumsy you are dead wrong that freaking channel is the real crap that you are preaching. We consumers want choice and the more we have the better we'll decide what to watch and not to watch. We'll decide what is crap and what is not crap. I DO NOT LIKE people like this making stupid remarks before even thinking of what's coming out his mouth.

Yes, I forgot Cmax HD which with HBO happens to be one the best HD channels out there. Yes, they pick up some of the HBO movies but after a month and HBO does the same but there are some classic movies that they have.

I think Mr. Carey is like the disgrunted employee who feels that his feelings should be heard and not of the others --- hypocrite!

Smthkd said:
Funny, how he keep saying "we will wait until enough content is available"! If Im not mistaking there are at least 25 other available HD channels (this includes Voom). The more important things is not whether or not its crappy but the fact that you give your customers "what THEY want" not because you don't feel its worthy to be acceptable. Funny how they can talk bad about another companies programming when you fail to remember you have at least 30 PPV channels that are worthless, another 10 FreeView channels that are worthless, about 10 Home Shopping Networks that are worthless and a pretty pathetic HD line up! What a hypocrite! BTW, someone should shot that monkey that thinks CD USA 1 hour HD broadcast is revolutionary! I would pay more per month to the "THE BOX" than this piece of _____!

point 1 if you want the FAILED crap called voom, get dish nowork.
point 2 echojunk has the same number of ppv that you call worthless, that sir is YOUR opine,,,not all the subs.
point 3 chuckles empire has at least as many shopping /religious and gaming channels than does directv.
point 4 this is directv, be patient, they move slowly and methodically.
point 5 the masses DO want the locals in HD first, im a tech and hear it every day, this aint the 50s, they do not want antennas.

sorry for the rant, but the needs and wants of 14.300,000 subs outweigh the needs of 700,000 HD subs. this aint 2009 YET!!!

dragon002 said:
not even in the same universe.
Although the revenue from the NFL Sunday Ticket HD viewers DOES bring in some serious dollars in the overall scheme of things.
Sean Mota said:
Ditto... Would you rather have that crap or the Voom crap? :) Which one is he crapping on right now? :D
...with a crap crap here and a crap crap there, here a crap, there a crap, everywhere a crap crap.... LOL :D
charper1 said:
I didn't say we/you don't have the right to voice, but we don't rule the roost yet. I just think there is a difference in voicing and busting out on them which most guys here do.
Hopefully all these whiners put there money where their mouth is and leave D*TV right away, so that we legitimate customers - in other words - the non-whiners - can simply enjoy HD without the naysayers. As painful as it is for the "NO BOYS" to live with it - some of us actually enjoy what HD we have, can live with a few shortcomings for now, and look forward to things and not backwards. Life's too short to spend day in and day out spouting negative verbal diarrhea.

It's amazing how there are over 500 baby-wining posts in various threads here about everything from a $3 price increase to the failure to pinpoint the exact second when a particular HD channel will be available on DirecTV. They're mad too, because they want DirecTV to tell them exactly what they are going to do and when. Stir in the usual daily dose of insulters that disagree with virtually everyone except themselves (we all know who they are), and you have a perpetual pissing parade. That's not to say that disagreement is wrong, but most of the time, the same 5-10 verbal assassins attack anyone who might actually be happy about their HD service.

I, for one, came here to find out useful information, learn some new things, and enjoy everyone's positive suggestions or ideas. My guess is that this is the real purpose of this message board. Could things be better for HD, absolutely - but that's true for all HD providers. It's not worth wetting the bed. Change your sheets, and move on to some positive things about HD. :)

Do you guys ever think we are unreasonabe on the release of the national HD channels on D*?

From what I understand D* always said that they would add more national channels in '06, '07.

So maybe the ball is in out court. They told us up front what the deal is, if we dont like it maybe we should change providers.

Dont get me wrong I hate to wait..but sometimes I wonder if Im a whiney brat who wants to open his presents before Xmas.

Ofcourse there is always plan B. We get some pitchforks..a couple of axes..maybe a battering ram and go impose our will on them.

Satmeister said:
Although the revenue from the NFL Sunday Ticket HD viewers DOES bring in some serious dollars in the overall scheme of things.

...with a crap crap here and a crap crap there, here a crap, there a crap, everywhere a crap crap.... LOL :D

Hopefully all these whiners put there money where their mouth is and leave D*TV right away, so that we legitimate customers - in other words - the non-whiners - can simply enjoy HD without the naysayers. As painful as it is for the "NO BOYS" to live with it - some of us actually enjoy what HD we have, can live with a few shortcomings for now, and look forward to things and not backwards. Life's too short to spend day in and day out spouting negative verbal diarrhea.

It's amazing how there are over 500 baby-wining posts in various threads here about everything from a $3 price increase to the failure to pinpoint the exact second when a particular HD channel will be available on DirecTV. They're mad too, because they want DirecTV to tell them exactly what they are going to do and when. Stir in the usual daily dose of insulters that disagree with virtually everyone except themselves (we all know who they are), and you have a perpetual pissing parade. That's not to say that disagreement is wrong, but most of the time, the same 5-10 verbal assassins attack anyone who might actually be happy about their HD service.

I, for one, came here to find out useful information, learn some new things, and enjoy everyone's positive suggestions or ideas. My guess is that this is the real purpose of this message board. Could things be better for HD, absolutely - but that's true for all HD providers. It's not worth wetting the bed. Change your sheets, and move on to some positive things about HD. :)

VERY WELL SAID!

damaged said:
Can I buy some pot from you?

Exactly!

OK, follow this totally exagerated formula to prove this wrong: "I'd be willing to bet that the 700K HD subs provide as much revenue as 5M Total Choice and Total Choice + subs do."

HD Subs: 800k x $200/mo (OUCH! way high, but) $160,000,000 in revenue / mo

SD Subs: 5M (what happened to the remaining 9M) anyway...

5M x $42/mo (a bit low, but) $210,000,000 in revenue / mo

14M non-HD subs @ $20/mo (right!) $280,000,000 in revenue / mo

Get it yet? It is VERY SIMPLE math! Even at a non-acheivable $20/rate for non-HD subs and a very high $200/mo for HD subs, the masses STILL out earn.

directv claims an average of $68.00 per sub times 14.3 MILLION

take the HD subs at $110 per times 700,000

what crack are you smoking? you HD subs are a very minor blip, nothing more!

sd subs are 972 million per MONTH HD subs are 7.7 million per month.

per year? SD is 11.67 BILLION $, HD is 92 MILLION $

what would you do, follow your course? or follow the VoOm course?

I didn't have the exacts like you did, but you understood my exaggerated formula, came to the same point. The money trail!

Satmeister, dragon002, charper1, ...finally the voice of reason is heard!!:)
All the pissing and moaning and crying and bitching...I posted this because I knew it would get a rise out of some people, but overall I am very happy with my TV and my HD package from D* and willing to pay the $11 month for it. I mean...some of these people who bitch about paying for the HD package...You paid all that money for the HDTV...It just makes me think of someone buying a Ferrari and then being too cheap to pay for gas to put in it. I can imagine these people in 20 years...

"Anything that isn't in 5500p 360 degree holographic 3D and Dolby 99.1 with Smell-O-Rama and Taste-O-Riffic is unwatchable".;)

I guess as cliched as it sounds,.... the glass is half full for some people, and the glass is half empty for others.

By the way, my name refers to my drinking goal...16 by 9:00 :D I mean, 3 by 4:00 is a good start, but if ya really wanna party...:hungry:

Geez guys, let's beat up a little more on Herdfan because he exaggerated a bit. Sometimes you need to look past the semantics and exacting math to actually see the point he was making. The point, as I take it, is that the average HD customer is more valuable (pays more money to DirecTV) than the average non-HD customer. Especially the early adopters. I'd guess to say the average HD customer pays about double. (That's just a guess so let's not analyze it to death please.) And I would expect that the mix of HD to non-HD customers is growing everyday. Even though we are the minority today, that will eventually change. DirecTV needs to address this before it gets too late. I can understand that the HD-locals is necessary to compete with cable. But I think they need to throw us a bone (new HD-national channels) once in a while as well.

-JustBob

Sean Mota said:
Not every Nascar race is in HD on TNT HD either. So out of the entire schedule you may see some but not all. My whole point and I have to agree with some here is that it does not matter that some HD channels can't provide a perfect lineup every day 24/7. That is not the selling point. The fact is that each HD channel provides something unique that everyone of us would like. So if Mr. Carey's statement is pure coming out arrogance and annoys the hell out of me as a directv subscriber.

Yes they are. Starting with last year all the races on TNT-HD were in fact HD even the Busch races were.

sixteenbynine said:
Satmeister, dragon002, charper1, ...finally the voice of reason is heard!!:)
All the pissing and moaning and crying and bitching...I mean...some of these people who bitch about paying for the HD package...You paid all that money for the HDTV...It just makes me think of someone buying a Ferrari and then being too cheap to pay for gas to put in it. I can imagine these people in 20 years...

"Anything that isn't in 5500p 360 degree holographic 3D and Dolby 99.1 with Smell-O-Rama and Taste-O-Riffic is unwatchable".;)
LOL :hatsoff: :haha

Thanks for reinforcing our points. Somewhat shocked to see that 2 particular verbal assassins have not chimed in - but thats a good thing.

I love your Ferrari analogy - you can pretty much imagine most of those negative people dead in much less than 20 years from a heart attack caused by the stress of daily complaining. Ain't no HDTV in hell! :devil:

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts