Cleaning up and mounting a BUD

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
Status
Please reply by conversation.

Brandon Currin

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Mar 21, 2011
Lexington, Tennessee
I got myself a BUD, she's a 10ft beauty but she needs some TLC, lots of rust, any one got some ideas how to clean up and repaint it (I'll drop some pictures in a few) and the best way to mount her on a pole?

Sent from my ASUS_Z00AD using the SatelliteGuys app!

That 10' dish will make you happy........! I am sure you will get lots of ideas for the rust, but I used a brushed (Rust-Oleum) Flat Black paint. It looks great when complete. Have used a power spray gun, but that don't seem to last as good as hand painted. It does take longer, but last longer! Hey, enjoy :)

Here she is in her disassembled state gotta get the rust off, repaint, replace bunch of rusted and broken bolts then get the other jewelry then she'll be ready to go...
1475355824533.jpg
1475355829939.jpg
1475355835319.jpg

I got this BUD today and the feed horn (LNB was trashed, wires were ripped out and housing busted up, the casing said CHAPARRAL Idk is that a good company, should I have saved the stuff off or am I OK, here are the pictures of the dish after disassembly for transport.
1475368722561.jpg
1475368730235.jpg
1475368740429.jpg

Here she is in her disassembled state gotta get the rust off, repaint, replace bunch of rusted and broken bolts then get the other jewelry then she'll be ready to go... View attachment 120645View attachment 120646View attachment 120647

Hey, that's a great find. An excellent project to get you started on a fun hobby. My first suggestion would be to stick with one thread on this dish. It will be confusing to you and others to have several threads about this same dish. You will get better assistance with only one post to follow. We maybe can get a mod to merge your threads in a relevant manor. :)

I can recommend a Titanium Satellite LNBF for your dish. Also I would look for a less expensive receiver until you get more experience in the hobby. You will want a controller for your dish mover(actuator) The FTA market is a little depressed right now and the choices are limited for equipment. There is a lot of discussion in the FTA forums about current receivers and dish controllers so do a lot of reading and save yourself some aggravation and money by being informed. There are FTA dealers active in this forum and this always is a good sign of a reputable dealer so look for them.

Appreciate it, if I knew how to delete my threads on the app I would...... I'm saving to buy a linkbox 9000i receiver, since I have been told it is the best, I'm just confused about a controller (the titanium controller) and actuator to move the BUD...

Merged your threads, to keep things easier to follow.
What are you confused about on a controller?

Reactions: Brandon Currin
You will want an actuator. Do not buy a cheap $50 actuator unless you only want to move the dish once a month or so. They wear out way too fast. A good Venture can be $250 or more but a better investment. If you can find an older used one, Bonus! The Titanium Satellite ASC1 is an upscale dish controller and offers complete control of almost any dish + LNB(F) setup. Less expensive and comprehensive VBox controllers are out there but there is that quality issue for cheaper Chinese imports.

I'm planning on grabbing all my stuff from Mega, since I have browsed his page for days now, lol.. Just don't want to spend unnecessarily.... I do plan to add a KU dish down the road... But wanting to get the BUD up since it has more of the channels the misses prefers

Appreciate it KE4ST I'm not complaining, sorry if it sounded like it, I'm over joyed to have these both.... Now it's just getting the other equipment needed to set up one dish so that I can enjoy this....

Reactions: KE4EST
Oh no I wasn't taking it as complaining. :)
I was just saying, always take what you can find. Especially free!
This is the best way to get quality BUD's these days, without out going the commercial route and spending thousands.
Always good to have spare parts too, they don't make these dishes anymore. ;)

Nice find Brandon.Have 1 just like it here ( 10' Unimesh ) ..Nice performer!What are you thinking about a feedhorn?..Keep it dedicated for Cband only or Cband and Ku?..Whatever you decide I recommend keeping the moollaa here in the states...Venture actuators still made in the USA!! Ohio!!..Rick,Titanium and KE4EST are very reputable dealers right here in the US!. Good luck with the new install.

Hockeynut appreciate the complement, she will be a dedicated C-band only, I'll do a separate KU dish later... I had planned to grab my equipment from hypermegasat.com just gotta get my list of what I need to get.

KE4ST I appreciate your help I'm just kinds lost...

What is all the equipment I will need for my C-band : I have what I know of below :

C-band LNB(F)
Actuator
Titanium controller

Is there anything else you think I will need?

KE4ST I appreciate your help I'm just kinds lost...

What is all the equipment I will need for my C-band : I have what I know of below :

C-band LNB(F)
Actuator
Titanium controller

Is there anything else you think I will need?

You will need proper cabling. I suggest using "ribbon cable" for C-Band dishes. It has two RG6 runs, a three wire run for the polarrotor motor and a Motorpower/position sensor run which is shielded. Make sure to use shielded wire for the position sensor.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 4)