COAX Question

DP1962

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Jul 19, 2005
I want to replace my C-Band dish with Dish Network, my question is can I use the same lead in cable? I understand the new dish requires RG-6 coax, the lead from the C-Band dish has no marking that I can find, other than the manufacturer name of Belden, date wise this cable was purchased in about 1992 if that makes a difference, does anyone know if this cable will perform properly for the Dish Network setup?

the rg59 will work with legacy. dishpro needs the rg6. if it is from 92, my guess is that it would be rg59. you could hook up the new dish and see if it works, if not, replace the cable. if you have it installed professionaly, they will run the new wire for you.

welcome to the site.

You can usually feel the difference between RG6 and RG59. RG6 will feel heavier and is generally thicker. Now if it's direct bury cable, all bets are off. RG59 can work with DishPro, but it doesn't mean it will work. The longer the run the lower the probability it will work.

As Korsjs said, worst case you can't use it and you have to run a new cable. It's not going to hurt anything to try.

Thanks guys

On the install part, I was told if the Dish wasn't mounted on the house and the cable had to be buried that was my responsibility, am I being BS'd? I thought it sounded a little out of line but I've known the guy I'm dealing with for years, the run from the pole to the house would be about 60', should that be part of the "free" install?

Just be safe and use RG-6 (the higher the frequency the better such as 2250-3000 MHZ/2.25 GHZ to 3 GHZ). That will work with DishPro and work with anything that you would want to do with it.

What you can do is hook up your existing cable. Then check 119 transponders 11 and 12. They're strength should be within 5 units. If 12 is significantly lower you should change cable.

While most cband dishes do use RG-6 lots of it isn't rated to carry high frequencies very efficiently. I would try to go with legacy lnbs and switches if you can. I've found DishPro to have some problems using the cband wire, even number transponders will have very low signal or drop out altogether.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)