Chicago DMA Satellites

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
Status
Please reply by conversation.

jpeckinp

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Apr 16, 2007
Las Vegas, NV
I'm in the Chicago DMA and 13 years ago I couldn't get DTV because I didn't have a view of anything below I think 100. Has it changed for this area since then?
What are the main sats for this area now I guess is the question I'm asking.

DirecTV uses 101 as the primary SD satellite, same as it was 13 years ago.
HD uses 99/103, in addition to 101.
If you cannot get a look angle at 101, you cannot get DirecTV.

Dish now has "eastern arc" which offers a bit further east look angle at 61 & 72 degrees, so that may be an option.

Current local channels carried by DIRECTV for the Chicago market.

The "A3" marked channels are usually Ka band HD channels (but can be SD at times) in MPEG-4 format for Chicago on a local spotbeam from 103W. The others are SD locals in MPEG-2 format carried on spotbeam(s) from 101W.

A3 Chicago 02 WBBM CBS
A3 Chicago 05 WMAQ NBC
A3 Chicago 07 WLS ABC
A3 Chicago 09 WGNDT CW
A3 Chicago 11 WTTW PBS
A3 Chicago 20 WYCC PBS
A3 Chicago 26 WCIU IND
A3 Chicago 32 WFLD FOX
A3 Chicago 44 WSNS TMO
A3 Chicago 50 WPWR MNT
A3 Chicago 56-2 WYIN2 PBS
A3 Chicago 60 WXFT UMas
A3 Chicago 66 WGBO UNI
Chicago WBBM 2 CBS
Chicago WMAQ 5 NBC
Chicago WLS 7 ABC
Chicago WGN 9 CW
Chicago WTTW 11 PBS
Chicago WCHU 13 AZA
Chicago WYCC 20 PBS
Chicago WWME 23 Ind
Chicago WCIU 26 Ind
Chicago WFLD 32 FOX
Chicago WCPX 38 ION
Chicago WSNS 44 TMO
Chicago WPWR 50 MNT
Chicago WYIN 56 PBS
Chicago WXFT 60 UMas
Chicago WJYS 62 Ind
Chicago WGBO 66 Uni

Sent from my SGH-M819N using Tapatalk

I'm in the Chicago DMA and 13 years ago I couldn't get DTV because I didn't have a view of anything below I think 100. Has it changed for this area since then?
What are the main sats for this area now I guess is the question I'm asking.
You must have a building in the way, or something like that. 100 is about as high in the sky as any satellite. If you have a smartphone, can you post a screen shot of one of the satellite finder apps showing your situation?

You must have a building in the way, or something like that. 100 is about as high in the sky as any satellite. If you have a smartphone, can you post a screen shot of one of the satellite finder apps showing your situation?
I used a sat finder app and it looks like I should be able to get DTV now. From what I read 99.2 is the farthest east for me now and by looking at the sat I have just enough clearance now.
Find out for sure on the 30th when they come for the install.

I'm on the 12th floor of an apartment building and on the west facing side, I have to hang my dish out off my balcony to get the signal. The south side of my balcony is a concrete wall and it kept me from getting the signal before that was on the 92 sat.

I'm on the 12th floor of an apartment building and on the west facing side, I have to hang my dish out off my balcony to get the signal. The south side of my balcony is a concrete wall and it kept me from getting the signal before that was on the 92 sat.
Directv used 72.5 for years for some locals, but I don't recall them using a satellite at 92.

D* never used the 92 Sat, you must be thinking of something else. (72 maybe , like Chip mentioned ?)
13 years ago they used the 101, 110 and 119 ... also somewhere along the way they moved to the 99, 101 and 103, which they use to this day.

119 is still used for some sd locals as well as some specialty programming.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)