CNBC reports that Tivo likely to win suit

sigmtr

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Jul 3, 2006
Central IL
Just was watching some CNBC and two stories were in the same segment, one about the woman losing the music sharing case and the other about Tivo likely prevailing on their suit against E*.

The gal doing the stand-up report said at the end that this will mean two things to E*: Having to pay about $90M to Tivo AND shutting off the DVR functions on millions of customer receivers.

And here I just ordered a 722 to replace my 625.

sigmtr

If tivo wins/settlement/etc, there is no way DISH is going to allow their DVRs to be turned off, or at least not the majority of them. They will find a way in the 11th hour to get a deal in place to allow the DVRs to continue working. DISH may be stubborn, but they wouldn't risk sending droves of their customers to DirecTV or Cable (I can see the diretv ads now -- "the leader in HD capacity and we have DVRs that won't get turned off"). That being said I'm still clinging to my ultimate dream of Dish and Tivo settling with the Tivo UI being ported to DISH DVRs.

thats probably worst case scenarios... kind of like the whole blackberry's going away thing... Or OJ facing 40 years in prison for the Vegas fiasco.

I heard that its 6 months before a final ruling, plenty of time to settle it out of court in a way palatable to both sides.

If tivo wins/settlement/etc, there is no way DISH is going to allow their DVRs to be turned off, or at least not the majority of them. They will find a way in the 11th hour to get a deal in place to allow the DVRs to continue working. DISH may be stubborn, but they wouldn't risk sending droves of their customers to DirecTV or Cable (I can see the diretv ads now -- "the leader in HD capacity and we have DVRs that won't get turned off"). That being said I'm still clinging to my ultimate dream of Dish and Tivo settling with the Tivo UI being ported to DISH DVRs.

x2

Just like the Blackberry/RIM lawsuit...you won't see any devices losing their functionality. That would drive a company out of business. It will all come down to $$$ that Dish will have to pay and future developments of receivers.

Once again, a court proceeding is being tried and resolved in the media. If what they are saying is true, why have a judicial system?

x2

Until the Judge rules, I'll take whatever is reported via the media outlets with not much credibility.

Maybe we should ask MemoriesOfMojo...that guy has all the inside info.;)

Dish better buy Tivo or sounds like their screwed and us! Take away my DVR functions and see ya, Dish! :hatsoff:
dish SHOULD by tivo regardless. there's some nice functionality they have that i'd like to see in the 722, minus all the cartoony boops and bongs. heck, i'd just like to see their guide data in my 722 listings... it's not too far-fetched given the recent slingbox deal.

just do it, charlie!

I know the older DISH DVRs ran on Linux. Does the 622/722 as well? If so, it would not be a huge undertaking to port the TiVO interface over to those boxes. Perhaps DISH should buy TiVO...

Ted

Note that the hardware patents were invalidated. So, it is just software patents that were found to be in viloation. It could be quite possible that Dish could release a new update that works around the patent violations. If Dish does work around the patents, it still would have to cough up the $$ to pay for the infringements to date. At least they can release software fixes, if it was a hardware patent it would be much more difficult since they could have to turn off all the boxes unless they resolve the licensing with TiVo.

I predict that they will license the TiVo patents, and make a big up front payment to TiVo to settle the matter (I would guess $75 million).

Didn't the lawsuit only affect older dvr's and not the new ones? I don't remember why but I thought they said the tech in the older ones was what the lawsuit was over and that the newer receivers had different tech.

I agree remember back to the Blackberry suit everone was to have their Blackberry shut off what were they to do ?? turned out a big nothing no one had their service disturbed ...just laywers dukeing it out in the eagerly waiting media trying to fill time between coverages of Paris Hilton,Lindsay Lohan, Britney Spears, and OJ ......

Didn't the lawsuit only affect older dvr's and not the new ones? I don't remember why but I thought they said the tech in the older ones was what the lawsuit was over and that the newer receivers had different tech.
The lawsuit listed DVRs that existed at the time of the filing. There's no reason to presume that newer DVRs use different software or code. Dish thinks they will win, so they aren't going to do anything different. If they're not going to win, they'll "settle".

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts