Ciel 129W Footprints

If they came out today and said we'll have 35 HD channels to Alaska by January that would keep me from looking somewhere else. We know they're going to be adding new HD channels to the conus lineup by the end of the year, it's been announced. How about a programming update for Alaska Charlie?

If you look at the Direct web site and put in your area code you'll probably find that you can even receive the Anchorage locals that are in HD via Direct, including Fox, and that isn't on Dish or the local cable. Go to AnchorageHD.TV - Yeah! It really IS that good!!! for a look at the direct tv portion.

If you look at the Direct web site and put in your area code you'll probably find that you can even receive the Anchorage locals that are in HD via Direct, including Fox, and that isn't on Dish or the local cable. Go to AnchorageHD.TV - Yeah! It really IS that good!!! for a look at the direct tv portion.

I signed up, now I wait to see if I can see the sats. Surprised that NBC HD is also missing from Direct.

I signed up, now I wait to see if I can see the sats. Surprised that NBC HD is also missing from Direct.

Dish carries the HD signal out of AK and shares it with Direct, believe it or not. Since they (Dish) haven't reached agreement with KTUU yet on carriage there is no NBC on either one. I still can't understand how FOX is on Direct, but not Dish, guess Dish just plain doesn't want us to have it. If Direct had the locals for my zip I probably would switch too, but my zip shows no locals. If they use spots they must be really narrowly focused to just the Anchorage are, not including about 60 miles South as the crow flies.

How do they do this since both D* and E* use different authorization systems, how do they allow their each others receivers to be authorized to view the content?

He's probably talking about the POP in that area that carries the signal via fiber back to the continental US.

Dish carries the HD signal out of AK and shares it with Direct, believe it or not. Since they (Dish) haven't reached agreement with KTUU yet on carriage there is no NBC on either one. I still can't understand how FOX is on Direct, but not Dish, guess Dish just plain doesn't want us to have it. If Direct had the locals for my zip I probably would switch too, but my zip shows no locals. If they use spots they must be really narrowly focused to just the Anchorage are, not including about 60 miles South as the crow flies.

To bad about the locals. So are you in a position to see Directs satellites? Even though I can get locals through Direct(providing I can Direct at all), I'm planning on keeping the 722 and getting a very basic package so that I can use the 722's local tuner and DVR functions. Maybe in a couple of years Dish has caught up and I'll switch again.

In Hawaii, dish doesn't carry NBC HD (KHNL13), though they have the SD version. They do have the other locals in HD, including FOX.

I think they had NBC HD for a few months in '06, but it didn't work out qualitywise. I think dish may be waiting for a fiber feed or something.

To bad about the locals. So are you in a position to see Directs satellites? Even though I can get locals through Direct(providing I can Direct at all), I'm planning on keeping the 722 and getting a very basic package so that I can use the 722's local tuner and DVR functions. Maybe in a couple of years Dish has caught up and I'll switch again.

I can see the Direct Birds OK, but without locals it's a no go. Bad OTA reception from translators and no HD at all. Maybe the additional HD channels will help ease the pain. :D

I can see the Direct Birds OK, but without locals it's a no go. Bad OTA reception from translators and no HD at all. Maybe the additional HD channels will help ease the pain. :D

I'm iffy on seeing them, but will find out on Nov 1st. I think I would get Direct and keep one basic receiver with Dish for the locals. According to the CSR I talked to the other night they have a $9.99 welcome pack. I would assume you would have to add locals to that.

Looks like a good portion of Mexico will be able to HD from 129W with an affordable antenna .

Red= 42 dBW
Brown = 32 dBW

Hello Nelson61,

Very cool maps. Regarding your comment about Mexico getting the new 129W Ciel2 with an affordable dish... Do you have an estimate of what size antenna (1.2m, 1.5m, 1.8m, 2.4m) will be required for the Red or Brown areas?

Normally, in Central and Southern Mexico when the signal is barely present they use the 2.4m. I'm guessing that would be the "Brown" areas. Another thing is that that footprint maps normally are not much to rely on when you're on edge. It would be nice if your maps were not like the others. I guess they can become outdated very quickly with adjustments by the provider.

I appreciate any feedback.

Thanks,

CK

What does this mean to me? I recently moved near to Oroville, WA. My equipment is a 722 with a 1000.2 Unfortunatly I currently cannot get a signal as my new residence is facing west. Op option to move the dish anyehere. With the new 129W (which I will be able to receive I think) is all of the dish channels going to be available on 129W?
Thanks.

Thanks. I currently have all channels, including all Movie channels.Can you provide more detail re HD channels. I currently winter in TX for six months, so get SA locals. Just move the 722 back and forth. I have been a Dish sub for 11 years. At my northern residence, there are some problems with the condo assn re dish location.

.... With the new 129W (which I will be able to receive I think) is all of the dish channels going to be available on 129W?
Thanks.

The 129 is going to have all MPEG4 which 119 and 110 sats do not deliver at all. You will need all your receivers on your account to be MPEG4 compatible or they won't point your dish there. Except for locals and international I beleive the new 129 will have all normal sub channels (some are HD, some are SD but all will be MPEG4).

CK

129 isnt going to be alll MPEG4. Look at it now. Those MPEG2 markets are there for several reasons.

My bad... I see about 180 HD channels coming on 129 alone (including sports packages) which are all MPEG4. I presume the 12 local markets (the only SD) will be going SPOT on the new satellite. Are there any conus channels that will be MPEG2? I thought probably they would slide the SD/MPEG2 locals over to 110 or 119 and use those slots for HD local spots since customes already have those sats.

Thanks.

Hello Nelson61,

Very cool maps. Regarding your comment about Mexico getting the new 129W Ciel2 with an affordable dish... Do you have an estimate of what size antenna (1.2m, 1.5m, 1.8m, 2.4m) will be required for the Red or Brown areas?

Normally, in Central and Southern Mexico when the signal is barely present they use the 2.4m. I'm guessing that would be the "Brown" areas. Another thing is that that footprint maps normally are not much to rely on when you're on edge. It would be nice if your maps were not like the others. I guess they can become outdated very quickly with adjustments by the provider.

I appreciate any feedback.

Thanks,

CK

Ciel 2 should be fairly strong in good portion of Mexico. The "red" is 42 dBw were a 1.2M should work. It drops rapidly from there and the "brown" at 32 dBW is a stretch with a 2.4M. All data is from FCC submissions and is what the manufacturers predict will happen.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)