Cold = no signal

Status
Please reply by conversation.

pjcl

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Nov 9, 2008
Earth
I have been having an interesting problem: when the temperature outside falls under 45 F or so, I can't signal off of my KU dish. C-Band comes is fine (cables linked to an Ecoda switch), but no KU. The only way to avoid this is to keep the box turned on, even during the night. In the morning, if I turn off the power, it will take a few loooong minutes for the signal to return. I have recently replaced all the cable ends, but the problem persists. ???

Sounds like your looking at a bad LNBF or at least one that's doesn't like the cold.

yup had that happen before. Had a C-Band lNB that anything below +10F the H side wouldnt work

Check all connections and switches

I had a DN LNBF that acted this way when the air temperature got warm. It would work during the night when it was cold, but when the sun came up over the hill and started warming the ambient temp, the signal would start dropping out from one of the polarities. I attributed it to a cold solder joint somewhere inside the LNBF. The more often the temp change between night and day occurred, the worse it got until it finally failed hard and wouldn't work at any temperature.

But, before replacing the LNBF, do as Ice recommended, check all cables/connectors and switches first as it may not be the LNBF itself, but the signal path enroute between the LNBF and the IRD. In our cases (Ice's and mine) we were losing just one polarity. That is more likely to be a fault within the LNBF. You are losing your entire Ku band, so it could possibly be the feed cable/connections to the Ku LNBF just as easily as it could be the LNBF itself.

Since I deem it rare for a LNBF to fail, I would power down and reseat all the cable connectors and replace any that appear to have any signs of corrosion or oxidization first. Then monitor your signal again while the temp changes.

RADAR

Last edited:
LNB, uh? I hadn't thought of that... must be it, since I had replaced *all* connectors and even the outside cable! Thanks, guys! I'll let you know if it works, I have a spare LNB somewhere.

Status
Please reply by conversation.