cheap computers

petrix

Original poster
Dec 4, 2007
Hey guys:wave,
I heard that there is some web site where one can buy computers at wholesale price...i mean getting to buy a brand new computer at the same price the wholesaler gets it for, cutting off the midle man...:idea:C'mon guys link me up;), I will be more than happy and grateful:hatsoff: to learn more about it cos i need another computer or labtop with a reasonable price.:)

First, I don't believe there's much, if anything, sold "at cost" (does anything think that a company sells an item to Sears at the same price that they sell it to a small, local shop ?) nor will any manufacturer sell you *one* machine at the same price they sell to Walmart or Best Buy and so on.

I used to work in electronics retail. Here's the scoop... After rebates you get it for far less than cost. BBY and CC only mark up a small 1-5% just to cover the cost for transport. They make ALL of their money off of add-ons like anti-virus, memory upgrades and so on. Don't waste your time searching because it's just not worth it.

roll your own

I generally build my own from parts.

They're not necessarily any cheaper, but they generally have way better than the cheapest, low-end components in them.
That might include:
- a more exotic CPU cooler
- more RAM
- bigger/faster hard drive
- better video card
- faster CPU (or more cache)
- sometimes a system that could take a much faster CPU next year
- proper selection of I/O ports: Firewire, USB 2, serial, parallel, as needed
- exotic power supply if desired
- mounting space for future drives
- DVD burner(s)

...or at another time, it might be the cheapest CPU+board deal available at Fry's.
But, when you buy a pre-built, you get to choose all the items listed above, so why not make the same choices for a scratch-built system?

just my 2¢

Hey guys:wave,
I heard that there is some web site where one can buy computers at wholesale price...i mean getting to buy a brand new computer at the same price the wholesaler gets it for, cutting off the midle man...:idea:C'mon guys link me up;), I will be more than happy and grateful:hatsoff: to learn more about it cos i need another computer or labtop with a reasonable price.:)

I have been selling computer systems for 4 years. We have 6 suppliers and none of them will sell to me for any less than I could go to BB and buy one off the shelf. It is stirctly a matter of numbers, unless you are willing to commit to buying thousands of pieces at one time, you will never be able to buy one wholesale any less than you can retail at a big box.

Most Big Box stores sell for 2% or less profit margin. That is not even messing with. The only reason I get them wholesale is beacuse my customers who buy other things from me ask for them.

Newegg.com has pretty decent prices on PC's. Even better when you buy the pieces and build it yourself.

I have been selling computer systems for 4 years. We have 6 suppliers and none of them will sell to me for any less than I could go to BB and buy one off the shelf.
That reminds me.... There's a local computer shop that sells to anyone at (used to be, may still be) really good prices. So good that other local shops bought from them ! Do they sell stuff cheaper to the other shops ? Maybe based on volume but maybe not 'cause they're competitors. Then you have to wonder why someone would buy from the other shops....

Honestly, Tigerdirect has pretty good prices, and with wider selection than Wal-Mart has. With Staples, Best Buy, Circuit City, etc. you can find good deals sometimes, however, harder to know what it is you are getting and you can only get brand names there (where as Tigerdirect you can build your own).

Beyond that, get a resellers license, and order stuff from whole sellers (like bass computers). However, even then, you won't be able to buy a brand new (new model, with latest gear) for the same price HP, Dell, Acer, Apple, or even Systemax builds em for.

I wouldnt consider Walmart a place to find much in the way of computers or parts, you can find some basic stuff but its nothing like going to a Fry's or going online to newegg or tigerD or the local mom and pop.

i vote for you building a computer. That way you get to pick out the parts you want. I just built a quad core computer last week. Some good sites to check out parts would be newegg, mwave, zipzoomfly and many others. pricewatch.com is also a good site to check on prices from numerous vendors.

If you can build your own you can really save money. But, it is a task that a lot of people do not feel comfortable doing for the first time. All it really comes down to is screwing in some screws and plugging in cables. Everything is well marked and the plug connectors are all shapped so you cannot plug the wrong thing into the wrong slot. The hardest part I find of the whole process is getting the 4 snap connectors on the Intel Box fan clicked in properly. I have it down now, but it used to get me since I did not want to put too much pressure on the MB when connecting.

If building yourself you need:

Case
power supply (sometimes comes with case)
CPU w/cooling fan (fan is included in retail cpu boxes, if you get bulk or OEM cpus you need a fan)
memory
disk drive
DVD drive
optional screen, keyboard, mouse if not using from last system

Intel motherboards come with a giant fold out poster with step by step instructions (in pictures) for installation of Motherboard, CPU, fan, memory and where to plug in all the cables.

Its not quite that easy, theres several variations of amd and intel processors, same goes for memory speeds and types, structure types such as ide, sata, esata ect ect. If your a first timer its always a good idea to first figure out what kind of computer you want to build ( IE business, photo editing, music editing, simple gamer, extreme gamer, media center ) and then go and talk to several local mom and pop stores and get a price list with a detailed list of the products required with name and compare what each store offers and the prices. Doing this will help you out making sure you have the right materials and a local help line if you need it plus it keeps the money local.

Another option I like is checking out the major PC makers' refurbished/outlet web portals. Most machines were ordered and sent back, some died on arrival, but all go through a complete check-out before being offered for sale. This may be the only way to save 15-35% on "new" Apples. Dell's site is pretty volatile, so know what you're looking for before going in so you can move fast. HP has an e-mail list they send on a periodic basis, plus it is on-line, too, but can be hard to track down.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts