Chromapure and Display 3 Pro

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

gadgtfreek

SatelliteGuys Master
Original poster
May 29, 2006
Lower Alabama
Just picked up this newly designed meter. Looks to be best of both worlds in under $1k, and can read MLL down to .001fL which is nice. I went ahead and got the pro model so Tom profiled it to his reference meter in house, to make it even more accurate. In stock form, it was pretty damn accurate.

Also nice because this will be non contact, and no dark readings needed, plus its fast. Makes my life easier all around.

Hope to do my LCD next week, but I need a tripod adapter before I can touchup the plasma. Will keep people informed on how it works.

ChromaPure - Products

Just finshed my LCD, and got my Pelican setup. Like the little meter so far.

415b8bb1.jpg

USB light for laptop and USB ext cable on bottom
073fbaa9.jpg

Meter and pack on top
aac9c6cf.jpg

Shot of my LCD and the ext bar, which is working great
cec68a8b.jpg

Wanted to note a new release version is out. I tired a few beta's sent to me by Tom because I was getting erratic readings at times at 10% and 20%, even though the D3 Pro should read it. Low level repeatability is improved in the new version, and Im very happy with the accuracy. If you are off to red or green at the lower end, it shows up badly in dark scenes. My VT50 looks darn good, we watched The Hobbit without even using the backlight and I was super happy in a pitch black room (I touched up the display Friday night with a new version of the beta he emailed me).

Any of you using this combo on a plasma should upgrade ASAP.

I hear that, but I have a little less trust in Calman. They screwed me over on what was the C5 (Chroma 5 pro). The thing was never accurate, as proven with a reference meter yet they said it was. Also, are you just looking at the D3 (non pro), or i1display? Tom's version uses tables, just like the C6, based off a reference meter. If you were gonna go Calman, ideally its a I1 Pro 2 and i1display, and then profile the i1 at the time of use.

I can get Tom at all times, even on the weekends via email, and the D3 Pro so far has done a great job.

If I had to pick one right now, I'd use CP and a D3 Pro, but of course you have to use ControlCal. I used the Calman 5 software a good bit last month, and while it is much better to me than 4, I still like Chromapure. I've found the D3 Pro to be fast, and now they tweaked the low light handling it's even better. It wasnt that it had accuracy problems before, its just every now and then you'd get some funky reads at 10% on plasmas, at least dark plasmas. So you had to take several and kinda see the consistency.

With the latest beta I took almost 20 readings at 10%, spread out among gamma and color runs, and they were mostly consistent. Also, just looking at the meter's level of accuracy, you are splitting hairs with a D3 Pro vs a C6. I can get the VT50 at less than 1 deltaE on several grayscale points, but then whats the inherent error of a cheaper meter ;)

Long story short, i think either a C6 or D3 Pro is a fine choice, i just prefer the CP software and Tom's support. Calman acts like a bigger company at times, whch they are, but I like quick customer service too.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)