Closed Captions on Openbox S9

Status
Please reply by conversation.
No, I haven't. I have tested & found that it will record them with the rest of the stream. But the S9 won't display them... at least, nothing I've tried has made it work.

But you can confirm that it's receiving/recording them by recording a snippet from a source that's known to have them. Then take the file to a PC & run it through CCextractor... they're there.

I'm by no means an expert on why the S9 won't pass line 21 captions to an analog TV, but I suspect that the S9 is progressive scan & that line 21 captions are only available with interlaced video. I'm not real sure about that, so someone can correct me if I'm wrong.

Cheers

Thanks for the reply. I hadn't considered the difference between the analog signal and the digital stream. I have both options, but it is the analog output that I am most interested in. I bought one of the hdmi to S-video converters, so I can possibly try the digital output and see if that will work. If the data is there, maybe I can find a way to extract it.

Thanks, again. You have been most helpful

EIA608 (line 21 pass through) capability is available on the chipset used by the S9. This would only be available on the composite output if the firmware developer included the CC table.

EIA708 (PID data - not typically transmitted on FTA channels in North America) is only available for consumer systems if the STB has the ability to process and overlay the text on the video outputs. HDMI will not pass CC data for decoding and display by your TV or monitor.

EIA608 (line 21 pass through) capability is available on the chipset used by the S9. This would only be available on the composite output if the firmware developer included the CC table.

EIA708 (PID data - not typically transmitted on FTA channels in North America) is only available for consumer systems if the STB has the ability to process and overlay the text on the video outputs. HDMI will not pass CC data for decoding and display by your TV or monitor.

Many thanks, info like this pretty much lays the issue to rest. I am primarily interested in the PBS channels, and my Pansat 9200 will display the CC with no problem through the composite output (wondered why CC didn't work with the hdmi connected tv), but the Openbox will not. Was hoping that there was some secret that I was not aware of.

Thanks again

Interesting subject.

I just found 3 channels that will pass CC over a component connection using a conaxsat receiver.

Catamount

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)