CNN and HLN gone/ Dish-Turner Dispute - Now Back 11/21

Status
Please reply by conversation.
Wow. I didn't know Turner was their first partner. That is actually a huge part to a company like dish. Has Echostar or Dish ever sold its assets?

Wait. What Charlie said was that not doing business with Turner would save lots of money and our rates may not go up because of it. If that is true, okay. But who believes that? No one in their right mind. Rates will continue to rise as surely as the sun rises. What the truth is is that Charlie is not paying Turner but neither is he reducing our rates. He raises our rates when providers raise theirs but does not reduce our rates when he does not have to pay them. What is happening is that he is pocketing all the savings from not paying Turner and it is as simple as that.

If my bill is reduced all is good but I doubt next month's bill will be less than when I had the Turner channels. Charlie is simply getting richer, pocketing the cash saved and providing nothing to subscribers equal to the loss. He even is intimating that the loss of TNT and TBS might not be a big deal. See, he does not even understand. But if that happens, I'm gone!

While I love TCM and would watch CNN/HLN on some rare occasions, the reality is that Turner has only 2 channels that have some marketing clout these days, and that is TBS and TNT. And that puts Turner in a poor negotiating position until the TBS/TNT contracts expire.

You can bet your bippy that is the prime reason this has lasted as long as it has. Without the TBS/TNT part of the deal, Turner should be getting less than they are now based on the overall watcher base they attract on those other channels.

Sent from my Surface with Windows 8 Pro using Tapatalk

I have to say that I am extremely disappointed how long the talks are going right now. I really missed TCM over Halloween and I miss watching Adult Swim on the over nights. I'm amazed how far it's gotten especially with election day today. CNN is going to be missing out on some decent ratings from the Dish side of things. I know I got a money off per month for the next six months, but I have to say that if this continues, I may have to look at DirecTV. I don't want to, but if the programming I watch isn't there, I need to drop Dish. Sad after being a customer for 14 years plus.

This is really the first time I have thought about changing. 2 of the channels that I missing are some of the core channels that I watch. If TNT and TBS are dropped, I'm gone. It's disappointing to see how far it's gone. I know it comes down to money and I see Charlie's point. But there is more than just CNN in this situation.

Wow. I didn't know Turner was their first partner. That is actually a huge part to a company like dish. Has Echostar or Dish ever sold its assets?
Did he use the word "partner" ? I think what simply meant was they signed on with Charlie at the start because without channels, his satellite TV service doesn't have much value !

I just read those comments from Charlie again and he said something very interesting - and something I've said they could and certainly must be doing:

Charlie Ergen said:
We know how many minutes people watch CNN and how many minutes they watched five years ago and it’s hard to pay a double-digit price increase

Partner only in a very loose sense of the term.
I don't see how DISH can drop TNT and TBS more than just during a dispute. Two of the most watch Cable channels. I see DISH being more willing to pay to keep those. On the other hand I see little to no consequence to the present channels never coming back.

I found that article interesting. I think it was a way he hopes to get the talks back on track. He managed to threaten he is prepared to just be a carrier that does not have those channels and tells the truth that they are not being watched much. while on the other hand he praised them, talking about their past and how he really wants them to stay.
Of course the one that we will have to see, "If we’re not going to be in a relationship with Turner then we would not have to raise our prices next year." I assume that means no TNT or TBS.

I just chatted with a rep and they removed it. Why? I also told them I was unhappy about CNN and they gave me an extra $5 off per month for 6 months.

You can't add an RSN and you can't have it removed. (At least for credit) If the RSN is part of your package there is no such thing as having it removed or removed for credit. Many people would do either if they could. Credit is either for your mention of CNN or because DISH is not carrying all the games. If the RSN is part of your package at some point you will pay for it watching or not.

"If we’re not going to be in a relationship with Turner then we would not have to raise our prices next year." I assume that means no TNT or TBS.
Odd it'd be for me to lose one of my top channels, but hey... don't have to pay more next year. :confused:

I don't see Turner going away. This is Sat Diplomacy, but still, to permanently lose channels like that and then say the price will remain the same?

You can't add an RSN and you can't have it removed. (At least for credit) If the RSN is part of your package there is no such thing as having it removed or removed for credit. Many people would do either if they could. Credit is either for your mention of CNN or because DISH is not carrying all the games. If the RSN is part of your package at some point you will pay for it watching or not.

I went from Americas Top 120+ to Americas Top 120. It did not affect my contract/promotions.

Maybe he was paying for the Multi-Sports package and he got rid of that. There are no ways of dropping just a single channel.

I think he explained, he did a simple package change... 120+ to 120 drops the RSNs but it's not a credit each month, it's just the pckage price.

I just read those comments from Charlie again and he said something very interesting - and something I've said they could and certainly must be doing:

Yes, dish does an internal monitoring of channels. Although your receiver sends the reports back to dish, it is not stored with any account specifics. Just what each box is watching and for how long in all of dish network. You can call in, and have them remove that access, if you feel a privacy breach, but most reps have no idea about it(neither do customers)... This is for dish only, not to be shared with anybody else.

Maybe he was paying for the Multi-Sports package and he got rid of that. There are no ways of dropping just a single channel.

No. The difference between 120 and 120+ is the addition of regional sports networks (by zip code). Not the multi sport pack. I had my regional sports networks removed which brought me down to the 120, without any other changes in the contract.

No. The difference between 120 and 120+ is the addition of regional sports networks (by zip code). Not the multi sport pack. I had my regional sports networks removed which brought me down to the 120, without any other changes in the contract.

That makes sense. You just dropped your package, which just happens to only carry your RSN.

Only changes to the contract, currently, would be if you upgrade your equipment with different leased equipment.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)