CNN and HLN gone/ Dish-Turner Dispute - Now Back 11/21

Status
Please reply by conversation.
Looks like it might be lights out for TNT and TBS for Dish on Dec 5th as according the this article ( see link) negotiations are at a stand still.
The article does point out that both TNT's and TBS's ratings are sagging. It also mentions TNT's NBA package which could be used as leverage.
Quite frankly, I could not care less about the NBA. Although I would miss TNT's summer lineup, a couple shows in particular, TNT could go away and I'd hardly notice. TBS is never watched in my house. Nobody cares here. There's nothing on there that interests me except the MLB playoffs, but I can get them elsewhere.
http://www.fiercecable.com/story/tw.../2014-11-19?utm_medium=nl&utm_source=internal

Reactions: MikeD-C05
Ditto here on the NBA - after the Sonics left Seattle, I tuned out. What I WILL miss is the NCAA tournament games that are on the Turner family channels but that is not until March. Also miss TCM but can live without it.

That said, I don't think Dish can get away with cranking up prices if these are still dark in the first few months of 2015.

Reactions: TheKrell and satjay
Falling Skies and The Last Ship are the only things I watch on TNT and they won't be back until next summer. :)

Reactions: space86
if TBS and TNT get removed, then Conan O'Brien loses me as a viewer for the duration of the dispute, i will switch to watching The Daily Show at 10 PM CT on Comedy Central on Tuesday-Thursday and watch at 12:05 AM CT on Mondays due to the WWE Raw 10 PM CT overrun segment that can spill over to 10:10 to 10:15 PM CT sometimes. i hope they reach an new deal before then as now we have a date and the most important channels of the Time Warner/Turner suite of channels are now on the line.

i bet one of the big reasons for the dispute being still ongoing and nasty is Dish is ticked at Time Warner for wanting to launch HBO as a stand alone service online. i can see the rest of the Turner channels joining HBO as well as Cinemax in going to a direct stand alone stream without the need of a paid TV providers help.

i bet one of the big reasons for the dispute being still ongoing and nasty is Dish is ticked at Time Warner for wanting to launch HBO as a stand alone service online. i can see the rest of the Turner channels joining HBO as well as Cinemax in going to a direct stand alone stream without the need of a paid TV providers help.
I doubt Dish is too concerned with HBO stand alone. They probably don't make much on it to begin with. And they are practically giving it away to those who ask for 1/2 off for six months as an appeaser. Don't count on it being cheap, either.

This is a trend that I find very disturbing. In my over 10 years with Dish I've seen a lot of this stuff and I know Dish isn't alone here but it sure seems like it's just one thing after another. It doesn't matter if you like TNT or TBS because next time it may be something you do like.

Reactions: soaphauler
This is a trend that I find very disturbing. In my over 10 years with Dish I've seen a lot of this stuff and I know Dish isn't alone here but it sure seems like it's just one thing after another. It doesn't matter if you like TNT or TBS because next time it may be something you do like.
The next dispute could well be something that makes me change providers. I may not be all that happy about it, but it won't really upset me.

I think the most prophetic thing Charlie said during the conference call was that the days of every service having essentially the same content is coming to an end. I think he is right, and don't really have a problem with the concept.

Agree, but it's always the same question - who is at fault? Greedy networks? Cheapskate Charlie? Probably both, and no signs of this going away.

However, I think the HBO OTT service is a relevant point here, because if it succeeds for customers and HBO, the old-style mammoth channel bundle may actually start to die out. Why use Dish or Direct or Comcast as a middleman when you don't need them? (The next step is for ISPs to shrink down speeds/data without 'opting up' for these OTT services. They always get you somehow . . .)

Interesting observation...As with anything though, once it's gone, we eventually get used to it.
Not too far off, it becomes irrelevant as we find ways to compensate.
In other words, there is not a single tv program or sporting even for that matter( huge sports fan here) that I could not live without. If it's gone, it's gone.
I can wallow in the muck about it. Or I can move on.
For example, I'm a pretty loyal hockey fan. When the NHL and ESPN failed to come to an agreement and the NHL essentially left Dish( no VS back then), I was pissed. I got over it.
I think with all these disputes, we have to channel "I'll get over it" until we get to the point where we think " ya know, maybe this satellite thing just isn't worth it anymore"...And we move on( cancel the service)
Ya know what? That is OUR leverage.
If enough people just get soured enough on these contract issues and loss of services decide it's time to rethink our TV provider or whether we even want pay tv anymore, then maybe that's when the providers will realize, "what the hell just happened"..

We've been told our networks were taken down because we would not move an expiration date later in the year.

IF Dish kept them up without a contract, wouldn't they be in violation? Am I missing something here Turner? If you made them expire, I think Dish HAS to take the networks down. They didn't have a choice.

If Dish holds it's ground, I wonder what will happen when Direct or any other carrier's come up for negotiation. If Turner tries the same thing, will the other carrier's take Dish's lead and so no. If so, I wonder what Turner's next move would be.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts