Cities try to illegally prohibit front yard satellite dishes

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
My hometown has corrected its mistake....wheee....

City won't go after TV dish owners
Attorney: City code clashes with federal rules on lawn placement
BY ERIN CLARK
THE COURIER

Published Wednesday, June 28, 2006

Homeowners with satellite dishes in their front yards can rest easy.

Last week several Lincoln residents received ordinance violation notices from the city - they arrived with fines of $25 to $100 attached - for having satellite dishes in their front yards.

But after residents and satellite dish providers protested that the local law doesn't jibe with federal regulations, it turns out the city will not enforce the ordinance - at least not for a while.

"It is my opinion ... that, on its face, that ordinance is not illegal," city attorney Bill Bates said Tuesday at a Lincoln City Council meeting.

However, Bates said the way the ordinance is being applied at least skirts the edge of legality.

The city is not allowed to delay the installation of dishes, raise the cost to install them or prevent dish users from receiving an adequate signal, according to the Federal Communications Commission. That means if the front yard has an adequate signal and the back yard doesn't, the homeowner can put the dish in his or her front yard, Bates said.

If the local ordinance is to be enforced, Bates said, it will have to be reworked to allow homeowners to place dishes in their front yards if any of the above criteria apply.

He also said the building codes inspector should have the power to grant exceptions in any of those cases.

"Blanket enforcement isn't going to work," Bates said. "For the time being, we're not going to enforce this."

When council members questioned why the ordinance was on the books in the first place, alderman Verl Prather provided a possible explanation for its origin.

"It's possible that when we adopted this ordinance, dishes were a lot bigger in size," he said.

Aldermen will discuss the matter further in the future. For the time being, though, satellite dishes can keep their spots in local front yards.

http://www.lincolncourier.com/story.asp?SID=1924&SEC=8

Sweepy1 said:
"It's possible that when we adopted this ordinance, dishes were a lot bigger in size," he said.

]

Thats the reason right there, bad enough to see a smaller dish in the front yard but these twits that live in a city or suburb that find they need to have a 6 - 12 footer in the front yard, along the side of the house or even on the roof of the house itsself are the ones I just dont understand just as I dont understand anyone that leaves a car on blocks in the front yard.

Here, it'd be visible from the front anyway, most likely, same with our other place - if you stuck them in the backyard they'd still probably be peeking over the wall, lol. Can't hide them state flowers! ;)

Van said:
Thats the reason right there, bad enough to see a smaller dish in the front yard but these twits that live in a city or suburb that find they need to have a 6 - 12 footer in the front yard, along the side of the house or even on the roof of the house itsself are the ones I just dont understand just as I dont understand anyone that leaves a car on blocks in the front yard.

Had a 10 ft. C-band dish for years - it was in my back yard so as to face south - however, if I had needed to, I'd have put it in the front yard. My house - my property - if you don't like it, don't look at it. This kind of stuff is why I have NEVER lived in a community with a HOA.

Sweepy1 said:
My hometown has corrected its mistake....wheee....

City won't go after TV dish owners
Attorney: City code clashes with federal rules on lawn placement
BY ERIN CLARK
THE COURIER

Published Wednesday, June 28, 2006

However, Bates said the way the ordinance is being applied at least skirts the edge of legality.http://www.lincolncourier.com/story.asp?SID=1924&SEC=8

This guy sounds more like a "WEASELLY" POLITICIAN than a lawyer. He now blames his move on BUDS, instead of taking responsibility for his lack of knowledge of laws and regulations.

Last edited:
Van said:

The BUD's really aren't need anymore and I have seen a house in another subdivision with one of the roof. I wouldn't try to stop anyone from doing that but I surely wouldn't. It is America and life is short if that guy is getting enough pleasure from that dish to mount it on his roof then God bless him. My HOA has so many rules it is ridiculous. I can see not having a car on blocks in the front yard but you can not have a nice covered boat in your driveway or yard. I could see a rule against some beat up never going to use it boat but not a nice one that has a cover. Some of these rules are just peole dictating their values on others. Also I believe it is a bit of jealousy. I would like to have a boat like the guy down my street that has been breaking the rules for two years. :)

Van said:

They're just proud of them. When you've got the best picture at the best price, why wouldn't you want to show off? :D

I dont want to take away anyones rights to do what they want to on their property but unfortunately not everyone has enough common sense. I worked on a house that had a 12ft mesh cband on its roof, the pole went into the attic and there was the base at 4 times the size of the post bolted into the rafters and the ribbon cable coming down through the roof to.

Honestly I can see going with a big dish if your living out in the country and cant get cable and or a good ota source and if you only have an option for a roof mount then going with it but even for me thats a stretch. But living in the heart of Detroit and having that dish plugged into the top of your house just makes you wonder.

Theres few area's left in this country where you are close to truely owning your home and property even after its payed off, if your in an unzoned region then thats as close to truely owning your land except for property taxes wich I have an issue with but thats another story.

Just for clarity, OTARD only applies to dishes less than 1 meter in size, so BUDs CAN be banned.

As for the Californicators here in Colorado, I should define it. They are the ones that leave California to get away from what's there, and then start remolding Colorado in California's image. They're easy to spot - they're the ones with the mercury vapor city night lights. :( They're the ones that complain about horse$#!t on the roads. :( They're the ones that try to ban everything that's banned in California.

Regarding some comments about letting people take you to court where you will then show the OTARD when it's your turn...

This isn't necessary, the FCC can pre-emptively rule against a complainant before they ever take full legal action against you. The FCC website itself has details of cases where action was threatened by a governing body (city, HOA, etc) and the "defendent" proactively contacted the FCC with all the details, then the FCC gets involved.

They don't like "locals" messing with their federal powers.....

kb7oeb said:
In Phoenix its illegal to park a car on your lawn, and they will fine you for grass over 6 inches. When my street light burned out I called the number listed in the phonebook and a few days later it was fixed. No HOA needed.
Heck, in some towns it is illegal to park on the street lat at night.

Cold Irons said:
... This kind of stuff is why I have NEVER lived in a community with a HOA.
And it is because of HOA's I've never had to endure living near a person that would put a BUD in their front yard.:rolleyes:

SaltiDawg said:
And it is because of HOA's I've never had to endure living near a person that would put a BUD in their front yard.:rolleyes:

AMEN!

or a car, a boat, a tent city, a garage business, a zoo/livestock, or any other crazy thing that these people want to do because "its their damn land" and then wonder why their neighborhood turns out like crap and their property values PLUMMET!

Last edited:
igator99 said:
My HOA has so many rules it is ridiculous. I can see not having a car on blocks in the front yard but you can not have a nice covered boat in your driveway or yard. I could see a rule against some beat up never going to use it boat but not a nice one that has a cover. Some of these rules are just peole dictating their values on others. Also I believe it is a bit of jealousy. I would like to have a boat like the guy down my street that has been breaking the rules for two years. :)

Its called protecting your home and neighborhood property values, not everyone wants to buy a $300k home and end up in a $150k crap hood. As the hood craps out so does everything in and around it; schools, shopping, etc. It has been proven time and time and time again all across America. That's why HOAs are so desirable. Now as said before, if you get a "nazi-type" in "office" you have to work to get them out, not blame that or all other HOAs. It is just NOT TRUE of the vast majority of HOAs.

Last edited:
Van said:

****** Why are you even in a satellite forum? Go find yourself a nice house in a gated community with a bunch of HOA nazis and leave the rest of us to enjoy our dishes. By the way, what hobbies do you enjoy? Maybe we can get the city you live in to pass some laws to keep you from doing whatever it is you want to do. It always amazes me that some people are so willing to tell other people what to do, but when the shoe is on the other foot they are the first to scream bloody murder.

Anyway, stay the hell away from my neighborhood, I don't want you living anywhere near me!

Last edited by a moderator:
There is no need to be calling other memeber's Explicit names, Doing so again will result in a 10 day vacation from satellite guys. The next time after that results in a perminate ban. Please NO NAME BASHING OR ANYTHING ELSE AND KEEP IT CIVIL! Thank you!

charper1 said:
AMEN!

or a car, a boat, a tent city, a garage business, a zoo/livestock, or any other crazy thing that these people want to do because "its their damn land" and then wonder why their neighborhood turns out like crap and their property values PLUMMET!

Everything is relative. On at least two different occasions in my life, when I've been looking for a place to live, someone (in the last case a real estate agent) told me that an area I was considering was a bad area - mind you, these people didn't know me from Adam but were telling me that I would not want to live in that area. In both cases they tried to make it sound really bad.

In both cases I ignored the unsolicited advice (in fact, their advice actually served as sort of an indicator to me that I should consider the area more closely). In both cases I have been very happy with my decision.

The area I live in now is an area that some people would hate. If you are big on neatly manicured lawns, homeowner association nazis and ordinences that regulate every aspect of your lives, you would not be happy here. I like to live in the woods, hate lawns and yard work, and don't mind if my neighbors choose to keep a car on blocks.

The other neat thing about this neighborhood is that it has somewhat of an anarchist bent, I think. For example, in my state any type of fireworks that explodes is illegal. In my neighborhood you'd think they were staging a reenactment the war of 1812 for about two weeks leading up to the fourth of July. Nobody reports those people because so many are doing it - you'd wind up reporting half the neighborhood. People like that are not going to give me a hassle about my dishes, either!

Despite all that, property values ARE going up (at least if the yearly assessments are to be believed).

Now, there are limits - as you say, there might be good reason to object if someone wants to start up a livestock business - but the minimal zoning we have wouldn't allow that anyway, and there's a big difference in something like that (which creates an odor that permeates your home) and the people who object because they don't like the color of someone's shingles or the fact that they have an older, possibly unlicensed car in the front yard.

Just a tip to those looking to put up your dishes without being hassled, and who can live with the idea that it's none of your damn business what your neighbor's yards look like - look into older, rural areas - the places where there are houses dating back to the 1950's and even (gasp) mobile homes. Look to see if the homes appear to be maintained (a high number of vacant homes, or homes in serious disrepair may indicate a drug problem). Note there is a difference between "maintained" and "aesthetically pleasing" - you're looking to see if the homes are abandoned or in disrepair, not whether you like their paint or shingle colors. What you're looking for is a fairly stable neighborhood with a good mix of older and younger people who may not necessarily have high incomes. Racially mixed is good too (be suspicious if EVERYONE is the same race, unless that's pretty much the way your entire county is).

If you can find a place like that, you're probably not going to get hassled about your dishes (especially if you see dishes in the neighborhood already). Bonus points if a real estate agent says, "You wouldn't want to live there!!!"

But the above advice is definitely NOT for the people who think that a dish in the front yard is ugly, or who drive past a row of lookalike houses with neatly manicured lawns and think, "Oh, how nice, I wish my house and yard looked like that!" It takes all kinds to make a world, and there are definitely certain types of people who should not be living within ten miles of each other!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 2)