Cold Weather killed Polorizer

Status
Please reply by conversation.

coinmaster32

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Sep 25, 2010
USA
I got a like-new polorizer from someone and after seeing a couple 20 degree days, my polorizer quit on me.

The unit might have failed, but it could only have moisture in the mechanics that is freezing up. Try removing the unit, bring inside and place in front of a fan for a day. Verify the unit can be controlled by connecting directly to the rear of the receiver then reintroduce outside on a warmer day.

Will do, but its gonna be a pain in the behind. I will have to get new scotchlocks when i reinstall it.

Considering the amount of heat they have to work in during the summer, then turn around and work in the freezing cold it is amazing that they last as long as they do. Ive seen them work in the cold and not the heat, I hope your dish is low enough to the ground to do a quick change mine is 11 feet in the air and quite the pain to do anytime of the year.

One mistake I made was putting mine in without watching it turn the first time. It was binding and I was not getting some of the channels in that well. I thought it was bad servo motor. Then I took it off and watched it turn off the feed horn. It was good. The probe was set in the wrong position. I just had to set the probe right to let it be able to flip back and forth. So far so good.

LNBF guys, LNBF.
I've recently gone through my parts and tossed out a few of those ancient polarotor-type feeds layin' around. Too much hassle, and most FTA boxes can't change the polarity with those things.

I can't figure out why mine DONT die, lol, so I can replace with lnbfs. It's been at least 5yrs since I had to replace one, must've got some good ones, with the amount of twisting they do around here. Now, I said it, all of them will go out at once tomorrow, probably!

I can't figure out why mine DONT die, lol, so I can replace with lnbfs. It's been at least 5yrs since I had to replace one, must've got some good ones, with the amount of twisting they do around here. Now, I said it, all of them will go out at once tomorrow, probably!

Got you beat by a bit Turbo ;), mines probably dieing as I type this, but here is my story:

You guys are probably going to hate me but my polorotor motor came with the feed installed in May of 1989... yes 1989 :eek:. It is a national ADL C band feed with the tiger motor and the nylon spacer block between the feed and motor. It has turned from 60 below zero wind chills to 100+ in the summer. Before I got an ADL feed I was changing motors like crazy on my Chaparrel polorotor. One thing one never wants to do is run the polorotor at it's stops. Back off at least one click. If you still can't get a good signal your polor axis needs to be adjusted so your sweep lies in the range comfortably. The nylon spacer I think is the trick to make them work well in cold weather. ADL really made a hell of a feed back in the day. This is the RP1C feed.

Last edited:
Good info there pro>I went through a few polarity motors before I learned how to tell when they were at the stops (and burning up lol). Everybody who just now is getting into c-band needs to know about that, if they aren't using lnbfs.

Until they make a c band lnbf with +-500khz accuracy for blind scanning, polorizers will still be used.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts