Chase Carey QnA Recap

Status
Please reply by conversation.

sixteenbynine

Well-Known SatelliteGuys Member
Original poster
Jan 21, 2006
In the desert of the real
So here is the recap of Chase Carey’s (president and CEO of D*) speech and QnA with the staff of one of the call centers.

Sure, most of this has already been posted online, but just in case anyone is interested:

New products:

1. HR20 MPEG4 DVR, out by summer, maybe sooner.
2. HR20 Pro system---a rack mount unit with a small video screen on the front. For distribution to several rooms. (You can see what’s on with the small screen if you’re not in the room with the TV.)
3. HD Media Center by the end of 2006. Still looking into different options for how to distribute to the clients (wireless, through the home’s electrical system, wired).
4. Portable players--demonstrated one. There was another one called a Kangaroo that could be rented at football stadiums. The signal would be distributed by a wireless network, and you could watch other NFLST games while you are at the game.
5. A Kitchen receiver that can be mounted either under a cabinet or on a countertop. The screen can either fold down, or up, but either way the programming is still right side up.
6. Partnering with Microsoft and developing ways to send broadband internet content to the STB as well as satellite signals.

I posted another thread about “What would you ask Chase Carey” but my friend didn’t get to ask any questions. Here are the questions that the brilliant CSR’s did ask:

1. What about a discount for Military/Retired Military? What about free service for the military over in Iraq?

Chase politely explained that D* is trying to limit the number of special discounts they offer, and that the footprint wouldn’t even reach Iraq anyway...

2. What about a discount for seniors? We could call it Senior Choice.

See above.

3. (Asked by a supervisor) What is our NASCAR number/driver going to be?

I don’t know exactly what number, I think it’s 7, I can’t remember the driver’s name. We will have a car with just our logo some of the time, other times it will be shared with other sponsors like Jack Daniels (drew a large round of applause.)
4, Any plan for portable players, or D* in vehicles?

(After a couple of players had already been demonstrated on stage in front of the retards)
“Yes, as we just showed you earlier, we have portable players in the works.” As far as D* in cars, Chase said it would probably be a few years before that was affordable for the mainstream. It is available now, but it is costly and cumbersome.

5. What about interactive teaching programs for kids?

Yes, there are going to be interactive learning programs, (math, science, etc.) for kids.

6. Sometimes we get calls from customers who were recently installed, but it was done by an independent contractor, not the HSP, and we have to refer them back to the dealer.

This was answered by John Suranyi, VP of customer service. We are trying to get more contractors to become HSPs so we have more control over the installs. About 65% of installs were done by HSPs this year, hopefully 70% next year.
D* is also trying to develop a more efficient system for contacting the installer, so that if you have to go pick up your kids during your 4 hour window, the installer doesn’t show up and leave a “sorry I missed you” door tag.

7. Will the installers be driving company owned cars?

The HSPs bought a lot of cars for the installers to drive.

8. Congratulations on your partnership with Microsoft. Will there be online gaming?

Yes, there will be the ability to play games online on your TV with a broadband connection.

9, We have a lot of creative people at Alabama A&M, can we submit ideas, or act in D*’s original programming?

Yeah, sure. Send me your ideas.

10. We did a lot to help the people in New Orleans after the hurricane. What about opening a company owned call center in New Orleans?

Well, actually, we had to dismiss some client call centers in the New Orleans area because the infrastructure there is still not operational
11. Yeah, HD locals are great, but what about more national HD?

That’s when Chase gave his reply, “I’ve seen that VoOm crap” “Its like looking at a pretty picture of nothing”. And said TNTHD was a possibility this year, but that was about it until the new sats are up.

12. Someone asked about Direcway.

We sold that company. We are now focusing on Wi-Max as our internet solution. Partnering with phone companies to provide discounts and compete with bundling.

DIRECTV original programming:

Of course, you all know about CD USA. They actually had an ad for it which featured Madonna. It was something like, “the hottest program on TV” and then Madonna said “especially when I’m on it”. They also showed U2 and Coldplay. I know the first edition of CD USA was kinda wack, but I think they might be able to get some really cool artists/bands in the future... so stay tuned...

DIRECTDATE:

A PPV channel that lets you view introductions to potential partners. Then if you’re interested, you pay a little more to get to make contact with that person.

Other random stuff:

The satellite receivers will have built in games. Not XBOX type games, just simple games.

After the hurricanes, D* gave out 125,000 free service calls, at a cost of $10 million. President Bush sent a letter of thanks.

Employees no longer have to pay for mirroring or the HD package. (They already get TCPremier free). Employees are also eligible for one free upgrade per year (including DVRs and HD).

We have received a lot of complaints about the font in the guide. There will be an upgrade to either change the size of the font or make it adjustable by the user.

They are also working on a “big button” remote control...A simplified, backlit remote with big buttons for elderly, people with poor vision, etc...

John Suranyi, VP of customer service for D*, said “don’t be ashamed to ask the customers to pay for services. If a customer doesn’t want to pay $99 for an upgrade, then maybe that customer doesn’t need (deserve) it. “ This drew the biggest applause of the evening. (You have to understand, he’s talking to an audience of CSRs who listen to customers cry and bitch and want everything free all day every day.)

When the receivers are able to connect to the internet there will be a gaming community.

I think that’s all I have for now. Let the bitching and crying begin...;)

;)

Last edited:
oh yeah make us "LEASE" an receiver then pay an OUTRAGEOUS fee for it as well. What a way to win over customers rupert!!!!! At least Comcast JUST chargest a rental fee and with TIVO you OWN it. Either you LEASE or you OWN it you don't LEASE and PAY for it as well. I know this is the wrong thread but cummon a lease is where you don't pay for something like my cable dvr. I pay $15/month to them but I return the box when I cancel the service no pay $15 plus $600 for the box like DirecTV is doing. What was Rupert smokin when he dreamed this one up?

Cum-cast

Yeah, f***in Cumcast sux.
I tried it, because I got it free along with internet service at a discounted rate. It still sucked so bad... I could not watch it. Granted, I tried to watch it. That was only because I could switch over and watch D* at any moment. I could not tolerate that $h!t. I had to go back to D*....so to each their own but, I'm stickin' with D*

John Suranyi, was promoted to President of Sales. My wife and I had a terrific personal meeting with John at DIRECTV's VIP CES party.

I suggested for DIRECTV to have a dealer advisory panel and make me the Chairperson. John thought it was an excellent idea and took my business card and added hand written notes.

We liked John very much and our one on one meeting was very positive. John was a senior executive at Dish Networks before joining DIRECTV. John holds the third highest position at DIRECTV, only Rupert and Chase are above him.

My wife and I also meet with Chase and several Senior VP's, including the #1 Chief Technology Office and Senior VP. Absolutely one of the very best evenings I have ever had.

-Robert

this explains all

We liked John very much and our one on one meeting was very positive. John was a senior executive at Dish Networks before joining DIRECTV. John holds the third highest position at DIRECTV, only Rupert and Chase are above him.

Hey Robert!

Robert,

Great to hear from you. I am new to these forums, but a long time lurker, and you are an icon. (Along with Dan Collins, Ebonovic, etc...) Yes John is cool, he's been around a few times and always been very friendly. I actually have one of your DTV/TiVo/VE shirts. I hope to communicate with you more in the future.

Take care.

sixteenbynine said:
Chase politely explained that D* is trying to limit the number of special discounts they offer...

Yeah, this will help stem the flow as subscribers start canceling in record numbers.

I wish I was there.

"Hey Chase I have an idea. How about we cancel the the Tivo contract and make everybody use our own home-brew boxes. We'll call them "advanced receivers" as a marketing ploy and make everybody pay $300 to lease our stuff and commit for two years. When we see the blank look on their faces we'll know they're confused so the won't notice a rate increase. We'll promise ten, no, hundreds, no, maybe millions of new HD channels starting "soon". We can call it our "No Choice Plan" :devil:

Last edited:
Wait Chase, there's more, how about the ...

"Nothing New Plan"
"Wait a Long Time and See Plan"
"Sign your Kids up now for HD Trust Fund Plan"
"Be Patient, Here's $30 Off your Bill Plan"
"HR10-250 Update Starts Next Week Plan"
"I'm Sorry, we didn't Receive your Rebate Form Plan"
"I'm Sorry, there's no Record of that Discount on your Account Plan"
"You didn't Specifically Request a DVR when you Ordered, so you're Stuck with Receivers Plan"
"I've seen that FiOS Crap Plan"
"Professional Installation Plan" (an extension of a popular plan)
"You'll get TNTHD when we're Damn Good and Ready Plan"

Tom J

Last edited:
sixteenbynine said:
John Suranyi, VP of customer service for D*, said “don’t be ashamed to ask the customers to pay for services. If a customer doesn’t want to pay $99 for an upgrade, then maybe that customer doesn’t need (deserve) it. “ This drew the biggest applause of the evening. (You have to understand, he’s talking to an audience of CSRs who listen to customers cry and bitch and want everything free all day every day.)
;)

I have two reactions to this statement...

1) This John Suranyi guy was trained very well by Charlie.

and

2) Maybe I don't need (deserve) Sunday Ticket with Superfan either. I've had ST for 11 years now and with this attitude, maybe it is time for a change.

Don

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts