Cleaning up after the installers mess.

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
Status
Please reply by conversation.

coinmaster32

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Sep 25, 2010
USA
I did not have time to be out with the installer, but the installer left a mess, and I cleaned it up.
It did not make me mad, I actually had fun doing it. However I think this installer should be a little neater.

As you can see, ground block to nowhere , unneeded big loop of cable, extra parts left on the roof (will rust and stain the roof).

IMG_0151.jpg

IMG_0155.jpg

IMG_0153.jpg

Also since this was a SWiM install, the tech should of removed the extra cable.

So I got rid of the extra parts, took out the ground block, removed the extra coax, and ziptied the current one to the dish. All in all a much cleaner look.

IMG_0158.jpg

Oh, the new Slimline dishes now have a hold down clamp for the lnb.

IMG_0159.jpg

What is the point of a ground block without a ground wire going to it?!

It should have a single coax going from the dish to somewhere near the house's electrical meter and a ground block installed there with ground wire connecting to the house's ground, then coax from the ground block to whatever rooms on the house are needed.

What is the point of a ground block without a ground wire going to it?!

It should have a single coax going from the dish to somewhere near the house's electrical meter and a ground block installed there with ground wire connecting to the house's ground, then coax from the ground block to whatever rooms on the house are needed.

The electrical meter is about 200 foot from the dish, 15 foot away from the north side of the house.

The electrical meter is about 200 foot from the dish, 15 foot away from the north side of the house.

Your electrical meter is not on the side of your house? You live in a trailer?

The house should have a ground rod where the power enters the house and a thick ground line from it to the main electrical panel. Is the phone box on the side of the house? It has to be grounded to something, use that.

The company that did it is multiband.

I've seen plenty of installs worse than this. On a scale of 1 to 10, I would say that this install was a 6.

If the wiring was already there no reason to remove the extra cable. I know when I upgraded from SD to HD the installer left the extra cable there. I took it down later

those bolts and nuts may rust but wont rust the roof. I've left wrenches on my roof and they are rusted...roof is fine

but from a shingle standpoint (I help my dad with roofing)...3 tab shingles...ewwwww (seems like every 3 tab roof we rip off the shingles are just junk)

The shingles are sh-t anyway. Every time it rains, a ton of the pebbles come off the shingles, and it lines the gutters.

They will probably get replaced in 5 years.

Originally me and my dad wanted a tin roof when the house was built in 2001, but my mom said it would be noisy.

As far as the bolts and nuts, I've seen steel get left on a roof, and a few years later a long rust stain trailed down the side of the roof, looked like a giant stain.

Last edited by a moderator:
Looks to me like the guy didn't want to go down to the truck to get a barrel and decided to use the ground block.

I agree Jimbo. It's there for testing purposes, not as a ground block.

The shingles are sh-t anyway. Every time it rains, a ton of the pebbles come off the shingles, and it lines the gutters.
yep thats what 3 tab shingles will do. And if they are Certainteed then you've got bigger issues (the organic ones they sold for years were beyond crap and Certiainteed got sued over it)

As far as the bolts and nuts, I've seen steel get left on a roof, and a few years later a long rust stain trailed down the side of the roof, looked like a giant stain.

I guess I dont leave them on the roof for years....I am on mine to much to leave tools and stuff there that long

The shingles on the roof are Owens-Corning brand.

Also blow-in insulation was used, which I HATE, you get coated with that stuff anytime you have to get in the attic.
Fiberglass_Insulation_Houston_GUlf_Coast_Energy_Savers.jpg

Attachments

• Fiberglass_Insulation_Houston_GUlf_Coast_Energy_Savers.jpg
    Fiberglass_Insulation_Houston_GUlf_Coast_Energy_Savers.jpg
    24.3 KB · Views: 89
but from a shingle standpoint (I help my dad with roofing)...3 tab shingles...ewwwww (seems like every 3 tab roof we rip off the shingles are just junk)

Ya, those shingles are pretty obsolete, when I built a dog house I used better shingles than that, they were left over from the house.

14l82zp.jpg

That looks like my neighbor's Dish Network installation. Diplexed and all.

Almost all homes I see in the midwest, both old and new, use 3 tab shingles. I have never seen those types of shingles until they were shown in this thread.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)