Cheap Spekaer Wire

directvfreak

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Oct 12, 2005
Columbus, Ohio
I'm looking for some cheap speaker wire to use for some speakers. I heard that you could use lamp cord and get fairly good results. I went down to Home Depot and couldn't believe the price! It was 29 cents afoot for 16 gauge lamp cord and 27 cents a foot for 16 gauge speaker cable. Over $1 for 4 feet! Ridiculous. Any other cheap alternatives. I need about 200 feet of cable because I'm setting up a zone 2 from my A/V receiver and I need about 80 feet of wire per speaker but I figure I'll get extra in case of any obstacles.

Thanks

I would recommend using 14AWG or even as large as 12 AWG for an 80' run. The amp in your tuner would thank you for it; I have a 2nd zone set up outside about 80 or 90' just as you are doing and I really have to crank the volume up MUCH higher than with the speakers with only 2' runs. The larger the pipe (ie: speaker wire) the more power gets to the speaker = less work for the amp. By the way; Don't forget to turn zone 2 off when you go to watch a movie on the main system. My other half was none to happy in bed when the speakers just outside the door came on kinda loud... :eek:

I use the low voltage outdoor lighting wire...its ugly but its cheap. Get it in the the outdoor lighting area at your favorite home center. :D

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)