Cisco Files to Invalidate Tivo Patents

Maybe a few years ago but, as I recall, the major Tivo patents are set to expire in 2018....about the time this matter is decided by the USPTO. I just want the ability to purchase a reasonably priced consumer manufactured DVR that is capable of downloading the free or low-cost guide data that connect to any provider of my choosing be Satellite, Cable or Telco (All-Vid?). Is there anything wrong with that?

Is there anything wrong with that?
Yes. You might be able to figure out how to use such a box without actually paying money to anybody after your initial purchase. Haven't you heard, trying to watch free TV is the most heinous crime imaginable?

It will be interesting to see if Cisco can win where Dish lost. A different venue is their only real change from Dish, but after the Patent Office doing reviews of the patent failed to invalidate, I do not see Cisco having more luck than Dish.

It doesn't go into detail which patents they're referring to, but just out of curiosity, say one of them is the same one that Dish and TiVo fought over. If it were ruled invalid, what would the impact be on the Dish vs TiVo case or is it irrelevant because the case is closed ? Actually, as I think about it, I think it would reverse the earlier decision !

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)