Cities try to illegally prohibit front yard satellite dishes

anik

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Aug 28, 2004
U.S.A.
Apparently this is becoming an issue in Lincoln, Illinois and Schenectady, New York. There is a big discussion about this going on in another forum but the thing I wonder is, doesn't Dish Network have a legal department that keeps on top of issues like this and goes to bat for their subscribers? Seems to me it would make a lot more impact on a city if they knew that DN's lawyers were keeping a close eye on the situation - which they should given that many subscribers might otherwise choose to give up their dish rather than spend $300 to $400 in legal fees individually. Whereas I would think that Dish could file a lawsuit against the city representing all their affected subscribers, and probably get an injunction tying the city's hands. Does anyone know if they have any policy with regard to issues like this?

Yeah, there's another town here in central illinois that has that ordinance as well,
can't remember where but it's smaller than lincoln. I was there a few times to put in some dishes, both the customers and I said, "yeah, whatever!"

I've not heard back from them so I assume noone hassled them over it.

Dish doesn't need to get their lawyers involded!!

The Feds say you can put an antenna/dish anywhere to receive proper reception, period..............

:mad: can't people just mind there own g*d d*m business! they try and dictate everything the color of your house your trash cans rv's in the driveway grass too high yes you heard that right in rancho santa fe ca there is a law that states your grass will be cut bi-weekly to no higher than 4" the fine is $275.00! i will never live in a apartment or condo or planed comunity!!! this sh*t pisses me off!!!!!!!

hobojoe said:
:mad: can't people just mind there own g*d d*m business! they try and dictate everything the color of your house your trash cans rv's in the driveway grass too high yes you heard that right in rancho santa fe ca there is a law that states your grass will be cut bi-weekly to no higher than 4" the fine is $275.00! i will never live in a apartment or condo or planed comunity!!! this sh*t pisses me off!!!!!!!
I thought they call this "The Land Of The Free"?

hobojoe said:

When you come to these type of places,
Why would anyone buy a home in an area that EVERYTHING looks the same and all the rules and regs you've mentioned above.

Jimbos said:
Why would anyone buy a home in an area that EVERYTHING looks the same and all the rules and regs you've mentioned above.

You can add Germantown, Tn. They have lots of trees and most of the rich people who live there aren't the type to fight the power. :rolleyes:

Who knows how many subdivisions have nazi HOAs with similar rules. Technically, ours is supposed to be on the back of the house, but I put mine on the side where my power is to facilitate grounding, and I have done the same for folks who I have installed in here. We have no HOA. They tried to start one and it boiled down to transplanted retired northerners who were for and real southerners who were against.

Jimbos said:

Most of the communities with this problem are planned communities controlled by HOA's. You sign away most of your rights when you move into a HOA controlled community. My advice, just say no deal when you are informed that a community is HOA. Go to www.ahrc.com for some real horror stories about HOA's.

chadzx11 said:
You can add Germantown, Tn. They have lots of trees and most of the rich people who live there aren't the type to fight the power. :rolleyes:

Who knows how many subdivisions have nazi HOAs with similar rules. Technically, ours is supposed to be on the back of the house, but I put mine on the side where my power is to facilitate grounding, and I have done the same for folks who I have installed in here. We have no HOA. They tried to start one and it boiled down to transplanted retired northerners who were for and real southerners who were against.

Chadzx11,

You don't need Money to fight these ordinances or HOA Rules.

Put up your Dish. If someone sues you, whether that is the Town HOA or other, just show up at Court without a lawyer.

When you get to respond to the charges pull out the FCC OTARD rules (that forbid interference by others upon your RIGHT to place ANY ANTENNA or Dish under 1 Meter and present them to the JUDGE) and your DONE. The Court MUST rule in your favor.

John

Voyager6 said:
Most of the communities with this problem are planned communities controlled by HOA's. You sign away most of your rights when you move into a HOA controlled community. My advice, just say no deal when you are informed that a community is HOA. Go to www.ahrc.com for some real horror stories about HOA's.

Voyager,

It doesn't matter what you sign since any rule against installation of Dish's or OTA Antennas are illegal.

JohnL said:
Voyager,

It doesn't matter what you sign since any rule against installation of Dish's or OTA Antennas are illegal.

This may be true but since when do HOA's worry about what is legal. For them, it's whatever they can get away with, legal or not. Most don't even follow their own CCR's.

Voyager6 said:
This may be true but since when do HOA's worry about what is legal. For them, it's whatever they can get away with, legal or not. Most don't even follow their own CCR's.
Immaterial...
I've had 3 Dish Network antennas up for the past 8 years and didn't hear a word from my HOA about it. However, I did get a letter from my HOA a couple of months ago when I installed an OTA UHF antenna. I called my HOA and politely informend them that I would not be taking it down and that the FCC was on my side. She said "You know you signed the CCR's that prohibit OTA antennas." I told her about OTARD and how it specifically prohibits such regulations. I followed that conversation up with a letter stating my intention to leave the antenna up and a copy of OTARD - haven't heard a peep from them since.

A lot of HOA bashing in this thread... I've owned homes in communities both with and without HOA's. As far as I'm concerned, I much prefer the former. My previous, non-HOA community started out fine, but degraded into a nightmare. No street lights or other community amenities invited crime. People stored wrecks ("for parts" I was told) on their lawns (if they had lawns) and vandalism ran rampant. In general, there was no pride of ownership. People started abandoning their homes when they couldn't sell or rent them, which invited squatters, meth-labs and all kinds of other riff-raff. I unloaded that house for half of what I paid for it when it became unsafe to live there.

Eight years later, I'm living in an HOA community "where all the houses look the same". People park in their driveways or garages. It's a safe, well lit community. My child walks to school or the association pool with friends (past the white, ranch style fencing and the well manicured lawns and common area landscaping). My home has literally tripled in value.

For me, following the rules (that I read and understood thoroughly before signing) is a small price to pay for the benefits.

hobojoe said:

Russellville Arkansas has pretty much the same ordinance (although there is no set height limit for the grass). I got a telephone call from the Building Inspectors office to cut the grass or they would cut the grass and bill me. I had 2 days to comply. In an amazing coincidence there was a yard company that came by (they lived behind me) and offered to cut my yard for the low low price of $180 :eek: (note this is a house on 2 1/2 city lots, not exactly a large amount of land).

So I contact the inspector, he refuses to say who filed the complaint (because he dosent want to start "trouble". umk I filed a FOI (freedom of info request) and he had to turn it over. He refused so I called the judge. Come to find out the yard company (that lived behind us) had turned in the entire neighborhood. I didnt do anything about it but I do know that they moved pretty quickly afterwards. :D It seems that some are a bit more vindictive than I (I like to wait until noone can trace it back to me :>)

c-ya
Chris

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 2)