CNN and HLN gone/ Dish-Turner Dispute - Now Back 11/21

Status
Please reply by conversation.
These programmers are going to offer their own ala carte getting rid of the middle man to keep the profits for themselves instead of having to split the profit with the cable/sat companies. They know that the ever increasing contracts are going to come to an end so this is the only way they can get the additional increased profits that they are looking for.
yep and these middle man companies are stupid to think that the tv industry needs them to push their product to the masses.
something is very wrong with an industry when the big 4 service providers lost subscribers but turned a profit on equipment fee's.

yep and these middle man companies are stupid to think that the tv industry needs them to push their product to the masses.
something is very wrong with an industry when the big 4 service providers lost subscribers but turned a profit on equipment fee's.

EXACTLY! Because you can only make money on your equipment fees , you will see your total numbers continue to drop. IF your younger generations never subscribe to the company because of high equipment fees and dvr fees , and older subs are dieing out literally by the day, then you have a recipe for what the industry is now experiencing. Pay tv is losing subs across the board . Hell even DIRECTV has lost 24,000 subs this last quarter, double what DISH did at 12,000 subs. Something has to change if they want to salvage the current pay tv industry.

IF they can't get the channel companies to drop their programming prices that leaves the pay tv companies to drop what they can on their end. Starting with the ridiculous high equipment fees. Back in 2010 DISH started this escalation with their new additional receiver structure that put a 2nd 722k on your account at $17.00 from what was then $7.00. Then they decided this year to hike the 2nd hopper price on your account from $7.00 to $12.00. Add to that the idea to get even greedier and bring back the HD access fee for $10.00 after your 24 month commitment was up. Great recipe for CHURN. Supposedly DISH has rescinded this last decision and has brought back HD FREE for life. IF DISH would offer some way to reduce the fees they might see some of this turn around.

Tivo has decided to offer their Tivo mini units ( like the joeys)for sale and with no monthly FEE. IF DISH would offer their joeys and super joeys for sale to customers with NO monthly fees, they would see some of their customer base return and attract even more subs to them. DISH did a decision like this a few years back when they let you pay one $40.00 fee to turn your 211k into a dvr with your own external hard drive. NO monthly fees for your dvr. This would be a Godsend for the over strapped subscriber base who want the latest technology without having to pay out the ass to have it. It would shake up the pay tv industry and would make the competition reconsider their fees as well. The consumer would win and it the companies in the mature pay tv industry would see a reprieve in their model from totally dieing out in the near future. People want something of value for their money. When your equipment fees are over half of what you pay in programming charges , there is something wrong. With flat wages going out to what is mostly the customer base of DISH , middle to lower class subs, this will continue to see declining subs counts. DISH could do what I suggest and see this reverse. The pressure from programming increases and DISH equipment and dvr fee increases running neck and neck , something has to give.

You're wasting your breathe. All the constant complaining about HOW TERRIBLE these fees are, yet NOTHING is done except continue to pay them. People can put their money where their mouth is but complaining seems to be their goal....

Reactions: KAB and ChadT41
I see a problem , I address it with a solution that I offer, that would be beneficial to both the company itself , the subscribers not only to that company ,but to the entire pay industry itself because it would shake up the market. You can call it complaining, but I call it constructive criticism that the pay tv companies badly need to hear. IF they continue down the same path as they have been, they will be headed to a dim future with less subs , and no real future. IF all you do is shake your pom poms to support your satellite provider , you are nothing but a sycophant or yes man, who tells them what they want to hear ,instead of what they NEED to hear. I don't respect yes men . I never have, never will.

I see a problem , I address it with a solution that I offer, that would be beneficial to both the company itself , the subscribers not only to that company ,but to the entire pay industry itself because it would shake up the market. You can call it complaining, but I call it constructive criticism that the pay tv companies badly need to hear. IF they continue down the same path as they have been, they will be headed to a dim future with less subs , and no real future. IF all you do is shake your pom poms to support your satellite provide , you are nothing but a sycophant or yes man, who tells them what they want to hear ,instead of what they NEED to hear. I don't respect yes men . I never have, never will.
If I was a yes man I would still be working for FPL as a maintenance superior at one of their power plants making good money.

Reactions: MikeD-C05
I honestly do not have a problem with the fees, as I choose what I want, if I feel the price tag is worth it, then subscribe to it. Again, the comparison is like telling Mercedes they are going to go out of business, because their car all decked out costs to much, because people can go buy a Kia. I know what I want/like, and what I am willing to pay. Otherwise, I would just not pay it. And not have a Mercedes. (This is an example, I do not have a Mercedes).

I see a problem , I address it with a solution that I offer, that would be beneficial to both the company itself , the subscribers not only to that company ,but to the entire pay industry itself because it would shake up the market. You can call it complaining, but I call it constructive criticism that the pay tv companies badly need to hear. IF they continue down the same path as they have been, they will be headed to a dim future with less subs , and no real future. IF all you do is shake your pom poms to support your satellite provider , you are nothing but a sycophant or yes man, who tells them what they want to hear ,instead of what they NEED to hear. I don't respect yes men . I never have, never will.
I'm still waiting to hear how you'd lower fees and still keep the company profitable. A company that sells service to 14 million subs at a loss has an even dimmer future than one that keeps a slim profit margin per sub but is losing subs slowly.

Reactions: KAB
I do more than just offer "constructive criticism", I do something about it. I only pay $7 in fees. I keep my bill under $80/month, and make changes when the rates rise, like dropping programming levels. I am a no man.

I see no problem in "you get what you pay for"...you want more, you pay more. I do have a problem with those that want the Mercedes at Kia prices.

I do more than just offer "constructive criticism", I do something about it. I only pay $7 in fees. I keep my bill under $80/month, and make changes when the rates rise, like dropping programming levels. I am a no man.

I see no problem in "you get what you pay for"...you want more, you pay more. I do have a problem with those that want the Mercedes at Kia prices.
That is great except you don't have the hopper right. Far as I can remember you are on the VIP receivers. But let me ask you something? What if this February DISH decided to go up on your dvr fee and make it the same as the hopper fee? Say $12.00 or even say $17.00 so they could use the same model as the hopper. You know $17.00 for the dvr fee and $17.00 for the 2nd 722k on your account ,similar to what they do for the hopper with $12.00 for the dvr fee and $12.00 for the 2nd hopper on your account. A way to generate some more revenue from their existing subs and possibly push them to the Hoppers so they can retire another older model of receiver they don't want to support any more. And remember DISH has done a lot of changes in their equipment fees since the 2010 changes ,when it used to be just $5.00 for an additional SD receiver and $6.00 for an additional Hd receiver and the HD fee was only $6.00. Would you then feel that maybe DISH had gone to far in their equipment fees and dvr prices?

At that point you decide if you are willing to pay for it, downgrade, or cancel it. The point we are making, is complaining about it, serves zero purpose. There are multiple options. And as longn as the fees are standard acrossed the companies, it isn't even a good argument. Now you can break down other companies fees and how they are labeled something else, but you pay for what you have one way or another. Period.

At that point you decide if you are willing to pay for it, downgrade, or cancel it. The point we are making, is complaining about it, serves zero purpose. There are multiple options. And as longn as the fees are standard acrossed the companies, it isn't even a good argument. Now you can break down other companies fees and how they are labeled something else, but you pay for what you have one way or another. Period.

IF you like paying the fees that is great , but I don't see why you object to me if I don't. If you can't see the bigger picture and what I am talking about, then that is too bad. Instead of "complaining " about my posts simply move on , put me on ignore & stop reading them or cancel your membership to this site. It serves zero purpose for you to keep posting about them ,simply because you can't understand what I am talking about.

I fully understand what you're talking about. I can return the advice. However the constant reminder of how you feel, is something that is going to detract from real discussion on the sight. You have it out there, we understand how you feel, now move on. Put them big boy pants on, and if you hve that real "constructive criticism", then instead of whining about it, offer an actual solution that will still leave the company profitable. As it was pointed out earlier, a company that has a diminishing net profit, is still going to last longer, then a company that has a consistent net loss. You have offered zero to your own argument, other then "I don't like it, but I want more". It's not just me that has told you this, so please, take heed of this. I do t care if you want to keep crying about it, but you will continuously be met with the same response until you offer more to the argument.

Status
Please reply by conversation.