Cinemax penny deal ending??

There is too much ado about nothing here.

Companies lying to customer seems hardly 'much ado about nothing'.

I wish I could have contracts like that with my customers. Alas, I'm not in a market with only one other competitor who has equally lousy contracts. I actually have to deliver what I promise to keep clients.

Not lying

I wish I could have contracts like that with my customers. Alas, I'm not in a market with only one other competitor who has equally lousy contracts. I actually have to deliver what I promise to keep clients.

That's just it they aren't lying. The promo ends for them they end it for us. The contract isn't worse than any other contract that has clauses to get the company out of hot water. The problem is just that you don't like it.

I called Dish to sign up for the free HBO/Showtime for three months. They wouldn't give that to me, but signed me up for the Cinemax for a year penny deal. I thought the promotion was over as well, especially since I already participated in this promotion and it ended last month for me.

I understand that when the promotion ends for DISH then it is going to end for us. What disappoints me is how poorly the CSRs understand the end of the promotion and its timing. This is a very popular programming item and the fact that it is ending MUST be an issue for the reps to understand but people who seemed pretty competent otherwise were confused and of no help when it came to the Cinemax for a penny deal.

Yep. That's exactly what they do. It's not THEIR problem. It's OUR problem. Since we were the ones that signed the silly contract.

Again, I'm not a CEO, but it seems that losing out a few bucks for the short would seem like a more profitable move if it meant you got to retain customers.

Hell, I'd be less frustrated if they just would say "Yes, we are sorry that we lied to you" but they won't even say that. They just point to their silly legalese "we can do whatever we want".

Losing Cinemax isn't a huge deal. Losing a penny isn't a huge deal. Being continually being lied to leaves a bad taste in my mouth as a customer.

I understand that when the promotion ends for DISH then it is going to end for us. What disappoints me is how poorly the CSRs understand the end of the promotion and its timing. This is a very popular programming item and the fact that it is ending MUST be an issue for the reps to understand but people who seemed pretty competent otherwise were confused and of no help when it came to the Cinemax for a penny deal.

I think BXL4 is more in tuned with the real problem here. We all have signed on the dotted line with different companies in our life. Buying a car, getting mobile phone service, buying an extended warranty, or signing up for Dish. The problems are not so much the contracts we sign (we all know when we sign it we're getting ripped in one way or another), it's how we're kept informed of changes and how Customer Service is kept apprised of the changes.
The upsetting part is getting inconsistent information from CSRs. This is what degrades the whole company and it's relationship with customers. When I have a problem or question and get a CSR who is well informed and really knows what's going on and can explain things, I might not always like my answer but I will be more likely to accept it. When a CSR fumbles for an answer or leaves me on hold forever, then I likely to ask for a supervisor or call a second time. If I call a second time and get a different answer from a different CSR, then I start getting upset with the company I'm dealing with.
IMHO
Ghpr13:)

I just got my statement and it was 1 penny more, guess they renewed my Cinemax for another year. I first signed up for it Dec. '07. Was automated, never called, emailed or did the live chat.

This is from my September 28th statement. I have not received any update of them cutting it off....yet.

Here's the DISH...
Thank you for using credit card AutoPay with Paperless Billing
for your DISH Network account. As a token of our
appreciation, we have extended your Cinemax premium movie
channels for just a $.01 for one additional year. Thank you for
managing your account online!

OK, I just got my letter saying my promotion was ending, and I would lose my Cinemax channels. (That has not happened...... yet.)

They renewed me September and then my year is up in December......what the hell is up with that? What kind of calendars do they use at Dish?

Yet another F'd up Dish promotion/communication.....

I just got the letter.. but its still on...

When they switch it off, I'll vote the only way I can... switch back to paper billing :) (I'm not going to leave.. I'm still on Absolute which is too good of a deal)

I just got my statement and it was 1 penny more, guess they renewed my Cinemax for another year. I first signed up for it Dec. '07. Was automated, never called, emailed or did the live chat.
Same here. My bill is dated Dec 7th, and I got charged the extra cent. But I surely do not remember when I signed up for it; I think that was 2 years ago. Cinemax channels are still authorized as of last night, who knows for how long? I have so far received no notification of the deal ending.

Well, I also received the letter from Dish a few days ago stating my Cinamax deal has ended (although it's still on). So I decided to chat online with a rep to see if I qualified for the free HBO/Showtime (which I do not). So before I signed off with her, I asked when exactly my Cinamax promotion would be ending so I could cancel before they billed me. Well after a long wait (3-4 minutes) she said it will expire on 12/12/2010. I asked her if she was sure, because I just received a letter in the mail saying it was ending. She insisted that the date was correct and I would continue with the penny deal until 12/12/2010.

I just hope she knows what she's talking about. :)

My assessment on the matter:

Per my contract...as long as I keep auto pay with the card I signed up with...I will have it for a year.

I Hope I get a letter or notice!
Then I'll post how I got to keep Cinemax for a penny.

My assessment on the matter:

Per my contract...as long as I keep auto pay with the card I signed up with...I will have it for a year.

I Hope I get a letter or notice!
Then I'll post how I got to keep Cinemax for a penny.

Don't forget the part per your contract that says that Dish has the right to change, alter, drop programming at their discretion as well as changing the price of programming at their discretion.

OK so I received the letter about a month ago claiming the penny deal would be ending soon. No big deal.

Just checked my bill today and the Cinemax promotions was just renewed as a 1 time charge on 12/9/09.

Now I'm just confused. Would really like to know when it is actually going to end so I can adjust my DVR timers.

Would really like to know when it is actually going to end so I can adjust my DVR timers.

Me too.

I was thinking though. Remember we didn't get charged a penny for the first year (just one penny for the renewal year) so maybe unlike other Dish billing that penny that's being to charged to us now is for the 2nd year, so most of our Cinemax penny deals will be ending soon.

I just went back thru my online statements.. I had this in my May 09 statement
As a token of our appreciation, we have extended your Cinemax premium movie channels for just a $.01 for one additional year. Thank you for managing your account online!
are they really able to say that and then hide behind the "we can change anything we want whenever we want" clause??

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)