China to build BD players next year

My guess would be, yes.
Some more details are needed.

First, it has been announced by the BDA (!), not the Chinese manufacturers. Tells you who is more interested in it.
Hence, I think BDA believes the evil of Chinese manufacturing is less than the evil of their own greed...:)
And the fact they announce this 8 months in advance tells you they feel not very comfortable.

Second, it would be interesting to see how much policing will be involved.

If the players by next year's end are in double digits ($99) and disc prices in single digits ($9.99), I think BD will be next DVD.

Diogen.

Lionsgate, Image Entertainment, and Platinum Discs have started releasing value priced catalog titles like Short Circuit, Rambo series, etc. There will be more to come along this line. The rest of the studios need to get in line, particularly, Fox and Paramount. I don't mind 19.99 to 24.99 for a new release in HD. I would prefer 19.99, it will get there eventually. I do mind 27.99, especially for a catalog title like Patton, Sand Pebbles, etc.

I would like to see inexpensive Chinese players for mass market. It will help drive down prices even further from other CE's. In less than two years, player prices have dropped 40-60 %. Another 40-60 percent will be nice. It is pretty unreasonable at this stage in the game to expect $99 players.

S~

It is pretty unreasonable at this stage in the game to expect $99 players.
I believe BDA has to weigh between making profits now or establishing a new format.
And I think the time to make this decision has come, studios start looking over the fence
Warner Brothers To Rent Movies Online Sooner - Bits - Technology - New York Times Blog
The creation of a REAL SOC player by Panasonic is another sign the time has come.

If the Chinese get the green light, I have no doubts BD players will be $99 next year.

Diogen.

Great news, thank Diogen. Lets face it, they need the Magnavox at $199 soon regardless. A $199 BD player at Walmart would sell great during the holidays.

My guess would be, yes.
Some more details are needed.

First, it has been announced by the BDA (!), not the Chinese manufacturers. Tells you who is more interested in it.
Hence, I think BDA believes the evil of Chinese manufacturing is less than the evil of their own greed...:)
And the fact they announce this 8 months in advance tells you they feel not very comfortable.

Second, it would be interesting to see how much policing will be involved.

If the players by next year's end are in double digits ($99) and disc prices in single digits ($9.99), I think BD will be next DVD.

Diogen.

So, can you tell me when DVD new release prices got down to the $9.99 pricepoint? I haven't seen a new release at that price -- even for junk DVDs! Diogen, you have got to get a better job and make a little more money.

All BD has to do is hit the $19.99 price point for new releases and get players under the $250 range and J6P is gonna start buying. I have already seen prices on BD's get as low as $14.99 and I think that is a pretty good price on a decent movie. But $9.99 BD movies and $99 for a fully functioning BD player? Where do shop Diogen -- the Dollar Store?

All BD has to do is hit the $19.99 price point for new releases and get players under the $250 range and J6P is gonna start buying.
Is there a reason - except for being able to say after the fact "As I predicted..." even if you had no f*cking clue -
you want players (standalones or PS3) to always be $50 less than they are?

I'll let the rest of your comments slide. This time.

Diogen.

Because of the new release prices on BD's my wife and I have decided to not see new movies in the theatre and wait till they hit the shelves in BD to buy it.. This of course after renting it first from netflix.

For the longest time you have been able to buy a new date and relase hit movie at Walmart for an into price of about $17.99 BD's should fallow suit.

As would many. I still think youll see that Magnavox for $199 by Black Friday($99 HDDVD ring a bell). With Walmart making a blu push lately, its going to help. One good(and bad thing) about Walmart is they can just about dictate pricing on items.

If this thread were in The Pit, I would make some crack about how you need to be careful if you buy a Chinese-made BD player because:

1. you need to wear gloves and be sure to wash your hands after installing to avoid lead posioning, don't let your kids chew on the remote
2. you are more likely to get lead poisoning because you will repeat the install procedure every 6 months or so when the cheap thing breaks and you have to go back to Wallyworld to replace it.

But this isn't The Pit, so I won't say anything like the above.

Instead, I'll just say that I think it is truly wonderful that we'll finally be able to get BD players mass-produced by a slave-class labor force with no hope of ever escaping poverty or oppression by a dictatorial regime. It is a well-documented fact that such workers produce far superior products, worthy of shelf space at Wal Mart, than do those lazy, high-paid Japanese engineers.

Last edited:
Instead, I'll just say that I think it is truly wonderful that we'll finally be able to get BD players mass-produced by a
slave-class labor force with no hope of ever escaping poverty or oppression by a dictatorial regime...
"If this thread were in The Pit, I would make some crack about" what else
needs to be said about brainwashing efficiency in the oldest democracy in the world...

"But this isn't The Pit, so I won't say anything like the above."
And there is nothing else that can be said...

Diogen.

Instead, I'll just say that I think it is truly wonderful that we'll finally be able to get BD players mass-produced by a slave-class labor force with no hope of ever escaping poverty or oppression by a dictatorial regime. It is a well-documented fact that such workers produce far superior products, worthy of shelf space at Wal Mart, than do those lazy, high-paid Japanese engineers.

And if this were the PIt, I'd say I really don't care. I more concered about the American people than what goes on in China or anywhere else.....:flag::flag:

If the Chinese have a problem, let the Chinese fix it.

I doubt we'll see $99 stand alone BD players of any quality before 2010 or (probably, IMO) later. I'd be shocked to see $199 stand alone BD players by Xmas this year. I figure that's about the best we can hope for next year.

So- let's all hope I'm wrong- overly pessimistic! :p

Due to ramping up production, I don't see a lot of Blu-ray growth until the fourth quarter. Even at $300, I think we'll see a lot of BD players move over the holidays. Once production is up, they'll start the advertising blitz. And the special deals will spring up. Package price on an HDTV and a BD player, anyone? That will likely be the killer sales technique late this year. Wish I could see the Turkey Day sales flyers now!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)