CNN and HLN gone/ Dish-Turner Dispute - Now Back 11/21

Status
Please reply by conversation.
I think dish is more than just a company to Ergen. He has had numerous opportunities to sell it. He has passed those up, because I truly believe he loves dish and believes in dish's success on a personal level.

Reactions: eblkheart
I think dish is more than just a company to Ergen. He has had numerous opportunities to sell it. He has passed those up, because I truly believe he loves dish and believes in dish's success on a personal level.
He might really feel that way ,but I don't doubt for a second that he wouldn't sell it if he could get his money's worth out of it. Especially if he can't buy or merge with a cell phone company and start mobile video service with them. That is his last chance to give DISH a future and he knows it and has said as much. The future looks bleak if he can't pull it off. I still wonder why he hasn't already got this going yet. T-mobile would seem to me to be a perfect fit for DISH .

He might really feel that way ,but I don't doubt for a second that he wouldn't sell it if he could get his money's worth out of it. Especially if he can't buy or merge with a cell phone company and start mobile video service with them. That is his last chance to give DISH a future and he knows it and has said as much. The future looks bleak if he can't pull it off. I still wonder why he hasn't already got this going yet. T-mobile would seem to me to be a perfect fit for DISH .
T-mobile is about the most unfriendliest cell company when it comes to anybody that lives outside of city limits, which is a huge percentage of Dish customers.

T-mobile is about the most unfriendliest cell company when it comes to anybody that lives outside of city limits, which is a huge percentage of Dish customers.
Considering that Charlie has already lost in his bid for Sprint , has NO chance at ATT , Verizon isn't a possibility either,T-mobile is about the only cell phone company that might entertain a merger with or buyout by DISH.

Reactions: TheKrell
Ergen is worth 16.2 billion, what does he care when (or if?) this dispute with Turner gets resolved?...

Reminds me of a bumper sticker I saw waaaay back in my college days: "We're the Bell System. We don't care. We don't have to."

I don't think you know what type of person Mr. Ergen is then.

Considering that Charlie has already lost in his bid for Sprint , has NO chance at ATT , Verizon isn't a possibility either,T-mobile is about the only cell phone company that might entertain a merger with or buyout by DISH.

And furthermore, T-mobile's owner, German wireless network operator T-Mobile International AG, has openly stated they want out of the American market and want to sell. I don't understand why Dish hasn't merged or acquired T-Mobile/America already.

And furthermore, T-mobile's owner, German wireless network operator T-Mobile International AG, has openly stated they want out of the American market and want to sell. I don't understand why Dish hasn't merged or acquired T-Mobile/America already.

Probably because AT&T bid way too much for it, making it overvalued.

I could possibly see Dish and some regional players like US Cellular. They operate in 26 states.

I don't think you know what type of person Mr. Ergen is then.
No, I don't know him aside from what I was able to glean from the "Charlie Chats" during the years they did those, but when you are a person with very deep pockets, you don't necessarily have to give a rip what people think. It's still wise if you do care however...

No, I don't know him aside from what I was able to glean from the "Charlie Chats" during the years they did those, but when you are a person with very deep pockets, you don't necessarily have to give a rip what people think. It's still wise if you do care however...

He may be worth a lot but I really feel he has a passion for his company and the TV industry. If all he cared about was money he would have sold off the company years ago. Just look at DirecTV, that company has been sold off numerous times. To me those are the people who mostly just care about money.

I believe Charlie does care immensely, evidenced by the years he has fought to keep programming costs under control. If he didn't care, he would just pay them what they want and and pass along to the customer, resulting in higher prices we are paying now. As Scherrman said, that is the Directv way, or was. They have no choice now than to join the resistance. They lost 28K subs last quarter as compared to Dish's 12K.

Charlie is only worth about $1150 per sub, not that that isn't much, but if things start going badly, or a poor decision here or there, I could see that dwindling quite a bit.

Charlie is only worth about $1150 per sub, not that that isn't much, but if things start going badly, or a poor decision here or there, I could see that dwindling quite a bit.
Ergen is so wealthy, he can't become unwealthy. Worst come to worst, he can simply grind up his employees and sell the dust to Asian markets as a health remedy and make a fortune.

Charlie is only worth about $1150 per sub
Hehe, an interesting way to look at that is when someone (1 customer) bitches and moans about something and cancels their service, it's not going to get much rise out of him ! Yes, I know it can add up. Even using the 12k subscriber loss that KAB just gave, that's $13 million that he "lost" (on paper). It's been reported that he's a gambler (like, professional) and he might BET a million dollars in a game of poker.

It's not reported, he actually is/was on the blacklist in Vegas for counting cards. He loves his gambling, and that's what I like about him over Clayton. Clayton is all about trying to make everyone happy, giving them their sunshine and rainbows, while Ergen is the type to calculate and be cold to get what is going to achieve the most. I love that approach to business and love that he isn't afraid to use the courts and defend what's his. That's where his billions came in. He is a literal self made billionaire and love it when we try to "give him financial advice", while we go to work and try and work overtime to afford to eat(generally summing up the population). Even if he got out of the satellite game, you know he has so many ventures, he is set. He didn't become the 43rd richest man alive on accident(last report I read), where Clayton and Mike White have both inspire huge losses. Gotta crack a few eggs to make an omelet.

I believe Charlie does care immensely, evidenced by the years he has fought to keep programming costs under control. If he didn't care, he would just pay them what they want and and pass along to the customer, resulting in higher prices we are paying now. As Scherrman said, that is the Directv way, or was. They have no choice now than to join the resistance. They lost 28K subs last quarter as compared to Dish's 12K.
:eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek:

Reactions: jrbdmb

If that's what Charlie cares about, then I am sad to see that he has failed. Ignore the misleading TV ads for a minute - way back when (10 years ago when I first signed up) Dish had a real price advantage over DirecTV. But now when I compare similar packages Dish and DirecTV cost just about the same - maybe $2 or $3 one way or the other.

If Charlie is saving any money on programming it is going directly into his pocket. Which is what any respectable poker player would do. :) Just don't make him out to be some kind of saint, he's a shrewd and rich businessman.

Reactions: MikeD-C05
Not a saint, but he is the best that we could have. There is almost a $7 difference in the average cost per subscriber between dish and DTV. That is significant in the large scheme of things.

If that's what Charlie cares about, then I am sad to see that he has failed. Ignore the misleading TV ads for a minute - way back when (10 years ago when I first signed up) Dish had a real price advantage over DirecTV. But now when I compare similar packages Dish and DirecTV cost just about the same - maybe $2 or $3 one way or the other.

If Charlie is saving any money on programming it is going directly into his pocket. Which is what any respectable poker player would do. :) Just don't make him out to be some kind of saint, he's a shrewd and rich businessman.

But if Dish is offering the best equipment available all while still being a couple bucks cheaper than the competition, doesn't that mean anything? It would be different if Dish was offering an inferior product and was only a couple bucks cheaper, but they're not.

Reactions: JTBenson
Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)