Please reply by conversation.

zippyfrog

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Pub Member / Supporter
Lifetime Supporter
Dec 27, 2007
Chicago, IL
Currently I have Dish Network, and I can't say that I am disappointed with Dish Network, but being a baseball fan and not having MLB Network is really not sitting well with me. I am considering DirecTV, but have a couple of questions, specifically regarding DirecTV in the Chicagoland area.

1) Does DirecTV offer Comcast Sports Net Chicago HD full time, or only for games like Dish does?

2) Do any of DirecTV HD receivers have a built in OTA tuner so I can get the subchannels that I can't get through the Directv locals? With Dish, I have my OTA antenna plugged into the receiver and I don't have to switch inputs to get OTA and Satellite.

Thanks for any info you can provide me!

1. full time
2. not built in, but you can add on the AM21 OTA tuner to any of their HD DVR's, which WILL allow you to do this

Actually one of the non-DVR HD receivers does have a built in OTA tuner. Its either the H20 or H21. I don't remember which one for sure.

zippy, you might want to wait and see what you get before you invest in an AM-21.

Both the H20 (non-DVR) and HR20 (DVR) have built-in ATSC tuners. They haven't been in production for a few years, but Directv often ships refurbed units. The H20 doesn't have any network capability, which might be a reason to avoid it.

Currently I have Dish Network, and I can't say that I am disappointed with Dish Network, but being a baseball fan and not having MLB Network is really not sitting well with me. I am considering DirecTV, but have a couple of questions, specifically regarding DirecTV in the Chicagoland area.

1) Does DirecTV offer Comcast Sports Net Chicago HD full time, or only for games like Dish does?

2) Do any of DirecTV HD receivers have a built in OTA tuner so I can get the subchannels that I can't get through the Directv locals? With Dish, I have my OTA antenna plugged into the receiver and I don't have to switch inputs to get OTA and Satellite.

Thanks for any info you can provide me!

1. full time
2. not built in, but you can add on the AM21 OTA tuner to any of their HD DVR's, which WILL allow you to do this

The D* HR20 - 700 have a OTA tuner in them, you may have to request one to get one thou.

comcast only owns 20% of CSN CHI.

and 666-1 is the HD one.

Now we just need WCIU 26 HD (they said coming when D* has more room)

CH 50 HD

and CLTV HD.

Sadly, CLTV is for now Comcast and RCN only. Unless cable recently added them in HD, no one was carrying them in HD even if CLTV was cable-casting in HD. Even the U-Verse folks don't have CLTV. How do I know this from Northern CA? I'm a Chicago native and the proud mom of a CLTV engineer/director. So please keep requesting CLTV-HD on DirecTV :)

Sadly, CLTV is for now Comcast and RCN only. Unless cable recently added them in HD, no one was carrying them in HD even if CLTV was cable-casting in HD. Even the U-Verse folks don't have CLTV. How do I know this from Northern CA? I'm a Chicago native and the proud mom of a CLTV engineer/director. So please keep requesting CLTV-HD on DirecTV :)

Well, then you of all people would have the most up to date info on that subject ! :D

I e-mailed them and they where very open about need to call Directv to request CLTV.

I e-mailed them and they where very open about need to call Directv to request CLTV.

You have my undying gratitude ;-). Now, if I could only find a way for them to give CLTV to me out here in CA. I watch what I can of it on the web, but of late it is mostly WGN clips. At least I'm able to watch 'GN news via WGN America, now in HD. WooHoo!

For some reason I forgot all about the AM21 tuner for ota stations. Not a bad deal for only $50 with free shipping and no 2yr commitment to get one and only one channel I need and that is 26-1 for my beloved White Sox even though they are struggling this year. Now to go search for an indoor antenna as well.

Looked a little deeper into this and on WCIU's website it says "We anticipate that DIRECTV will be carrying WCIU in HD later this year." If this goes the way Directv told me that Tivo was going to be here last year this is going to be way way after the Sox season is done and possibly longer!

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)