Status
Please reply by conversation.

frodoz737

Active SatelliteGuys Member
Original poster
Mar 5, 2009
Texas
Hi all,

Just joined yesterday and there is alot of info in here. Probably more than I will ever need. Question on introduction page about multiswitch was answered right away. Thanks again.

Question now is do I really need a Coax Ground Block where the cables go into the building? Have purchased a Palidin 3GHz unit, but know that less breaks in coax is better. Mast is "properly" grounded

System is an old 18" round, single element, dual LNB, with standard service. Currently only one cable to one port of LNB to one receiver is utilized. Legal subsciption but is at work.

We are replacing cable with twin run from dish to multi, then single runs to receivers. Run from dish to building entry is 85', with a total run of apx. 240' to multiswitch. Passive in-line 15-20 amps to be used between multi and receivers. Cable is Belden 7916A with F-Conn FS6U connectors.

Not working tonight so have time to discuss. :hungry:

The dish is grounded, which protects the dish. However, you need the grounding block to protect the cables, and thus the equipment connected to them. With good compression type fittings you won't have signal loss, at least not a noticable one.

:)Thanks William1 and jdspencer.

My research gave me pretty much this same info. Just needed confirmation due to conflict with coworker helping with install.
Passive amps are being added after multi primarilly because of the long run, but also to compensate for any loss at the ground disconnects.

Can you confirm if I really need "Terminators" for unused ports on the multiswitch?

FYI, I have about 8 barrels (the reason is valid, but lengthy, so do not ask) on my 100' run from my SWM to the IRD. I have one barrel on my other IRD. Both IRD's have the same signal strength. Key is using quality connectiors, good compression fittings, good cable, wrench tightened fittings and no connections exposed to the elements.

Only use an amp if you must. Make sure your dish is peaked right before you add the amp.

To quote myself: "... there is alot of info in here. Probably more than I will ever need."
However thanks for the heads up on SWM. This is a simple installation for "work". STD svc, dual LNB, twin runs to ground block to reg. multiswitch, single runs to receivers, good cable and conns. Sweet, simple and to the point.
Will seal outside connectors, RTV ground terminals and "terminate/cap" unused ports just as a matter of Standards & Practices. There only $.59 ea. Tossed an amp on as it's used now and did seem to improve. Checking dish alingment is a given.

Thanks for help. Will advise after install is complete.

DO NOT terminate switches you are setting youreslf up for failure... if you really need to terminate them make sure to pull the resistor out of them!

Just curious... you mentioned a "legal Subscription" but at work... you do realize that D* takes Mirroring a Residential account to a Commercial Location to court and wins every time with some serious fines, like minimum of $10,000 per receiver.

If you have a Commercial Account with D* Disregard :)

Since your Certified. Care to clarify "Terminators on unused ports of multiswitch" question as it applies specifically to my application?

Will seal outside connectors, RTV ground terminals and "terminate/cap" unused ports just as a matter of Standards & Practices.

You mentioned SEAL outside connections ...
What are you sealing them with ?
Make sure you can get back into them with out too much trouble in case you need to at a future date.

Jimbo

We are replacing cable with twin run from dish to multi, then single runs to receivers. Run from dish to building entry is 85', with a total run of apx. 240' to multiswitch. Passive in-line 15-20 amps to be used between multi and receivers. Cable is Belden 7916A with F-Conn FS6U connectors.
in line amps shouldnt be necessary for this cable run

Sealing with F4 Tape and Boot. Will try amps, if no difference on final, will not use. One less break in the line.

I have overstaying my welcome with this stupid question of terminators, as it applies, but web search comes up about half and half with the answer.

Clarification, the third "input" will not be used with the 3x4 multiswitch.

Found this: http://www.satelliteinstaller.com/My eBooks/zinwell_WB68_warning.pdf. Can any one link me to other "Documentation", so I can put this to rest. Know this is petty, but right now it's like a nose hair you can't get to.

All Respect and Thanks.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

"Moving"

HR-23 DVR

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts