Clark Howard says don't pay!

AttyWSW

Active SatelliteGuys Member
Original poster
Sep 10, 2008
Ditching cable/satellite to get free TV on clarkhoward.com

I'm with Clark. I installed a 30 foot minitower with a 12 1/2 foot antenna with an amplifier and Channel Master rotar. I get tons of channels and FREE HD on the local stations that broadcast in HD. I haven't tried plugging my laptop into the TV but it's a good idea.

I loved the DISH pre-paid but will not go with Flex. Either someone will offer pre-paid again or a la carte someday......

How many channels with your new setup?

I would say between 30-40 stations. Hard to say. Like I get 2 and 2-2 (all weather). I get about four different Channel 24's. I get a lot of Spanish stations, religious stations, educational stations. Only thing lacking is ESPN and regional sports.

I'm with STEELERRULE, when pre-paid comes back I'll buy. Or when they start offering a la carte. I guarantee if there is a demand, someone will do it.

Yeah, I'm a big Clark fan also. If it weren't for sports, I wouldn't pay for television, period as most of what I watch is available online. Even the local MLB team here(which I'm not a fan of anyway) is cable only.

I agree with Clark as well, and as time moves forward we are going to see more people doing that.

At the moment other then local news there is no need for local network affiliates, since all the shows aired are now on the internet to watch for free.

As we move forward and we gain more niche programming we are going to get that programming via the internet, while the core (high bandwidth) content will come via satellite or cable tv.

Let me know when Food Network, HGTV, Documentary Channel, History & History International, the Military Channel and several others are available for free in HD.

Let me know when Food Network, HGTV, Documentary Channel, History & History International, the Military Channel and several others are available for free in HD.

Navy: If the Food Channel, Documentary Channel and Military Channel are so important to you, then by all means, spend $49.99 per month to satisfy your HD appetite. Nice to see some are doing well in this recession.

Anyone who shoots their mouth off in public about how only an idiot would pass up free OTA TV should be required to donate their real estate to those of us who cannot get it with any reasonable antenna.

There is nothing wrong with people informing others of ways to save cash, especially when something like TV is not a neccesity too life, no matter how much someone tries to persuade you.

But then again, I don't tell people what to do with all those hard earned sheckles they get every two weeks. If you want to spend $70/month( I think that might be close to the national average with some paying less, some paying more) on TV alone, then that is your perogitive.

But at least show others the same respect who are trying to save people money. There is nothing wrong with others showing people there is another way, and it costs a helluva alot less then what you are paying now.

This site has an excellent forum dedicated to over-the-air TV reception. Lots of people who know what they're talking about, and want to help. OTA isn't an option for most people beyond 50 miles from their broadcast stations or live in geographic white zones. Nor is watching TV shows on Hulu.com or any number of network-endorsed web sites for people who don't have high-speed internet access. Lots of options for lots of people.

I'm not going to call anybody out for sharing this stuff, just try not to be militant about it in a section of this forum dedicated to people who like what you get when paying $2 per day for TV.

i wonder if clark realizes that he is showing people how to not watch his show on hnn.

what does it matter? There isn't much on his HNN show that isn't aired on his radio show/free podcasts. I listen to the podcasts and don't watch the HNN show because I've heard the callers before on the podcasts.

Wow. Clark "buy my book" Howard has discovered OTA TV. Which was all the TV people had until at least the late 70s, and still all the TV about 10% of people choose to get.

This guy and his wardmates Ron Blue and Dave Ramsey just bug me. Really bad investement advice combined with "live like a hermet and save all your money". If one had listened to Howard (or Blue or Ramsey) in the 1990, you would have lost it all in the Asian Bubble. At least Howard leaves the Lord out of it.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)