using openbox s9 for recording help

Status
Please reply by conversation.

chadg2

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Apr 2, 2006
Maiden Rock, WI
I've had my openbox s9 for a few weeks and love it so far. I got around to hooking up a external hard drive via usb to the unit to try the pvr function of it and I can record and playback with it, but sometimes the openbox locks up only when doing pvr functions. The openbox never locks up just watching programs, mostly in the record manager it locks. The only way I can get it going is to shut off master power on back of openbox. Is this a known issue, is there some external harddrives that work better than others? I can't spend enough time with my new toy. Drives my wife crazy. Thanks, Chad

Chad,

I've done a fair amount of recording/playback with my Openbox and I have never had it lock up under any circumstances. Sadly the same thing cannot be said for my Pansat.

It might be the hard drive I'm using it's quite old, I just wanted to see if the pvr would work before I bought a new hard drive. Did you format to fat32 before recording? Also what did you do to keep your 4dtv working as just a dish mover and is it slaved to your FTA receiver? Did you do the X4 reset, or just leave it alone after Jan 1. 2011? Also is your clock showing the correct time? Thanks, Chad

I don't think the problem is your hard drive.

I've had it lock up in the recording manager several times, depending on what firmware version I'm using. Some are pretty good, some are pretty bad. I haven't had time to test recording at all on the current one.

just upgraded firmware to NM_HDS2_CMT_1009270839LFTA and now no recording lockups yet. Hope that was the problem. Don't like my menu background now though. But if no lock-ups, I will live.

just upgraded firmware to NM_HDS2_CMT_1009270839LFTA and now no recording lockups yet. Hope that was the problem. Don't like my menu background now though. But if no lock-ups, I will live.

Those lockups are something known to happen with firmware used by pirates in Europe, stick with a firmware for America and most likely you will be set =).

It might be the hard drive I'm using it's quite old, I just wanted to see if the pvr would work before I bought a new hard drive. Did you format to fat32 before recording? Also what did you do to keep your 4dtv working as just a dish mover and is it slaved to your FTA receiver? Did you do the X4 reset, or just leave it alone after Jan 1. 2011? Also is your clock showing the correct time? Thanks, Chad

I thought the hard drive might be your problem, but it is good to see that that is not it. My hd was formated to NTFS, and I left it that way. I connected the 4dtv receiver to the fta receiver as a slave using a coupler that would not pass the DC Lnb voltage. If I have the FTA receiver set to the proper satellite and polarity, the 4dtv works properly. I did not do the X4 reset, and my clock is correct. The clock is on DST and has been there for time now. All last winter, when we went to standard time, my 4dtv clock stayed on DST. I do not know where the clock signal comes from, and I did notice that when I had it unplugged for a while the clock time was lost, but recovered. I usually leave the dish pointed at G28 (89W).

All cardsharing firmware released after October 1, 2010 has this record menu lockup/reboot problem. A recently released FTA-only/non-networking firmware no longer has this problem and fixes the green tint issue in NTSC composite output, as well.

All cardsharing firmware released after October 1, 2010 has this record menu lockup/reboot problem. A recently released FTA-only/non-networking firmware no longer has this problem and fixes the green tint issue in NTSC composite output, as well.

There is a firmware released which fixes the green tint issue? Please point me to where it is (or has it been put in the downloads section)?

I take that back. I just got the new firmware to reboot while going back and forth into the recording menu, so I guess they haven't fixed that, yet :(

There is a firmware released which fixes the green tint issue? Please point me to where it is (or has it been put in the downloads section)?

I don't know if it's posted here or not, but there is a new firmware out that is supposed to fix the composite green tint issue. It is version HDS2-11-03-21:01A2M.

I have not tried it yet because it's also supposed to make the blindscanning really slow. Since I just use my S9 as a blindscanner for my HTPC, I'd rather have fast scans & green tint.

If you don't care about blindscan speed, this might be the FW that you want.

Cheers

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)