Cinemax penny deal ending??

You guys will probably stone me for bringing back this thread, but I went to online chat asking about adding the cinemax for a penny back. They said no, but offered me 3 Free PPV movies without doing autopay! Not much, but hey, I'll take it!

My 1c for a year may have just renewed

Like most others here, I received a letter in march saying that "Even though your promotional period will expire next month ... starting with your next billing statement, your account will reflect the low programming price of $12.99 a month".

I called to verify specifically when the new price would kick in and was told April 11, the start of my next billing cycle, and that even though it would show on my next bill March 26th (which bills ahead for the next cycle beginning on the 11th) that if I called to cancel on the 11th that they would credit back the charges.

Well, I just checked by March 26th (2010) bill, and it says:

Service Date(s) Detailed Activity

One Time Charges
Mar 26 1 YR Cinemax Penny Offer 0.01

So, I am a little confused. Did the offer get renewed, did they make the program available once again. Is this an error on their part. Should I call them about it to confirm. Does the fact that they charged me the 0.01 cent mean I have it for a full additional year.

Don't think so

Like most others here, I received a letter in march saying that "Even though your promotional period will expire next month ... starting with your next billing statement, your account will reflect the low programming price of $12.99 a month".

I called to verify specifically when the new price would kick in and was told April 11, the start of my next billing cycle, and that even though it would show on my next bill March 26th (which bills ahead for the next cycle beginning on the 11th) that if I called to cancel on the 11th that they would credit back the charges.

One Time Charges

So, I am a little confused. Did the offer get renewed, did they make the program available once again. Is this an error on their part. Should I call them about it to confirm. Does the fact that they charged me the 0.01 cent mean I have it for a full additional year.

I don't think that the .01 comes at the start but at the end of the cycle.

One Time Charges

I can confirm that I received the same letter in March, followed by the reminder on my statement that I would start being charged the next month (April's Statement).

Just got April's Statement and new $0.01 Cinemax penny promotion line item appears with no addt'l charges for Cinemax at full price.

Quick CSR/chat later - found out I am a "privleged" (ha ha) customer and have been re-upped for another year.

Got a screen shot to prove it in case it comes up later.

Woo-hoo!

I looked at my April bill and I'm now being charged $12.99 for Cinemax. So I did a chat and had them rip it off. Bye, Bye Cinemax for a penny deal....

....at least for me.

I had posted earlier that I seemed to have the promotion renewed for 1 year for .01.
i even questioned 2 CSRs and was told it renewed for .01 well the May bill had a $12.99 charge for Cinemax. I was surprised how easy the latest CSR cancelled the Cinemax and explained that they are charging at the end of the promotion. I swear they charged at the inception but for a penney it just isn't worth the hassle to prove it.

This is so typically a DISH move though.

I had posted earlier that I seemed to have the promotion renewed for 1 year for .01.
i even questioned 2 CSRs and was told it renewed for .01 well the May bill had a $12.99 charge for Cinemax. I was surprised how easy the latest CSR cancelled the Cinemax and explained that they are charging at the end of the promotion. I swear they charged at the inception but for a penney it just isn't worth the hassle to prove it.

This is so typically a DISH move though.

I completely agree boba. Its a shame they can't continue this promotion, and the HBO/Showtime for 3 months deal just is not appealing. If we are to have paperless billing and automatic billing each month, we should be rewarded each month.

I guess I should change my preferences and make them send me a paper bill. :rolleyes:

I got the letter too and one good thing came out of it.

I called to cancel Cinemax and they said it expire on May 17th so call back on the 16th.

So I said, "OK...but since I have you, I just don't think the extra $10 I am paying for Platinum HD is worth it, so let's drop that."

The very next day Dish added Epix and after thinking it over the weekend, I decided that Epix pushed the tier back to being worth the ten bucks.

I went online and there was NO 'Platinum' option so I called a CSR.

I thought I heard her say, "OK....I have added the free Platinum to your Silver HD".

Curious, I went back to my online account and it appears that there is not really a separate Platinum option anymore and so their only choice is to add it at no charge.

Looks like I'm saving $10 bucks a month now, so I guess the phone call was worth it.

I looked at my April bill and I'm now being charged $12.99 for Cinemax. So I did a chat and had them rip it off. Bye, Bye Cinemax for a penny deal....

....at least for me.

Just looking at my April/May statement online and seen the notice that the penny deal will end as of next billing...I too will be saying good bye to Cinemax. Probably say hello to Netflix...

Not to be OT, but I got a question for the forum. On my statements I get this notice...See attached:
I have my 722 connected to both my land line and my broadband. Is this something that is just printed on the statement automatically?
Ghpr13:confused:

Attachments

• Capture2.PNG
    Capture2.PNG
    12.3 KB · Views: 208
I got this letter like 6 months ago, but I still have Cinemax and they never charged me the regular fee.

just got my letter today. Did anyone have to pay the downgrade fee?

I went online to my account today to cancel Cinemax because April was my last free month, upon doing so it had $25 in cancellation fees. $5 for a downgrade and $20 for adult programming removal. I quickly cancelled that and went to chat support and the rep told me no fees would be applied.

My penny/yr deal ended last month, based on my current bill. It went up $6 and the Cinemax-penny-for-a-year in my programming listing now just says Cinemax.

Oh well, it was nice while it lasted. It'll be interested to see if it goes up $6 next month to get to $12 or if I'm getting a discount because I have all the premiums...

Now that I've been informed via a letter that my Cinemax Penny deal is ending for me with the next billing I have 2 questions.
One, if I call Dish now and tell them I want Cinemax cut off when the promotion ends, will I be charge a downgrade fee? Or if I wait until my next billing and then call to cancel Cinemax, will I then paid a downgrade fee?
It seems like some of you have gotten the deal extended without doing anything, while others didn't. Should I just wait and see what happens, or should I act now to avoid ant fees? I know it's only $5, but it's these fees here and there and this tax and that tax that eat up your budget.

BTW: Sorry, I guess I had more than 2 questions!:eek:
Ghpr13:)

Last edited:
Now that I've been informed via my on-line bill that my Cinemax Penny deal is ending for me with the next billing I have 2 questions.
One, if I call Dish now and tell them I want Cinemax cut off when the promotion ends, will I be charge a downgrade fee? Or if I wait until my next billing and then call to cancel Cinemax, will I then paid a downgrade fee?
It seems like some of you have gotten the deal extended without doing anything, while others didn't. Should I just wait and see what happens, or should I act now to avoid ant fees? I know it's only $5, but it's these fees here and there and this tax and that tax that eat up your budget.

BTW: Sorry, I guess I had more than 2 questions!:eek:

I did an online chat and was not charged a fee to remove the service.

[COLOR=Black said:
DMarshal17[/COLOR];2190583]I did an online chat and was not charged a fee to remove the service.
DMarshal17,
Thanks! Was that after your deal ended and the price had increased or before?

DMarshal17,
Thanks! Was that after your deal ended and the price had increased or before?

I called on 4/25, and my deal ended on 4/25, so I did it the day of.

My bill online was updated with the $12.99 for Cinemax when I called. After the change, that was deducted, and no service charge was issued. The tech told me at the time he would waive the charge.

I called on 4/25, and my deal ended on 4/25, so I did it the day of.

My bill online was updated with the $12.99 for Cinemax when I called. After the change, that was deducted, and no service charge was issued. The tech told me at the time he would waive the charge.

DMarshal17,
Thanks again...that good to know.

My penny/yr deal ended last month, based on my current bill. It went up $6 and the Cinemax-penny-for-a-year in my programming listing now just says Cinemax.

Oh well, it was nice while it lasted. It'll be interested to see if it goes up $6 next month to get to $12 or if I'm getting a discount because I have all the premiums...

You should be getting it at a discounted price.:)

Just like mine ends in Oct.2010 and Dish should put me back on America's Everything package.:)