Chernin: Player Scarcity Holding Back Blu-ray Adoption

gadgtfreek

SatelliteGuys Master
Original poster
May 29, 2006
Lower Alabama
Chernin: Player Scarcity Holding Back Blu-ray Adoption [FONT=arial, helvetica, sans-serif]
Author: ERIK GRUENWEDEL
egruenwedel@questex.com
Posted: May 7, 2008
[/FONT]
Email this Story to Friend
12687_news_image.jpg
[FONT=arial, helvetica, sans-serif][/FONT][FONT=arial, helvetica, sans-serif]News Corp. president and COO Peter Chernin said a dearth of Blu-ray players at retail continues to hamper wider consumer adoption of the next-generation format.

News Corp. is parent to 20th Century Fox Home Entertainment, among other studio assets.

In an analysts call, Chernin said many retailers carry just one or two Blu-ray players, which he said has necessitated a manufacturing push for third-generation players.

He expects the new players to reach the market by the summer and contribute to an upswing of both player and movie sales through the fourth quarter.
[/FONT]

Home Media Magazine | Chernin: Player Scarcity Holding Back Blu-ray Adoption

They may carry only 1 or 2 players, BUT they are just sitting there and not being bought, I go into BB and CC quite a bit and never have seen anyone at the checkout with a BD player, scarcity is not the reason for slow sales, it is price.

I thought Teachsac said the BD30 was hard to come by at one point? Could be that they shutdown production in hopes they would be gone in time for the BD50.

The BD30 is only one of many BD products out there, nice try. Geez. Oh and add to the list of BD products the pair of Poineer BD players just introduced for $600 and $800. They'll really fly off the shelves.

The BD30 is only one of many BD products out there, nice try geez. Oh and add to the list of BD products the pair of Poineer BD players just introduced for $600 and $800. They'll really fly off the shelves.

Pioneer has always had their own higher priced market, similar to Denon, particularly for audio equipment. At one point their name was worth the price. Not so much anymore. They still make a great plasma, even though they are going to start outsourcing their panels, and their BD players are quite good.

S~

It was not a "try" at anything. Its called on example of one instance I had heard of. Maybe you can look up the definition of example while you are researching obsolete.

I thought Teachsac said the BD30 was hard to come by at one point? Could be that they shutdown production in hopes they would be gone in time for the BD50.

Panasonic is a difficult company to deal with from a retailer perspective. They allot a certain number of equipment pieces whether TVs, etc. and when they run out, they are hard to come by. In an order of 12 or so players, we may get 4. Of the six BB's in my area, only 1 store has any in stock. Of the 10 CC's within a 60 mile radius, five have them in stock.

S~

Amazon, the largest online e-tailer, is still out.

Last edited:
In the context of this conversation in this thread one could argue it was a unsuccessful try. If the topic is BD players are not selling then to give one instance(without a link) is just that a unsuccessful try. The Panasonic site seems to be selling the BD30 just fine.

My definition of obsolete seems to be the same definition as many other sites and reputable publications.

Panasonic is a difficult company to deal with from a retailer perspective. They allot a certain number of equipment pieces whether TVs, etc. and when they run out, they are hard to come by. In an order of 12 or so players, we may get 4. Of the six BB's in my area, only 1 store has any in stock. Of the 10 CC's within a 60 mile radius, five have them in stock.

S~

Gotcha.

SInce this is a thread about scarcity, this is the status in my area (and I don't live in a little podunk town).

BestBuy:

Out of Stock Completely (6 Stores):
Samsung 1400 and 5000 (combo)
Sony 300 and 500
Sharp 20
Denon 2500

In stock (6 stores):
Pansonic 30 (two stores)
Samsung 1500(two stores)
PS3
LG Super Blu

Denon 3800 is a special order through Magnolia only and is not stocked. Pioneer 95 is sold through Magnolia and does not list stock online. Upon calling my budy who manages the store in my area, they are out.

Circuit City (10 Stores):
Sold Out Completely:
Samsung 5000

In stock:
Panasonic 30 (5 stores)
LG Super Blu (all 10)
Sharp 20 (3 stores)
Sony 300 and 500 (3 stores)
Philips 7200 (online only)

Seems kind of scarce to me. Been this way for months.

S~

Not a bad idea, nothing like real world numbers.

My area:

(Best Buy 6 stores)
Denon 2500 (zero)
LG BH200 (6)
BD30 (2)
Samsung 5000 (1)
Samsung 1400 (1)
Samsung 1500 (0) backordered online
Sharp 20u (1) backordered online
Sony S300 (4) backordered online
No S500

(Ccity 3 stores)
Samsung 1400 (1) out of stock online
Sony 300 (3)
Sharp 20 (0) out of stock online
samsung 5000 (0)
BD30 (3)
Sony S500 (3)
LG 200 (3)

CCity seems OK in my area, BBuy not so much.

Not a bad idea, nothing like real world numbers.

My area:

(Best Buy 6 stores)
Denon 2500 (zero) (0)
LG BH200 (6) (5)
BD30 (2) (4)
Samsung 5000 (1) (3)
Samsung 1400 (1) (1)
Samsung 1500 (0) backordered online (1)
Sharp 20u (1) backordered online (1)
Sony S300 (4) backordered online (2)
No S500

(Ccity 3 stores)
Samsung 1400 (1) out of stock online (1)
Sony 300 (3) (3)
Sharp 20 (0) out of stock online (0)
samsung 5000 (0) (0)
BD30 (3) (0)
Sony S500 (3) (3)
LG 200 (3) (3)

CCity seems OK in my area, BBuy not so much.

I added my numbers in red to the end of yours. Seems to be a trend here.

Seems they started phasing out early for the new models, makes sense. They are probably not moving enough of them to have a closeout sale once the new models are on the shelves, which in turns leaves a shortage when they do this. Hopefully this will diminish by end of 2008, and be much better by end of 2009.

Seems they started phasing out early for the new models, makes sense. They are probably not moving enough of them to have a closeout sale once the new models are on the shelves, which in turns leaves a shortage when they do this. Hopefully this will diminish by end of 2008, and be much better by end of 2009.
3 people in all America post unsubstantiated stats in this thread and you feel comfortable making the above statement? You guys just completely manufactured this theory. Amazing the lengths fanboys will go to hide anything negative about BD.

I see nothing out there that disproves the article, backed up by the President and COO of News Corp Peter Chernin. But as usual you guys(the usual suspects) find away to attack anything marginally anti BD.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts