CNN headline: TiVo: Jackson stunt most replayed moment ever

Status
Please reply by conversation.

AcuraCL

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Jan 7, 2004
I don't have Tivo. And this kind of stuff is why I don't think I ever would.

What are they thinking, "listening in" on what people are watching/recording/replaying?

If I'm paying for a service like this, I want privacy with it. I don't want to be wondering who's watching what I watch ....

AcuraCL - Do you have a link to that article?

SlicerMDM - You can opt out of Tivo's collection program. All you need to do is call them. There is no personal information attached to what they collect. You can read about it in their manual. Compared to some of the other things you are monitored with it is pretty benign.

Here is an article from Tivo's website

Does TiVo Know What I Am Watching?

45-16-16 Search Reference Number

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

TiVo knows how important personal privacy is to you, so we designed our system and established strict policies to help protect the privacy of your Personally Identifiable Viewing Information.

The TiVo DVR collects certain types of information from its users, including Anonymous Viewing Information, Diagnostic Information, Commerce Information, and Service Information. TiVo has no way to access any of your Personally Identifiable Viewing Information from your DVR without your prior consent. Without your consent, the TiVo service has no way of knowing what shows you, as an individual or household, have watched, recorded, or rated with "Thumbs Up" or "Thumbs Down."

TiVo does collect Anonymous Viewing Information. Information about viewing choices made while using your DVR (but that does not identify you as an individual or household) is collected. In other words, there is no personally identifiable information associated with the viewing information that could identify the viewing information as coming from you or your household. TiVo also collects Diagnostic Information from a small number of randomly sampled DVRs for quality control purposes. If you do not want either your Anonymous Viewing Information or Diagnostic Information used in any way, simply tell us by calling our toll free number (1-877-367-8486).

If you affirmatively elect to engage in a commercial transaction using the TiVo service, for example by responding to an advertisement on the TiVo service, TiVo will collect and disclose your Commerce Information to the commerce partner fulfilling the transaction.

We encourage you to read our complete Privacy Policy.

Here is a link to their Privacy Policy

Ok. That's fine with me.

Anonymous usage stats can actually be pretty interesting.

Yes, the Tivo response is marginally reassuring ....

But do you choose to "opt in" when web sites want to plant spyware on your computer, and assure you that it in no way identifies you ....?

It just creeps me out, and no, I have nothing to feel guilty about !

Btw, can anyone explain why PVRs have monthly charges? I mean, a good reason beyond the company's bottom line? Dish and Tivo both do it. How does it cost them anything that they have to recover? How do they justify it? I had been sent a Dish 510 unit, not knowing there was a monthly fee, and I sent it back upon learning of it. I can understand why people want the versatility of such recording units (though I didn't feel like I needed it personally).

Btw, can anyone explain why PVRs have monthly charges? I mean, a good reason beyond the company's bottom line? Dish and Tivo both do it. How does it cost them anything that they have to recover? How do they justify it? I had been sent a Dish 510 unit, not knowing there was a monthly fee, and I sent it back upon learning of it. I can understand why people want the versatility of such recording units (though I didn't feel like I needed it personally).

The Tivo fee is charged due to the extra guide data that is required to be collected in order to make the name based recording work. The networks must upload there schedules so that Tivo has the information. Its kind of like buying a monthly TV Guide except that it is built into the Tivo. This information is in addition to the standard information that is available on the DirecTV guide. I would think that D* could integrate this into their service but I am not that knowledgeable in how it all actually works. I do not understand what E* charges for. All their stuff is time based....

AcuraCL said:
Yes, the Tivo response is marginally reassuring ....

But do you choose to "opt in" when web sites want to plant spyware on your computer, and assure you that it in no way identifies you ....?

It just creeps me out, and no, I have nothing to feel guilty about !

True, it's similar but for some reason "a website putting spyware on my computer" has a VERY negative aspect about it. It wreaks of them collecting info about me, so they can sell it to companies that will annoy me with phone calls and spam that I don't want.

Whereas, "Tivo collecting usage info" seems more like they're interested in how people are using their product, possibly to improve it. I guess I trust Tivo more than I do a website and spyware. Maybe I shouldn't.

Plus, I visit a LOT of different websites and having all of them collect data on me is absurd. If I had 50 - 100 different pieces of hardware around my house sending info to the manufacturerer I'd probably be against that.

AcuraCL said:

I think the biggest reason they charge (at least in the case of D* and E*, where a guide already exists) is BECAUSE PEOPLE WILL PAY FOR IT.

E* is a perfect example of this. They used to NOT have a fee, now they DO. People complained but I'm sure they didn't lose any significant sales. What were E* subs gonna do? All other choices required a fee so, pay it or lose your DVR.

Personally, I agree with what you're saying. That's why it took me so long to actually get a DVR. I've had a Tivo about 3 months now and LOVE it. But before getting it, couldn't get past the fact that they're charging me to use something I just bought!

AcuraCL said:
I don't have Tivo. And this kind of stuff is why I don't think I ever would.

What are they thinking, "listening in" on what people are watching/recording/replaying?

If I'm paying for a service like this, I want privacy with it. I don't want to be wondering who's watching what I watch ....

They "can track second-by-second activity of TV viewers, can give industry clients more detail about the shows and advertisements that are watched and at what point viewers turn away from a show or ad."

http://tinyurl.com/26u59

Jerry

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)