Chase Carey calls VoOm "crap"...

Status
Please reply by conversation.
Satmeister said:
Poetry from the trailer park I suppose. The use of this language is soooooo convincing. :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

Nobody wants to convince you - facts are telling. Switch on your TV and check your HD lineup on DirecTV.
Then check your comments on it.
Finally check this slogan again. Interpret.

Am I right or am I right?

Another proof statement.

Exactly: it's hard to believe there are sane people praising DirecTV's retarded comments on real HD lineup.

Last edited:
T2k said:
....it's hard to believe there are sane people praising DirecTV's retarded comments on real HD lineup.

Isn't that Amazing? :D :D :D I can't find word to describe it. It is uncomprehensible. :eek: :eek: :eek:

sixteenbynine said:
I have a source who was there yesterday when Chase Carey, (President and CEO of D*) visited one of the call centers and gave a speech and took questions. I will post an in-depth recap of it tonight (hopefully, if I have time). I can't do it right now, but here's one preview--Chase was asked about new national HD channels--he said that TNTHD was a possibility, maybe this year, but other than that, he basically said that there isn't much HD content available. He said, and I quote, "I've seen that VoOm crap" and called it "looking at a pretty picture of nothing". He defended HD locals by saying that people want programs like CSI, Law & Order, Desperate Housewives, etc. in HD, so HD locals are the focus for now. Hopefully by the time the next 2 sats are up and are able to provide more national HD, there will be more content available.

Anyway, I've gotta go now...
Tonight, I can give you the full recap of his speech/QnA
sixteenbynine, thanks for the info. You mention in your post a "full recap" later...is this still coming? Setting aside all the bashing and arguing, I'd like to hear what else was said. Thanks. :)

T2k said:
Voom DBS closed because investors forced CV to close it, soon after it actually started.
Talk about propaganda...it was losing millions...I guess some folks bought that "forced to close" explanation... :rolleyes:
T2k said:
Nobody wants to convince you - facts are telling. Switch on your TV and check your HD lineup on DirecTV.
Good idea - did that - lots of great HD to see. Thanks for your suggestion. :cool:
T2k said:
Exactly: it's hard to believe there are sane people praising DirecTV's retarded comments on real HD lineup.
Put down the remote... and just walk away.... :D

Keenan, thanks...yeah, it's coming. Sorry I didn't have time to do it yet. I was wondering if anybody was even interested with all the negative bitching and whining you get around here. Hey Satmeister! I think I'm beginning to like you more and more...It is so refreshing to hear (read) somebody actually take a reasonable stance on this.

As I said before...

I can see these guys in the future: "HD" is now defined as 8,000,000 gigapixels progressive, and those @$$holes have down-rezzed it to 4,000,000 gigapixels, or 8,000,000 gigapixels interlaced, what a ripoff! I'm gonna call the FTC and the FCC! (Even though my eyes can't see the difference.)

I would love to challenge some of these crybabies to an eye exam. I bet they can't even SEE the $h!t they're crying about!

sixteenbynine said:
Keenan, thanks...yeah, it's coming. Sorry I didn't have time to do it yet. I was wondering if anybody was even interested with all the negative bitching and whining you get around here.
Cool, when it's convenient of course....I'm more interested in what you've got than all the bitching going on, I can find that stuff almost anywhere on the net..:D

I will really try to get it posted tonight. I just want to really take the time to do it right, cuz I want to include as much as I can. I know most of it is stuff that was already out there on the internet anyway, but just in case anyone is not too jaded or cynical:rolleyes: and might be interested I will post it...

sixteenbynine said:
I can see these guys in the future: "HD" is now defined as 8,000,000 gigapixels progressive, and those @$$holes have down-rezzed it to 4,000,000 gigapixels, or 8,000,000 gigapixels interlaced, what a ripoff! I'm gonna call the FTC and the FCC! (Even though my eyes can't see the difference.)

I would love to challenge some of these crybabies to an eye exam. I bet they can't even SEE the $h!t they're crying about!

Well, if you cannot see the difference or do not want to acknowledge that there is a difference (for whatever reason you may have) those are two different things.

Steve Martin who is a professional certified calibrator would be one among lots of people that would disagree with your statement. Not only has Steve documented the downresolution of the Horizontal resolution on the 1080i channels but has taken pictures to give us examples of the effects of downgrading the horizontal resolution on the 1080i channels and also the greater effect of doing the same with low birates found on HDnet Movies & Showtime. Take a look a these links and try to explain where the data comes from

Picture Samples
http://www.widemovies.com/directvcomp.html

DirecTv Bitrate Monitor
http://www.widemovies.com/dfwbitrate.html

If you still do not see it after reading and looking at those examples and better yet comparing to a better source, we have definetly hit a brick wall and there's not much that can't be done. I guess living in denial is better than to face the truth of the situation.

Sean,

Yeah of course I can see the difference. I was exaggerating (slightly) before, but my real point is just that, Jesus Christ, OK, it's not perfect but it looks DAMN GOOD. And it will get better, it will just take a while. I don't know what kind of TV you have but as I've said before, I have the Sony 50" SXRD and even SD and DVD's look great most of the time. Sometimes there are SD channels on D* that are really compressed and look crappy, but usually premium channels and stuff looks awesome. I'm not saying you can't tell the difference, just that this "chicken-little-the-sky-is-falling" mentality is a little paranoid. It still looks GREAT, and it WILL get better.

Sean Mota said:
If you still do not see it after reading and looking at those examples and better yet comparing to a better source, we have definetly hit a brick wall and there's not much that can't be done. I guess living in denial is better than to face the truth of the situation.
We see...we see...That's interesting information --- from September 2005 --- unfortunately, its 5 months old data, and there have been tons of channel, transponder migration, and other changes since then - all of which can impact those kinds of results. In addition, its specific to one particular market - Dallas.

I know that in my area, my HD viewing is not only excellent, its tops among at least 2 dozen of us who repeatedly visit each other's homes and view each other's HD programming. It includes a mix of large DLP and Plasma TVs, as well as DLP and CRT projectors. That's not MY opinion, that's a unanimous opinion of the other people, who have told ME that.

That said, no one is questioning that DirecTV has been playing musical chairs with the HD channels and that HD has been periodically impacted. The issue is what is seen at a particular location - and based on thousands of positive HD image testimonies on various message boards - there should be room to respectifully agree to disagree. :cool:

Satmeister,

Once again, you are the voice of reason! I understand that things aren't perfect, but all this crying and analyzing the bitrate, etc... just watch the F***ing TV and enjoy it, for crying out loud! If it causes you so much pain, maybe you should go outside and play or something...just MHO.

Sean Mota said:
Ditto... Would you rather have that crap or the Voom crap? :) Which one is he crapping on right now? :D

The difference is CD USA is part of your subscription, and with VOOM E* charges you, to watch the same content over and over.

Last edited:
I have many so called "HD" movies from HBO HD via D* on one dual layer DVD as single mpeg2 file with absolutely no manipulation to the files on my part. When an HD movie comes from D* at less than 8.5 GB with audio included it should tell you that there is something VERY WRONG.

Satmeister said:
We see...we see...That's interesting information --- from September 2005 --- unfortunately, its 5 months old data, and there have been tons of channel, transponder migration, and other changes since then - all of which can impact those kinds of results. In addition, its specific to one particular market - Dallas.

There has been very little change since then. This is not the first time that I have posted Steve's numbers yet it is the first time that someone questions the data because is old. Well, I'd bet you that it will not change.

Regarding your Dallas specific comment. It seems that you do not understand how satellite signal work. It does not matter whether you are in Dallas or NY or Miami or anywhere in the USA. Bitrates and resolution do not depend on location. Everyone gets the same resolution, transponders, and bitrates that the source is sending. Nothing to do with location. Please get some facts before posting stuff like this. Does not make you look good.

Satmeister said:
I know that in my area, my HD viewing is not only excellent, its tops among at least 2 dozen of us who repeatedly visit each other's homes and view each other's HD programming. It includes a mix of large DLP and Plasma TVs, as well as DLP and CRT projectors. That's not MY opinion, that's a unanimous opinion of the other people, who have told ME that.

That said, no one is questioning that DirecTV has been playing musical chairs with the HD channels and that HD has been periodically impacted. The issue is what is seen at a particular location - and based on thousands of positive HD image testimonies on various message boards - there should be room to respectifully agree to disagree. :cool:

There's no denying either that the opposite is true when there are people who without ranting give you the number in mathematical data plus observations in what is happening. But yet these facts which are not based on judgment calls are very quickly disregarded without questioning that DirecTv is doing a diservices to any HD transmitted by them.

lou_do said:
The difference is CD USA is part of your subscription, and with VOOM E* charges you, to watch the same content over and over.

I disagree with you and get your facts straight again. Yes since the VOOM DBS fall down the content went down hill but since January it has started to pick up again.

If you want to talk about paying for content on repeats all over, you need to look at UHD. Since July 2005 UHD went from providing new content to zero until recently in January 2006. You and I are were still paying for Universal HD, yet no one complaint about the lack of content on UHD and repeats.

Regarding CD USA one hour per week content. If you are trying to defend that one versus what VOOM provides for $5/mth, it is quite laughable to say the least. No competition. ;)

Sean Mota said:
I disagree with you and get your facts straight again. Yes since the VOOM DBS fall down the content went down hill but since January it has started to pick up again.
I hear and read complaints from people all the time that the VOOM content is like a big loop. Yes, maybe they are attempting to correct that, but my statement was made for many people's complaints about VOOM.

I agree with you on Universal, also. Same programing over and over.

Regarding CD USA one hour per week content. If you are trying to defend that one versus what VOOM provides for $5/mth, it is quite laughable to say the least. No competition. ;)
I am not defending anything, I don't even care for CD USA, my comment was they are both looping content programing.

Sean Mota said:
Regarding your Dallas specific comment. It seems that you do not understand how satellite signal work. It does not matter whether you are in Dallas or NY or Miami or anywhere in the USA. Bitrates and resolution do not depend on location. Everyone gets the same resolution, transponders, and bitrates that the source is sending. Nothing to do with location. Please get some facts before posting stuff like this. Does not make you look good.
Weather, moisture, altitude, localized equipment, and other factors can contribute to variations in bitrate readings. Those are ALL specific to location - the PRECISE PHYSICAL location of where readings are taken. There can also be up to a 3% variance in measurement equipment when not calibrated after each sampling. Any IEEE engineer can confirm this for you, sir. Your apparent "denial" of these FACTS does not make YOU look very good, yet you posted them. Touche.

The idea was not to get into a pissing contest, rather, we can have a technical discussion or a business discusion on this topic - some seem to want to selectively muddy the water and mix the two together when convenient and/or to confuse people. I prefer not to get too technical, as I am a certified IEEE engineer, and know how our "techy" talk really turns people off. It also happens to be one of the biggest complaints people have about HDTV in general - its too "techy" for them and appears complicated.

It's beyond disappointing to here the back and forth bantoring about how one group is foolish because they enjoy something. Based on a number of other posts here, I am not alone in the disgust.

Is HD perfect - heck no. We're on our 5th generation of HD equipment, and will probably see many more. I can also assure you that the delivery of an HD broadcast signal is NOT a science (yet), despite HD's overall age in existance (digital TV to be more precise). What's very disappointing is the same old handfull of character assassins with hundreds of posts attacking and attacking like pitbulls in heat.

I came here to learn, share, and to observe new information. I don't think anyone is a lessor human because of the choices they make on HDTV. Apparently, some posters here can't live with that same moral standard. So I'll just watch this continuing comedy for a while, I guess, and see the bullies take this board over like they have at other sites. Good luck and good night. :river

Exciting Time

We currently do not have HDTV source other than cable or satellite. This is going to change, when blue-ray (or HD-DVD) DVDs are released in the spring/summer. I am sure that many will possibly complain about 1080i with cable/satellite after HD DVD release. Clearly we are in a transition period to HDTV. The most important event will be the emerging of PC for home entertainments. We are in an exciting period of time. Be patient!

This is like a big sword fight. But ladies ladies ladies its pretty simple...A lot of us chose our Satellite provider, and for that matter lets include Cable and VIOS, so let me rephrase and state a lot us chose our signal provider based on numberous factors. ONE happens to be HD content. I actually dismissed Dish. (not a shot at you VOOMERS) I am a Sports fan. I loved Sunday Ticket, but I also love the Red Sox, Bruins and Celtics (dont ask why on the Bruins and Celts). The choice for me came down to NFL sunday ticket and better overall signal or watching the B's C's and Sox in HD. I chose the Ticket and therefore have D*.

Now do I wish they didnt compress their signal yes. Do I wish they would roll out national HD channels quicker yes. So its simple for me...wait a year and stick with leader in TV. For years D* has been a leader in customer service and picture quality and while right now I am disappointed in both areas I will stick with em or as some of you like to call it I will take it in the ASS.

D* has told us theyre plan. They launched two sats and two more to go. And as far as I have seen so far they havent changed their plan. Theyve stated all along that the plan is to get the top whatever markets local HD, and then follow it up with national channels in 2007.

IF in 07 things dont change then maybe I will make a move perhaps to FIOS by then and yes its being installed in locations around me its only a matter of time till its here.

As for VOOM to each his own. I think its pathetic that the VOOMERS are so upset about what some guy at Directv says about theyre product. Maybe he shoulda stood up and said VOOM rocks I wish my company had VOOM.

As for me personally I dont know much about VOOM but if they got stuff on bugs I like that My wife hates the fact that I like those NGC programs..(hornets from hell next WED..wicked cool) so I guess I like the bug stuff. So not only do I take it in the caboose but I like bugs...Im soo pathetic.

So its simple VOOMERs take it easy and realize the source of the comments. Hes making fun of his rival product. Its not a reflection on you guys. There is no reason to verbally abuse people just because they subscribe to D*. And for the disgruntled D* people..either work to change the product so it suits you, or start looking elsewhere.

Group hug anyone?

By the way if this is a swordfight I have a tremendous sword.

Last edited:
Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts