CNN and HLN gone/ Dish-Turner Dispute - Now Back 11/21

Status
Please reply by conversation.
with these carriage disputes, makes you wonder why no network hasn't decided to let the public watch the negotiations between the TV networks and the paid TV service provider play out on a reality TV show filmed for a network, this would be a great reality show to watch talks between for example Dish and Turner unfold to see if the negotiators drops some f bombs and s bombs and other cussing that goes on.

Reactions: foghorn2
I don't even think they are negotiating now. Dish is waiting for the TBS/TNT contracts to expire in a few weeks.
I think it's Turner that is waiting. They want to negotiate and bundle the channels together. I care a lot more about channels with original programming. Then does the TBS/TNT contract expire (that's when this will ramp up)?

I don't see how CNN or HLN can be critical to the negotiations. Anyone with an internet connection can get CNN.com and HLN with clips of what is being broadcast without the commercial interruptions. Now TCM is different. You cannot watch it online without an active cable or satellite subscription.

I don't see how CNN or HLN can be critical to the negotiations. Anyone with an internet connection can get CNN.com and HLN...
That would be a good argument for Dish to use if they could get accurate data on the number of visitors to CNN's websites vs TV viewers. Even better to show historical data, presuming it works in Dish's favor, of course.

Turner is purposely waiting for the end of TBS/TNT to really screw Dish....I think it will work too sadly..... Those 2 channels show alot of NBA/MLB and probably are the main reason for this "increase". Doesnt CBS have some control of Turner too? I know during March Madness CBS works hand in hand with TBS/TNT/TruTV Etc...

Turner is purposely waiting for the end of TBS/TNT to really screw Dish....I think it will work too sadly..... Those 2 channels show alot of NBA/MLB and probably are the main reason for this "increase". Doesnt CBS have some control of Turner too? I know during March Madness CBS works hand in hand with TBS/TNT/TruTV Etc...
Tournament is joint deal with CBS and Turner. Just like MLB playoffs are joint deal with ESPN, Turner and Fox. There is no relationship between CBS and Turner.

If they ever did a reality show, then people wouldn't like the amount of money proposed for a long term deal
plus you think nowadays with other ways to communicate, would they be sitting in a office and chat?
They probably email or text each other with propositions, then they meet up in person when agreement is reached
to sign and date paperwork contracts. or they email contracts and sign electronically

Although I doubt that since they want those deals to be confidential.

If everyone had AT120 with a 211k without any extra receiver fees, DVR fees, and had free HD Dish would probably go under. Cable companies are the same way, you want that low price but don't get a DVR...

You can use a TiVo with cable though. I have a Series 3 TiVo that I used to use. When I had to switch to DISH (cable disconnected from the building due to adjacent building being demolished), I called to cancel TiVo and they offered me the $99 lifetime deal, which I took. After I move - that makes cable possibly a more attractive option.

You can use a TiVo with cable though. I have a Series 3 TiVo that I used to use. When I had to switch to DISH (cable disconnected from the building due to adjacent building being demolished), I called to cancel TiVo and they offered me the $99 lifetime deal, which I took. After I move - that makes cable possibly a more attractive option.

I currently use TiVo with lifetime and cable card to save on cable fees. The cable company discounts cable TV a lot when bundled with internet. I suppose they think they will make it all back with equipment fees. In my case they are not raking it in... (OK, they are raking it in with the high internet price, but less than they hoped by offering cheap bundles).

Why TNT? NBA fan or something else? The first time I will miss this channel is NCAA time in March.
Maybe something else. I am a IU grad and a Colts fan. I just find I can't sit still long enough or follow a game on TV. The way I look at it, one team will win, one team will loose. I really could not care how it gets done, why not just flip a coin?

No need for players either, so no high salaries to pay, and in turn, no outrageous fees for ESPN, TV contracts, etc. Our rates will finally have the chance to go down!

No need for players either, so no high salaries to pay, and in turn, no outrageous fees for ESPN, TV contracts, etc. Our rates will finally have the chance to go down!

Good one! When have you ever seen the programming rates go down?

Yeah I just saw a Turner propaganda ad on TBS saying to switch providers as "Dish is willing to drop TNT & TBS soon. You already lost our other networks and you may soon lose those two as well. Switch providers today so you won't miss your favorite programming on our networks today!"

Interesting: Here's what Turner's side of the story is from that website:

We are disappointed in the aggressive nature of the comments from Dish Network, particularly given the fact that Dish agreed to our rates and carriage proposals weeks ago. We were supportive of the Dish OTT effort and had found common ground on the major issues there. While there were clearly deal points to get done, they were not the type you would usually go dark over. So it is still unclear to us exactly what this dispute is about. We've been told our networks were taken down because we would not move an expiration date later in the year.

Other top 5 distributors have signed up for what Dish has walked away from. The value of the Turner news, entertainment, kids and young adult brands and content are reflected in the leadership positions they hold across the media landscape. That includes 5 of the top 30 cable networks. So we honestly have no idea what Dish was talking about yesterday.

We've had a long-term relationship with Dish that has been good for both of us. That's one of the reasons we agreed to multiple extensions during this negotiation process and have worked diligently to address their issues. We stayed at the table even after Dish removed our networks from their service and we’re hopeful we can get a deal done in the near future.

http://savemyshows.com/what-you-should-know/

EDIT: These comments are from a press release dated Nov 5th, 2014:
https://pressroom.turner.com/us/tur...adcasting-responds-dish-comments#.VGwINdLF-So

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts